MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=193659)

Sham Kay 12-08-2011 01:20 PM

What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek?

Richard Krajicek defeated Sampras in straight sets at Wimbledon 1996 (Quarter Final) on his way to the crown.

Marat Safin defeated Federer in five sets at Australian Open 2005 (Semi Final) on his way to the crown.

Both Sampras and Federer were arguably at the peak of their powers. Krajicek was not really considered as one of the favourites as he hadn't gone past the 4th round previously, while Safin was one of the favourites. Krajicek won without too much trouble while Safin showed great resolve, saving a match point. Krajicek went on to defeat Malavai Washington in the Final, Safin defeated Hewitt.

Which victory and subsequent tournament victory was the most impressive?

Las7 12-08-2011 02:44 PM

Re: What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek?

Well the 2005 Semi I believe Federer had some sort of injury.

Johnny Groove 12-08-2011 02:51 PM

Krajicek was just a wizard after that first rain delay. Sampras didn't play badly at all, and it was his only loss at Wimbledon during an 8 year stretch. Straight sets, too.

The Safin match was epic and legendary. Not only was it a huge upset over a Federer that was deemed invincible at the time, but the drama and quality of the ball striking were of the utmost.

I choose the Safin upset. Also cause he had to beat Hewitt in the finals in front of a home crowd while Krajicek only had to beat Malivai Washington in the final. Krajicek did get to see a streaker that day though.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images...-wimbledon.jpg

SetSampras 12-08-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Las7 (Post 11553106)
Well the 2005 Semi I believe Federer had some sort of injury.

Pete's coach died in 96

SetSampras 12-08-2011 03:26 PM

What this GOAT slaying crap? ROFL... One damn match is a slaying? Slaying is what Nadal has done to Rog. Not what Safin did to Rog or Krajciek did to Pete in one slam match.

Anyone can catch fire for a day or have a good two weeks. Hell, even your watch is right twice a day

merryploughbhoy 12-08-2011 04:08 PM

Krajicek winning 3-0 at wimbledon against a prime sampras. Safin was lucky to come up against an off form federer. In my opinion safin was lucky to win the slams he did, a real vulture.

Certinfy 12-08-2011 04:22 PM

As good as Safin vs Federer was it's one of the most overrated matches I've ever seen people talk about on this forum, and that's coming from a guy who dislikes Federer.

Dougie 12-08-2011 04:51 PM

Sampras is without a doubt the most dominant grass court player ever, so beating him in his absoulte prime in straight sets at Wimbledon is pretty damn impressive.
The level of play in Fed-Safin might have been spectacular, but since that is not the question here, my vote goes to Krajicek.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel 12-08-2011 05:13 PM

sampras never had a chance against krajicek

federer blew match point

nuff said

Fumus 12-08-2011 05:19 PM

Safin beat the GOAT at his GOATiest....probably the best match I've ever seen. Marat is a rock star.

samanosuke 12-08-2011 05:20 PM

Krajicek victory over Sampras was probably greater but Safin's title was more deserved . Safin in the final played against Hewitt and Krajicek after win over Sampras got extremely lucky with draw . Even bigger luck than Washington in finals was Stoltenberg in semis who beat Ivansevic round before . Goran was really bad match up for Richard

GSMnadal 12-08-2011 05:27 PM

My man Richard destroying grassGOAT in straights :worship:

doesn't make Safins slaying of RF any less impressive though

Hensafmurrafter 12-08-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SetSampras (Post 11553161)
What this GOAT slaying crap? ROFL... One damn match is a slaying? Slaying is what Nadal has done to Rog. Not what Safin did to Rog or Krajciek did to Pete in one slam match.

Anyone can catch fire for a day or have a good two weeks. Hell, even your watch is right twice a day

My watch is correct all day long. Sounds like you need a new watch, sir.

EddieNero 12-08-2011 07:30 PM

Safin-Federer was the best grand slam match in the Open Era.

tripwires 12-09-2011 05:02 AM

Defeating Sampras in straight sets on grass > beating Fed in 5 sets on a slowish hard court.