MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=193660)

romismak 12-08-2011 04:48 PM

Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Do you agree or not?

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...15346&zoneid=9

Tennis.com made 10 best seasons in open era, i would say Rogerīs 2006 is better, Laver won 3 slams on grass, and lost 16x that season... also in those times the physicall demand on tennis was nothing comparing to now.

Har-Tru 12-08-2011 04:52 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Yes.

Gabe32 12-08-2011 05:05 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
I don't know, I wasn't born/know nothing really about it, but it seems like it. 4 slams in one year against those opponents seems pretty impressive.

Also, I always felt like Fed was at his peak in 05-06. Still can't believe Safin snagged that AO in '05.

Dougie 12-08-2011 05:07 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by romismak (Post 11553238)
Do you agree or not?

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...15346&zoneid=9

Tennis.com made 10 best seasons in open era, i would say Rogerīs 2006 is better, Laver won 3 slams on grass, and lost 16x that season... also in those times the physicall demand on tennis was nothing comparing to now.

What pisses me off the most, is that the disrespect Laver and his peers receive here at MTF, is mostly based on assumptions like this, that are just plain wrong. Nothing compared to now?? He played 122 matches that year for money that wouldnīt make Fed or Rafa even get out of bed. Also, those guys didnīt have the luxury of tie-breaks, every set was played the long way, so while the game itself might not have been as physical as now, itīs just plain wrong to say Laver & co didnīt ultimately work just as hard.

A calendar GS is a calendar GS, hard to top that.

ssj100 12-08-2011 05:33 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
He lost too many times in probably the weakest era in professional tennis on record. So, even in relative terms, I say no way.

romismak 12-08-2011 05:35 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie (Post 11553251)
What pisses me off the most, is that the disrespect Laver and his peers receive here at MTF, is mostly based on assumptions like this, that are just plain wrong. Nothing compared to now?? He played 122 matches that year for money that wouldnīt make Fed or Rafa even get out of bed. Also, those guys didnīt have the luxury of tie-breaks, every set was played the long way, so while the game itself might not have been as physical as now, itīs just plain wrong to say Laver & co didnīt ultimately work just as hard.

A calendar GS is a calendar GS, hard to top that.

Maybe i should have wrote it is far more physicall today, what is the truth. You canīt deny it. Yes money in sport and tennis wasnīt such big part of everything like today, but we must take in count inflation, exchange-rates and so on, but still he was earning enough for those times, todayīs sport is just much more about money. Money side we canīt compare, because the difference is enourmnous. WE can compare his season to say Roger 06, Nole 11 and i am not sure if 3/4 slams on grass are good enough to have better season with 16 losses then the way Roger dominated the field in 06 and Nole did in 3/4 of this season, before he injured.

jonathancrane 12-08-2011 05:41 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by romismak (Post 11553238)
Do you agree or not?

Yes

Dougie 12-08-2011 07:05 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by romismak (Post 11553293)
Maybe i should have wrote it is far more physicall today, what is the truth. You canīt deny it. Yes money in sport and tennis wasnīt such big part of everything like today, but we must take in count inflation, exchange-rates and so on, but still he was earning enough for those times, todayīs sport is just much more about money. Money side we canīt compare, because the difference is enourmnous. WE can compare his season to say Roger 06, Nole 11 and i am not sure if 3/4 slams on grass are good enough to have better season with 16 losses then the way Roger dominated the field in 06 and Nole did in 3/4 of this season, before he injured.

We canīt compare that either, because the whole structure of the tour is so much different nowadays. Back then there were easy matches pretty much only in the first few rounds of the slams ( of which Laver won all, obviously), but other than that, the top guys, Laver, Rosewall, Roche etc. were constantly playing against each other, the draws were much smaller, and there were much more best-of-5 matches. Itīs no wonder Laver lost 16 times.

EddieNero 12-08-2011 07:27 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
69' wasn't even in the Open Era.

Dougie 12-08-2011 07:32 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieNero (Post 11553453)
69' wasn't even in the Open Era.

Yes, it was.

MIMIC 12-08-2011 07:34 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Why are so many people infatuated with how often you lose? It's where you WIN that matters most.

Johnny Groove 12-08-2011 07:49 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Laver 69 the best year of Open Era so far, yes.

asmazif 12-08-2011 08:01 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
yep.

JurajCrane 12-08-2011 08:26 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
If Fed would beat Nadal in Paris 2006 after first set 6-1 - then I say Fed 2006, no doubt about it.

But I can barely pick one year and say thatīs the best. 69 - three (!) grandslams played on grass, although I like Laver as a personality.

SetSampras 12-08-2011 08:34 PM

Re: Was Laverīs 69 season best in open era?
 
Definitely... Laver showed just how hard it is to grab the calendar slam. 42 years later and no one has managed it. Pure domination. Sure it was only grass and clay, but Laver has a ton of other titles on Hard and wood etc.

GOAT season for the greatest to ever play the game of tennis


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.