MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tipping (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=532)
-   -   TT changes 2012 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=193595)

keqtqiadv 12-04-2011 08:53 PM

TT changes 2012

Off-season = time to voice your opinions and ideas on possible changes/improvements to the game. :p If you have any suggestions to make this game better, please post them here.

Here are some possible starting topics:

- LL rule on R1 matches where neither player send picks: should the 2nd round spot go directly to the LL? Current rule: the player who sends late picks first wins the match.

- Two-day round (mostly for increased qualifying draws): Should a LL replace a player/team who has a bye to the second round but doesn't send picks for any of the rounds?

- Top 30 players: should they be eligible to get SEs into CHs?

- Should there be any incentives for managers (the number of managers is decreasing each year)? If yes, any suggestions?

- Early deadlines: should the current rule be changed?

- Code of conduct: any updates/changes? What should be done to the 'Foul language' item?

- Entries: double commitments & LEs - suggestions to improve the current system? Problems: a) players are added to two lists in the same week, taking MD/Q spots from other players; b) a player who withdraws from a tourmanet and commits to another tournament must be a LE, but might get a regular entry (the tournament change isn't always noticed).

- Alternate placements - matches in which neither player sent & the first alternate is better ranked than other players whose opponents didn't send picks: where should the next alternate be placed - against the first alternate or the lowest ranked player who entered directly?

- Winston-Salem (64-player tournament which precedes the USO): should it start on Sunday (current rule) or Monday (which would be a two-day round)?

Challengers WTF topics (if the event is actually going to be played next year :p):

- WTF Challengers - any changes to the points breakdown?

- WTF Challengers & WTF - should players be allowed to play both competitions?

- WTF Challengers - which should be the deadline for qualifications?

Other possible topics:

- 'Future' tournaments instead of increased QDs?

- One category for all challenger (120 pt breakdown)?

- Anything you wish to discuss

AdeyC 12-04-2011 10:04 PM

Re: TT changes 2012

- LL rule on R1 matches where neither player send picks: should the 2nd round spot go directly to the LL? Current rule: the player who sends late picks first wins the match.
A late pick is still a late pick and they shouldn’t benefit over someone who did send on time in cases where there are possible LL’s who did send on time.

- Two-day round (mostly for increased qualifying draws): Should a LL replace a player/team who has a bye to the second round but doesn't send picks for any of the rounds?
Yes.

Definitely not, although they should be allowed to enter but placed at the bottom of the entry lists after NR players.

- Should there be any incentives for managers (the number of managers is decreasing each year)? If yes, any suggestions?
Everyone who manages an event should get a wild card entry into every ATP event and Grand Slam – JOKE.

No, but I believe that there should be a rule that Entry Lists should be done earlier than they are in some events.

- Code of conduct: any updates/changes? What should be done to the 'Foul language' item?
Although I have only managed one event so far, and have put myself forward to do four in January/February, so I have only recently read up fully on rules, etc – but the one issue which I noticed which I would have a personal problem with is were I to make a mistake and that person called me a silly sausage (or words to that effect) over it and it then ended up with that person being suspended because of a fault of mine causing the problem in the first place – I’d feel terrible over it, plus I don’t have an issue with foul language myself although I appreciate others might.

- Entries: double commitments & LEs - suggestions to improve the current system? Problems: a) players are added to two lists in the same week, taking MD/Q spots from other players; b) a player who withdraws from a tourmanet and commits to another tournament must be a LE, but might get a regular entry (the tournament change isn't always noticed).
I didn’t know about this rule till three weeks ago but I’d have thought it’s up to managers to scan the entry lists of other events to check up on this and either announce in the thread that a player is now a LE because they committed somewhere else first and withdrew, as I did, or to inform the manager of the other tournament-

Winston-Salem (64-player tournament which precedes the USO): should it start on Sunday (current rule) or Monday (which would be a two-day round)?
As it stands - Sunday

Other possible topics:

That’s a preferable option – 32 players can have entry into a main draw event rather than quallies.

Yes, I think they should all be the same points breakdown.

Goldenoldie 12-04-2011 10:21 PM

Off-season = time to voice your opinions and ideas on possible changes/improvements to the game. If you have any suggestions to make this game better, please post them here.
My responses in red

I would favour the 2nd round spot going to the LL. This would enable the manager to place the LLs at once, rather than waiting to see if anyone sent late picks

Yes, I would always favour a match rather than a walkover

No

No, managers should do it for love of the game. Incentives could attract a more selfish type of manager who was in it for the perks.

