MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you consider Novak Djokovic as a legend in the game? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=196151)

Nole Rules 01-29-2012 06:19 PM

Do you consider Novak Djokovic as a legend in the game?

IMO he is already a legend in the game and he can be greater.

Sound2k10 01-29-2012 06:22 PM

Re: Do you consider Djokovic a legend in the game?

Not yet. Don't forget a year ago Djokovic only had 1 slam and really wasn't doing anything special. A lot can change in a year and he'll need to keep it up for much longer but he's well on his way. Although I hope Murray can step up and challenge him for slams on a regular basis.

Roamed 01-29-2012 06:22 PM

He's a great player. Not yet a legend. Legend status is reached at 8+ slams in my opinion.

Fujee 01-29-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roamed (Post 11700962)
He's a great player. Not yet a legend. Legend status is reached at 8+ slams in my opinion.

not true, santoro is a legend and he has 0 slams :)

ballbasher101 01-29-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

This. He is a new version of Agassi and like Agassi he should reach 8 majors. He needs three more majors to be considered one of the greats. Of particular importance is winning the French open at least once.

SheepleBuster 01-29-2012 06:27 PM

Bigger than Nadal. Absolutely.

MatchFederer 01-29-2012 06:27 PM

Yes, I do. I think these Slams are more impressive feats than what Agassi was doing in the late 90's earlier 2000's. Agassi is still greater no problem but Nole is already taking on an aura of legendary proportions. To me, he's already a legend.

Nole Rules 01-29-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

So McEnroe is not a legend in your opinion?

EddieNero 01-29-2012 06:30 PM

If he completes Nadal Slam at RG I'd definitely consider him as a legend. Beating Rafa in every slam final is absolutely exceptional.

SheepleBuster 01-29-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nole Rules (Post 11700988)
So McEnroe is not a legend in your opinion?

He is American, isn't he? That disqualifies him. :devil:

romismak 01-29-2012 06:31 PM

I think he is, the way he dominates one of best players ever, the way he dethrone Roger-Rafa from No.1 and slams, end their duopoly he is, btw for comparing since when was Rafa legend? i donīt know if 5 is too low number, maybe yes but i still feel-his last 3 slams were special in history-winning Wimbledon against defending champion and becoming No.1 on surface you are worst, than winning USO being down 2MP , greatest player is serving and than you beat Rafa in at that time most physicall demanding match of his life probably - so basically taking down 2 all time greats one from 2mP and 0:2 on sets and the other one defending champion in super physically demanding match. And now AO, that SF-F combo is comparable to Rafaīs SF-F combo in 09. those 3 slams are one of best achievements in history i think.

NID 01-29-2012 06:32 PM

5 slams
3 slams in a row
5 MS tournaments in a year, a lot of them altogether
one of the longest winning streaks in history
a lot of epic matches with his main rivals, some won, some lost...but a LOT of them absolute thrillers.

'legend' is just a label. different people will ascribe it a different meaning and set a different threshold for earning that label.
he is one of the all time open era greats already. hopefully, this is not his last achievement. not bad for someone who was labelled a one-slam-wonder year and a half ago.

Capuccino 01-29-2012 06:33 PM

Re: Do you consider Novak Djokovic as a legend in the game?

He is absolutelutely a legend

Sophocles 01-29-2012 06:33 PM

Yes, for ending the Fedal duopoly he is already a legend. Rene Lacoste didn't win 18 slams but he's still a legend for getting the better of Bill Tilden.

Branimir 01-29-2012 06:34 PM

Nole is legends' legend.