MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More talented: Sebastien Grosjean or Richard Gasquet (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=194076)

Forehander 12-27-2011 05:50 PM

More talented: Sebastien Grosjean or Richard Gasquet

Both have lethal weapons but fatal flaws:

Grosjean had magnificent footwork similar to Federer gliding style and most unique awesome forehand that can generate miracle like shots from insane positions, however he also possessed one of the worst of the worst backhand ever for a top 10 player. He possesses a great serve for his height can generate up to 217kmph thanks to his brilliant smooth service motion. He wasnt the world number one in junior singles/doubles and wimbledon semi finalist (2003, 2004) twice in a row for no reason, for he also possess a fantastic touch up the net combined with a good slice. Grosjean is a difficult player to play against, his versatility, counter punching and court coverage can make opponent make heaps of unforced errors at the same time hit myriad amount of winners thanks to his cannon forehand but because the horrid backhand is such an obvious weakness players who have played him a few times will eventually know how best to counter his game (tommy haas was a good example). His backhand was weak, but that actually wasnt his main weakness - His main weak was that he was a super mental midget with choking ability second to nobody.

Gasquet as we all know have a stunning one of the best ever one handed backhand. If therre is david nalbandians or marat safins two handed backhand, then theres richard gasquets one handed backhand, its that simple. However, while his respectable senior countryman Sebastien Grosjean Big John possessed one of the worst backhand on tour, Gasquet lol possess one of the worst of the worst of the worst forehand ever. His horrid forehand is somewhat of a tradeoff for having such a beautiful backhand, for without the gripping, his backhand will not be the same despite fantastic technique. Gripping combined with a slow non flowing preperation technique forces him to continuously play weak reverse top spin forehands which constantly lands short is the lethal blow to his game. The slow footspeed doesnt help either, it forces him to play weak defensive slices, and just further exposes the weakness on the forehand side. Despite his obvioux weakness though the guy is almost unstoppable once he is given a good day when he finally find some balls to play aggressive tennis and In that regards Grosjean and Gasquet are very similar.

So who do you think is more talented? I have seen both of them live quite many times and they both ooze with talent in their sport, but my personal vote goes to my favourite Sebaastien Grosjean.

tennishero 12-27-2011 06:36 PM

Re: More talented: Sebastien Grosjean or Richard Gasquet

gasquet

rocketassist 12-27-2011 06:37 PM

Grosjean was an absolute genius and his backhand is no worse than most recent top 10ers.

asmazif 12-27-2011 06:41 PM

Seb any day of the week.

(except Tues)

Ozone 12-27-2011 07:04 PM

Gasquet in every phase of the game

Nathaliia 12-27-2011 07:09 PM

Grosjean. I love them both though.

leng jai 12-27-2011 09:05 PM

They're actually pretty similar players but I would give Grosjean the edge. Grosjean's forehand was an incredible shot and one of the most versatile ones you'll ever see. His ability to blast winners from anywhere was obscene. Besides the choking, his backhand was always exposed in big matches and could never hold up. Corretja pretty much dismantled his entire game via the backhand in their RG semi-final.

Gasquet is a slightly inferior player in most aspects but having an awesome single handed backhand always gets you noticed more.

Gagsquet 12-27-2011 10:15 PM

Gasquet of course. This kid is more talented technically than Federer but he wastes all the genius because he is mentally, tactically, physically and psychologically a massive joke.
Grosjean is the best player cause only results matter.

hicdick 12-27-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grassquet (Post 11584643)
This kid is more talented technically than Federer

:lol:

but yeah, talent-wise gasquet > grosjean.

Gagsquet 12-27-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hicdick (Post 11584651)
:lol:

but yeah, talent-wise gasquet > grosjean.

Gasquet is more naturally talented than Federer. Hard to believe but that's true. However, in professional tennis, natural talent is just one of several factors in order to be successful. And Richard sucks big time in the others factors whereas Fed is quite excellent in all of them.

leng jai 12-27-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grassquet (Post 11584675)
Gasquet is more naturally talented than Federer. Hard to believe but that's true. However, in professional tennis, natural talent is just one of several factors in order to be successful. And Richard sucks big time in the others factors whereas Fed is quite excellent in all of them.

Are you high? Gasquet lacks takent in the two most important shots in the game - serve and forehand. The only area of the game he is extremely gift in is the backhand. Federer is extremely gifted on serve, forehand, movement and effortlessness in his play.

Gagsquet 12-27-2011 11:16 PM

Gasquet's serve is underrated. Pretty good shot overall. But his fragile shoulder prevent him from using the full capacity of this shot.
And talking about his forehand would be a very long story but in a nutshell his forehand was pretty good in his young years. Then he modified it (with Benhabiles) and the shot turned into a wreck. Naturally, it was a good shot and he proves it when he uses his attacking forehand (lethal weapon) but his defensive and "waiting-shot" forehand was definitely altered, it's not his natural shot. Nevertheless I agree that Federer is more gifted than Richard in the forehand side of course.
Movement is not a technical skill so irrelevant in my point.

leng jai 12-27-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grassquet (Post 11584753)
Gasquet's serve is underrated. Pretty good shot overall. But his fragile shoulder prevent him from using the full capacity of this shot.
And talking about his forehand would be a very long story but in a nutshell his forehand was pretty good in his young years. Then he modified it (with Benhabiles) and the shot turned into a wreck. Naturally, it was a good shot and he proves it when he uses his attacking forehand (lethal weapon) but his defensive and "waiting-shot" forehand was definitely altered, it's not his natural shot. Nevertheless I agree that Federer is more gifted than Richard in the forehand side of course.
Movement is not a technical skill so irrelevant in my point.

So your argument is that Gasquet has an underrated serve vs Federer who has one of the greatest second serves ever behind Sampras. Attacking forehands that are good - 80% of the top 100 have that as well. The question is how good and how consistent. Gasquet's forehand is never consistently good and hes never dominated a match with it against a good player.

Movement is most definitely a technical skill in terms of agility - its not just about being fast. Federer in his prime was incredibly light on his feet which allowed him to adapt to most situations and rarely be out of position. Footwork is essential in tennis for your groundstrokes - its not irrelevant at all. How do you think Federer makes up for his backhand deficiencies - with his quick feet which allows him to run around the shot and hit a forehand.

rocketassist 12-27-2011 11:40 PM

Grosjean's better at everything bar the backhand.

tommyg6 12-28-2011 12:03 AM

I voted Grosjean. One of my favorite all time French players.