I think I was mainly responsible for starting the early deadlines, through personal circumstances. Now that I am no longer managing, there are 3 alternatives.
1. A strict rule that the deadline is always the start of the first match.
2. A rule that (without being silly) a manager may set whatever deadline he deems convenient.
3. An attempt to satisfy both supporters and opponents of early deadlines (good luck :eek:)

This was my "baby" and seems to have worked reasonably well in its first season, but I am sure that improvements can be made. I will leave that to others.

I believe that 90% of double commitments are genuine mistakes, and most are spotted either by one of the managers or by an alert player. Any improvement would be very time-consuming to implement, unless anyone would be willing to take on the task of having a master spreadsheet covering all tournaments

- Alternate placements - matches in which neither player sent & the first alternate is better ranked than other players whose opponents didn't send picks: where should the next alternate be placed - against the first alternate or the lowest ranked player who entered directly?
Once the first alternate is placed his ranking "counts", so if it is higher than one of the direct entries the next alt plays the direct entry

- Winston-Salem (64-player tournament which precedes the USO): should it start on Sunday (current rule) or Monday (which would be a two-day round)?
A lot of players were screwed by the Sunday start (including me :o) Nevertheless I consider it entirely my own fault - the thread instructions were perfectly clear. No change!

Challengers WTF topics (if the event is actually going to be played next year ):

No, they seem ok

Yes, if they are in different weeks.

The deadline for qualification was ok, but the deadline for ENTRY should be earlier. It should be possible for an alternate to make a provisional entry to the Challengers WTF, and, if not accepted, still enter one of the challengers for that week.

Other possible topics:

I managed the Sheffield Futures after Bujilover's withdrawal, and I think it went well. I would be in favour of more Futures, but players would have to realise that they could not expect live scores or quick updates. The increased number of players may make it necessary anyway.

No, the present 90/120 is fine

abollo 12-04-2011 11:15 PM

LL should get the spot and if there is no LL the best loser from this round advances. Priority should be for people sending on time.

No. This will make it difficult for managers as they will receive a lot of picks from losers in the first round.

No

No. How will it be done? I think it won't be very fair.

Yes. Managers should have the right to set the deadline freely, but players should have a reasonable time to send picks about 10 hours at least.

Great point. Why don't we use the Code of Conduct more. Like for not sending picks, etc. Like if a player doesn't send picks esp. In the maindraw he should be penalised in any way as he took a place in the MD from a Q player just like the WO in real tennis. I don't know what the penalty should be, but maybe for every penalty some points and when these points reach a certain number this player is suspended for 2 weeks for example. What is meant by foul language

Players should mention that themselves but maybe a thread where people commit for their tournaments like in PAW would be helpful.

I think randomly is the best

Sunday

Challengers WTF topics (if the event is actually going to be played next year ?):

No

Other possible topics:

What are increased QDs . We currently have 32s only

I wanted to ask about this. Why don't we have exactly the same) like the ATP like 2000 for the winner of a GS, 1000 for a AMS winner, etc. The only reason I would see is that when the rb changed in the ATP it wasn't changed in TT. So why not change it and let it like the ATP. Some of the points we have don't make sense at all and I can give many examples, but a simple one is that a 200 ranked player who would get into the MD of CH and qualy or AlT to a 250 needs to win 2 matches in the ATP tournament to get 10 points, while with his 2 wins in the CH he would get 21 points.

My point:

- TB rules (Shootout/PTS, etc)
I would prefer to cancel the shootour rule and use the TB system like in TF. I think a winner of the match should be decided by who was better. Now we have that if A posted the OOP I would have won if B posted it I would have lost. The 2/1 2/0 rule in TF makes more sense. If still tied then the PTS should be considered. However I think if a match ends 63 64 and I have it 63 64 and another 64 63 I should win. I think it actually makes a difference if you hit the exact score in the exact set or not. The GD rule is fine as it is.

-LEs for SEs

I think LEs shouldn't be allowed a SE. For example if I played in lowCH and reached the final and commited for lowCH the following week, I would withdraw and get a SE in the highCH that week and probably take someone's place.

I think this is everything I have for now. Sorry if there are any mistakes, but I am sending from my mobile. Will check later if I forgot anything I wanted to mention

coolfish1103 12-05-2011 12:08 AM

Response in RED or question deleted.

