MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Technique vs. Technology (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=193616)

ThePhishman 12-05-2011 05:27 PM

Technique vs. Technology

I feel that it's always a tough question to answer: whether players are getting better or if it's just the technology. Naturally, racquets of today allow players to hit the ball harder than ever before and offer much more capability for achieving appropriate spin on the ball, but are players becoming better athletes now as well? All else being equal, could peak Jimmy Connors beat peak Rafa? I think not. Players have the benefit of new racquet technology, but they're also in better shape and practice better technique. Thoughts?

Henry Chinaski 12-05-2011 07:17 PM

Re: Technique vs. Technology

What do you mean by better technique?

I don't have much knowledge of the coaching side of things but I'd imagine the technical basics of swings, grips and footwork have barely changed at all. I'm open to correction here.

Players in general are more athletic nowadays no doubt. It's the same across all sports as training and nutrition become more science based.

Again though I'd say the differences are very small in tennis compared with other sports because there are so many facets of the game, such as anticipation, that are above coaching.

Sham Kay 12-05-2011 07:47 PM

VS

It's a no brainer.

r2473 12-05-2011 07:50 PM

Peak vs. Peak arguments?

Must be offseson.

samanosuke 12-05-2011 07:53 PM

16 > 10

SetSampras 12-05-2011 08:24 PM

Technique, Strategic play, precision with lesser racket technology is FAR more impressive then today's nonsense where guys just run around the baseline, banging the crap out of the ball with no rhyme or reason.

Gamesampras 12-05-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SetSampras (Post 11549149)
Technique, Strategic play, precision with lesser racket technology is FAR more impressive then today's nonsense where guys just run around the baseline, banging the crap out of the ball with no rhyme or reason.

It is a shame to see tennis being played today with hardly any strategy or tactics. Everyone just goes out and hits from the baseline. I don't want to hear any bullshit about the court speed and racquet technology playing a factor in why players just stay on the baseline and swing away like they are on crack ice cocaine!

SetSampras 12-05-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesampras (Post 11549310)
It is a shame to see tennis being played today with hardly any strategy or tactics. Everyone just goes out and hits from the baseline. I don't want to hear any bullshit about the court speed and racquet technology playing a factor in why players just stay on the baseline and swing away like they are on crack ice cocaine!

The trust cannot be attached.. James has no ASSETS.. He is legally severed from his family.

Gamesampras 12-05-2011 10:10 PM

http://youtu.be/IT5rVppyVxw

Dougie 12-05-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesampras (Post 11549310)

It it possible to play tactical tennis from the baseline as well, you know...

Gamesampras 12-05-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie (Post 11549340)
It it possible to play tactical tennis from the baseline as well, you know...

Hope we see some of it in Australia

mark73 12-05-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesampras (Post 11549330)

Are you two twins or the same person?

abraxas21 12-05-2011 10:32 PM

setsampras making a double account and talking to himself... how this guy didnt win the ACC is beyond my comprehension

Gamesampras 12-05-2011 10:32 PM

Twins.

helvet empire 12-05-2011 10:34 PM

technique:

technology: