MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Federer on surface homogenisation (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=195928)

romismak 01-26-2012 01:33 PM

Federer on surface homogenisation

Roger said this after his AO loss to Rafa on press conference. His english is great so we can be sure what he said he mean-there canīt be no language misunderstanding

Anyway, every surface is very similar today, otherwise we couldn't have achieved all these things on all these different surfaces so quickly, like him and myself.

So what do you think about that? Probably he was meaning that more on Rafa, that probably whe wouldnīt achieve career slam, he said so quickly - and similar surfaces so that can only mean career slam achievement i think.

Sophocles 01-26-2012 01:34 PM

Re: Roger admitted that surface homogenization helped him and Rafa

It was his most open & honest presser yet.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel 01-26-2012 01:38 PM

100% agree

i'm starting to put pete back up on my goat list

maybe on a medium slow court beat wouldnt beat federer

but

if we had all fast courts and indoor carpets- pete would bagel federer and nadal

without diversity no one can be considered goat from this era

laver played (and beat everyone) on carpet, wood super fast- super slow courts

ballbasher101 01-26-2012 01:45 PM

It has mainly benefited Nadal I think. Federer has always had the game to play on fast courts. He abandoned serve and volley when he realised it was getting him nowhere due to the changing courts. Wimbledon has become a joke. If you serve and volley at SW19 you will get slaughtered for sure unless you have a Karlovic serve.

Quadruple Tree 01-26-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis-hero (Post 11681688)
100% agree

but

if we had all fast courts and indoor carpets- pete would bagel federer and nadal

19 year old Federer beat Sampras on the old Wimbledon grass playing serve and volley when Pete was on a 30 match winning streak. It was the match of 2001, so you are either like 10 years old or just being a willful idiot. Since you've heard of Laver, I'm going with the latter.

SheepleBuster 01-26-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis-hero (Post 11681688)
100% agree

but

without diversity no one can be considered goat from this era

laver played (and beat everyone) on carpet, wood super fast- super slow courts

Pete Sampras? Are you serious? Haha. The guy wouldn't take a set off these guys in these blue clay conditions of today. He wouldn't be top 4 at his best in this day and age when the courts are so slow

Spierbal 01-26-2012 02:00 PM

Indeed, everybody has the chance to profit the same way in this era and is effectively in the same boat in terms of technology, surface homogenization. In terms of GOAT, variety of surfaces should be consideration... Laver holds the edge slightly IMO, unfortunately Roger's campaign to be GOAT is derailed by his lack of mental strength.

Now, I remember somewhere Rod Laver saying that Roger has all the shots you needed to be successful in the 60's and he is able to succeed in any era, I am not sure about Rafa in that regard.

BodyServe 01-26-2012 02:02 PM

Guys like Soderling, Berdych, Tsonga, Raonic ... would grab titles on very fast courts, guys like Ferrer, Monfils, Murray ... would win titles on very slow courts, well you get the idea.

Federer is right with this.

rickcastle 01-26-2012 02:29 PM

He's right. It has definitely helped Djokovic and Nadal more than him though. At least he won his earlier grandslams before the homogenization became ridiculous.

Sunset of Age 01-26-2012 02:31 PM

Stating the obvious. And yes, it has benefitted them BOTH.

iriraz 01-26-2012 02:35 PM

Yep,it`s disappointing to see every tournament played in the same way basically.I don`t have anything against the top guys but back in the day u had top guys on every surface,nowaydays u exepect the same guys to do well everywhere.Lack of variety is clear
It would have been fun if Wimbledon surface would have been the same as 10-15 years ago.Someone like Llodra or Lopez certainly could have done damage with their game there.

paseo 01-26-2012 02:36 PM

Of Course!!

BroTree123 01-26-2012 02:38 PM

Proud of Fed. Starting to admit he's not the kind of dude who's capable of beating Rafa in general terms, and still being upbeat about his career no matter what haters think :yeah:.

tommyg6 01-26-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballbasher101 (Post 11681708)
It has mainly benefited Nadal I think. Federer has always had the game to play on fast courts. He abandoned serve and volley when he realised it was getting him nowhere due to the changing courts. Wimbledon has become a joke. If you serve and volley at SW19 you will get slaughtered for sure unless you have a Karlovic serve.

Damn rights. If the courts went back the way they're supposed to play, Rafa would've won only French Open titles. I think it's a black mark in our game if a monkey like him can win Wimbledon against Roger and also, Rafa actually believe he's so good that he is fuckin delusional, look in the mirror you monkey, the courts helped you cuz without it, you're just another claycourt one surface wonder.

tommyg6 01-26-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spierbal (Post 11681746)
Indeed, everybody has the chance to profit the same way in this era and is effectively in the same boat in terms of technology, surface homogenization. In terms of GOAT, variety of surfaces should be consideration... Laver holds the edge slightly IMO, unfortunately Roger's campaign to be GOAT is derailed by his lack of mental strength.

Now, I remember somewhere Rod Laver saying that Roger has all the shots you needed to be successful in the 60's and he is able to succeed in any era, I am not sure about Rafa in that regard.

The only era Rafa could suceed in is this area - the mug era. Cuz he wouldn't stand a chance in the 90s against the likes of Sampras, Becker, Rafter, Ivanisevic and the true grass courters.