MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's the problem with french tennis?? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=195776)

yuri27 01-23-2012 11:28 AM

What's the problem with french tennis??

Honestly guys, it's becoming more and more embarassing.
No GS won by a male player for almost 30 years despite the fact they have more ressources invested in tennis and more players than all the 4 countries represented by the currently top 4 combined.
How can it be explained??
Mental strenght?? well, if it was really a french specifity then they wouldn't perform as well as they do in other sports (team sports especially).
Not good enough?? perhaps.........
Unlucky??? 30 years of no luck?? give me a break.......
A bit of both?? probably.....

Adri89 01-23-2012 11:30 AM

Re: What's the problem with french tennis??

The current top 4 is just too good for everyone, not just for french players. Actually frenchs players are among the best players just after the top 4. Tsonga, Monfils, Gasquet are very good players and France have decent results in DC those last years.

Mystique 01-23-2012 11:32 AM

No magic potion maybe? :lol:

rinnegan 01-23-2012 11:34 AM

You're being too hard on them. I like watching French players. They're just unlucky.

alter ego 01-23-2012 11:36 AM

Nothing wrong with them.

Gagsquet 01-23-2012 11:38 AM

Gasquet doesn't believe in him. He plays the best tennis to lose. A tactical headcase.
Piatti should me be mad watching him 2 meters behind the baseline trying to grind out Ferrer :facepalm:
He should have played S&V and chip and charge. Perhaps, he would have lost too but it couldn't have been worse than he did.

shadows 01-23-2012 11:38 AM

Current top 3 + Murray are too good.

Tsonga is inconsistent and has obvious flaws in his game that limit him. With luck he could still win a slam should he remain injury free.
Monfils is an idiot who always gets injured
Simon's got about as many weapons as Iceland
Gasquet's a flake.

I don't think there's anything wrong with french tennis structurally since you're producing a lot of good players, you just haven't had quite the right player come along lately to be really great.

kinski76 01-23-2012 11:40 AM

French tennis has the best mix of characters and variety of game styles bar none. Which makes them fascinating to follow, even if they don't rack up slams.

scoutreporter 01-23-2012 11:41 AM

whats wrong with Serbia? Only 8mill ppl, one of the best nations to all ball games, from tennis, to volleyball,waterpolo,football,basketball and handball... And all that despite not using money on young talents at all, in all sports...

Mae 01-23-2012 11:46 AM

U.S. tennis has been very poor for some time now so I'm not pointing any fingers at the French tennis players for sure!

leng jai 01-23-2012 11:47 AM

Not Gasquet thats for sure.

yuri27 01-23-2012 11:52 AM

On second thought, i would say luck plays a big part.
Take tsonga: the guy would have most certainly won a Slam during the 90's but the slowness of surfaces since 2000 + the huge improvment in term of défensive skills through some players(nadal,djoker, Murray) make it almost impossible for him to win a grand slam unless he considerably improves his bh and his defensive play.......or unless ATP creates an indoor GS.

yuri27 01-23-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mae (Post 11665177)
U.S. tennis has been very poor for some time now so I'm not pointing any fingers at the French tennis players for sure!

Well considering all the success you had in the last 30 years,your situation is certainly not one to complain!
Hell, you even won a GS in 2003 through Roddick.
Keep in mind that tennis is the second most practiced sport in france so you can easily understand why french tennis fans are so confused about this malediction.

Gorre 01-23-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adri89 (Post 11665106)
The current top 4 is just too good for everyone, not just for french players. Actually frenchs players are among the best players just after the top 4. Tsonga, Monfils, Gasquet are very good players and France have decent results in DC those last years.

All these players are talented and have a big potential, no doubt. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. A prime example of this was a match between Monfils and Kukushkin ...:shrug:

yuri27 01-23-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorre (Post 11665231)
All these players are talented and have a big potential, no doubt. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. A prime example of this was a match between Monfils and Kukushkin ...:shrug:

Monfils was apparently injured in that match though.