Suggestions in BLUE.

Goes to LL but not ALT. LL should be placed first for those matches where no one sends and ALTs should be placed for matches where 1 participant did not send or go against another ALT or LL. If there are no LLs then late picks > no picks and ALTs should not take the BYE spot to the next round.

Yes, better to have a match than not to have any should the LL send.

No, current rule is fine.

How about a free SE WC to a tournament for every tournament managed? CH SE WC for CH tournaments and Tour SE WC for Tour tournaments. SE > SE WC and if all SEs are taken then the manager may use the SE WC for another tournament. If the tournament has no SE spots awarded, then no SE WC can be used. SE WC is valid for 90 days after the tournament managed has commenced.

Player should be allowed to have at least 12 hours to send picks if the early deadline is set by the manager for personal reasons.

- Entries: double commitments & LEs - suggestions to improve the current system? Problems: a) players are added to two lists in the same week, taking MD/Q spots from other players; b) a player who withdraws from a tournament and commits to another tournament must be a LE, but might get a regular entry (the tournament change isn't always noticed).

Entry list and deadline for each tournament in each week is done by a specific manager while the actual tournament is held by the tournament manager. This should avoid the double commitments and LE problem. You can have a thread like the PAW commitments where you have a TT entry list on a weekly basis and you make entry commitments there. All the tournament manager has to do is copy the entry list from that week and then run the tournament as is.

ALTs go against ALTs until there are no more ALTs by ranking within the ALTs. Afterwards go against the lowest ranked player.

Current rule is fine.

Other possible topics:

Increased QD unless enough managers can be found to run the FU tournaments. I think there are already shortage of managers so I wonder if it's feasible to run FU tournaments?

Current 90/120 is fine.

Can we set a deadline for GS 2nd week CH where players must withdraw (or automatically withdrawn) from the CH if they are still in the GS singles or doubles tournament before the QD is made? The current rule created a scenario where participants who got into the QD have the chance to play multiple times due to some players in the MD not sending picks to the CH cause they are still playing GS singles or doubles and the lower ranked ALTs get no chance to play at all in those CHs because LLs > ALTs. This is especially a problem because even Top 30 players can play in those CHs and they just take the spots while still playing in GS singles or doubles.

AdeyC 12-05-2011 06:35 AM

As I posted my original response last night - this morning I realised that I had forgotten to add on the one thing that I was going to mention at the end, but I see that abollo has put it in words perfectly :-

Quote:

Originally Posted by abollo (Post 11548042)

Great point. Why don't we use the Code of Conduct more. Like for not sending picks, etc. Like if a player doesn't send picks esp. In the maindraw he should be penalised in any way as he took a place in the MD from a Q player just like the WO in real tennis. I don't know what the penalty should be, but maybe for every penalty some points and when these points reach a certain number this player is suspended for 2 weeks for example. What is meant by foul language

I couldn't have suggested it better :)

And although I made a jokey comment - I 100% agree with Goldenoldie that a manager should not be rewarded for managing, it's done because of the love of the game and putting something back in.

That would open up a can of worms re: wild cards, which I don't think should ever be used.

Snowwy 12-05-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keqtqiadv (Post 11547845)
Off-season = time to voice your opinions and ideas on possible changes/improvements to the game. :p If you have any suggestions to make this game better, please post them here.

Challengers WTF topics (if the event is actually going to be played next year :p):

Other possible topics:

I think top 50 players should not be allowed to play challengers at the end of the year after the ATP schedule is complete in the last two or three weeks of the season, like Helsinki, Brantislava, those tournaments.

erickmartins 12-05-2011 04:14 PM

What I'd really like to see on TT is people actually planning their seasons (e.g. someone playing São Paulo in one week wouldn't play Auckland the week after and constant playing would accumulate some kind of "fatigue", diminishing the possibility of good results), but I know this is close to impossible to implement and possibly very unpopular. :)

(that's maybe beside the point of this topic, but anyway)

scoobs 12-05-2011 04:18 PM

Off-season = time to voice your opinions and ideas on possible changes/improvements to the game. If you have any suggestions to make this game better, please post them here.

LL. I hate Late picks vs no picks - how long do you wait for late picks? I think it should go to a LL who at least managed to send within deadline.

Yes, if they have a bye into R2 and then don't send for R2 either they should be replaced by a LL from R1 IMO.

No.

Ideally yes, but I really don't know what those would be. I am concerned about the # of managers for 2012 - I don't intend to run 16 tournaments next year and without Goldenoldie either I think it may become a problem and we may have to reduce the number of events due to lack of managers.

No but I think they need to be explained more clearly. I think it needs to be very clear that the manager will use the start of play as the deadline WHEN THEY CAN but in some circumstances they may need to set it to be earlier than that so they can successfully manage the tournament and they are allowed to do so if they give clear instructions to that effect - anyone who misses the earlier deadline, it is their own fault.

Not really, it's not something that's been invoked that often in my personal experience.

Ideally this would be improved but it's difficult to see how without it being a bureaucratic headache for the managers. Perhaps the penalty for double-committing without withdrawing first is that the player just can't play at all that week? The onus needs to be on the player to do this properly.

If there's more than one alternate to place, place them randomly?

I'd stay start Monday just because of the sheer headache having one tournament that starts on Sunday causes.

Other possible topics:

Yes if we can find enough managers, or increased QDs, crap as that is, is the only option.

Happy with 2 categories but I would like the points for each tournament added to the TT Calendar page where managers are allocated so it's easy to see what points each tournament carries for the winner.

kr1s71an 12-05-2011 05:12 PM

My suggestion is the ranking points to be exactly the same as those from the actual tournaments. :) For example - this year in doubles I reached QF in US Open, won ATP Atlanta, played a final in ATP Los Angeles and won some other points from Challengers, and even with that I'm not even in top 100. I think those results deserve better ranking and I think that would of happened if the ranking points was the same as the actual tournaments.

I hope some other players will support my idea as well!

scoobs 12-05-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr1s71an (Post 11548986)
My suggestion is the ranking points to be exactly the same as those from the actual tournaments. :)

Ideally it would be but I think the transition would be a nightmare for the Gav who does the weekly rankings....

dinkulpus 12-05-2011 05:24 PM

First I think we should stop this rule for late picks > no pick, if in a match both players didn't send till deadline, lucky loser should replace them

No. This will make it difficult for managers as they will receive a lot of picks from losers in the first round.

No

From this year I think yes, because it will be pretty hard to find managers, because I think last year we had 4 great managers : scoobs, Alex, Jim and me (i don't like to boast myself), but scoobs and Jim already said that they will not have many time for managing like this year, I also will not have time to manage after March, because I will be more busy around university :sad:, so apparently we should think for something.

Yes, I'm for early deadlines, but just in case players to have at least 10 hours for sending picks

Yes, players should be suspended from Tennis Tipping, when they don't respect managers

I think we should place them randomly

Sunday

Challengers WTF topics (if the event is actually going to be played next year ):

No

No

2 weeks before tournament

Other possible topics:

Future should be used only when we don't have challengers, like week 2 and 3 in January

No

Why there are no points for winning a match in qualification :scratch:

erickmartins 12-05-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobs (Post 11548989)
Ideally it would be but I think the transition would be a nightmare for the Gav who does the weekly rankings....

Maybe it's not such a big issue, depending on the way he does it. It can be as easy as adding one extra column in a spreadsheet.

If we're making this transition, the ideal would be to have a whole transitional year, with rankings being calculated with old and new points. During the year the valid rankings would be the ones with old points, but at the end of the year we would have the equivalent of that on new points and we'd be ready to go on from there on 2013.

Perhaps some people could volunteer to keep a "parallel" ranking with new points? I wouldn't assume full responsibility because of time constraints, but I certainly could help.

dinkulpus 12-05-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickmartins (Post 11549219)
Maybe it's not such a big issue, depending on the way he does it. It can be as easy as adding one extra column in a spreadsheet.

If we're making this transition, the ideal would be to have a whole transitional year, with rankings being calculated with old and new points. During the year the valid rankings would be the ones with old points, but at the end of the year we would have the equivalent of that on new points and we'd be ready to go on from there on 2013.

Perhaps some people could volunteer to keep a "parallel" ranking with new points? I wouldn't assume full responsibility because of time constraints, but I certainly could help.

Тhat's was very interesting proposal, I was thinking why was points like this, can someone explain to me :p

Vilnietė 12-05-2011 08:30 PM

ATP changed their points per tournament some years ago but TT stayed with the old system.