MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Grigor Dimitrov Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1358)
-   -   News & Articles about Grigor (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=185332)

BlueLighthouse 06-24-2011 06:03 AM

News & Articles about Grigor

Hi :wavey: everyone,

Since there's no thread about news and articles yet and there seems to be more and more news about Grigor coming after match with JwT, I'd like to start it ...

Let's also put old news here as well, thanks :worship:

My favorite writer Steve Tignor - "Learning" after the match with Tsonga (23 Jun 2011, Wimbledon R2).

(also featuring Harrison ;))

Quote:

LONDON—Grigor Dimitrov, 20, skinny, hat on backwards, sits down at the changeover. He’s just held serve to make it 4-5 in the second set against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. The young Bulgarian, who won the first match of his Wimbledon career in the previous round, is playing the finest tennis of his life on the All England Club’s second-biggest show court, Court 1. He’s won the first set from the 12th seed. Now he looks to his coach, Australia’s Peter McNamara, and points down to the court fiercely—“Let’s do it right night now!” is the message. McNamara nods back and chuckles in surprise at his normally laconic student’s sudden burst of moxy. Grigor Dimitrov is having a moment. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long. He gets up and loses the next game.
The rest is in the link above.

BlueLighthouse 06-24-2011 06:08 AM

Re: News & Articles about Grigor

Another good piece from Tom Perrotta - The Early Days of One Would-Be Federer

(hate the title but nice write-up) Here's an excerpt

Quote:

And then there was the shot, the shot of Wimbledon so far—a shot probably only a hundred people saw. At around 9:20 p.m. local time Tuesday, in fading light and temperatures fit for sweaters and scarves rather than tennis shorts, Dimitrov was in the middle of the third set of his first-round match on Court 10. His opponent, Cedrik-Marcel Stebe, hit a deep shot, high but lower and harder than a lob, over Dimitrov’s shoulder (he was at the net). Dimitrov turned around and raced to his right, toward the far corner. It was a Federer moment: Time slowed down as he moved. The ball seemed to wait for him. He slid four feet and, with his back to the net, curled his racket behind the ball and slapped it backwards, behind him and around his body, down the line. It sailed—slowly, perfectly, obviously destined to land in—over Stebe’s head and into the corner for a winner.

“Where’s YouTube when you need it, right?” he said after he finished his match, which was called for darkness, on Wednesday.
and to our frustration, Grigor agrees...

Quote:

Dimitrov said he doesn’t have specific goals to improve his ranking or to win X number of titles. At this point in his career, he wants to play as many matches as he can.

“You’ve got to be consistent playing week in and week out, which I’m still not capable of doing, honestly,” he said. “But I think you have to give it a shot even though the statistics are odds that you don’t want to see sometimes. Especially in tennis. You can be talented as hell. Talent is not winning matches.”

BlueLighthouse 06-24-2011 06:21 AM

Also from Steve Tignor at AO 2011 - 17 Jan 2011

A Grigor Dimitrov Moment

Quote:

The two girls smiled at each other. Then they looked backed at Court 10, at the player in the yellow shirt with the silky one-handed backhand and the very familiar service motion and the easy way with a forehand winner. Then the girls looked at each other again. They smiled again. They were having a Grigor Dimitrov moment.
Steve sounds more and more like a fan ;)

BlueLighthouse 06-24-2011 09:54 AM

Recap of Wimbledon R2 vs Tsonga from the Guardian

Jo said
Quote:

"He was a bit on fire sometimes," Tsonga said. "I thought if I stayed consistent he would miss but he didn't miss and it was a very difficult match. I am very happy to get through."

BlueLighthouse 06-26-2011 06:02 AM

This one from the Telegraph 22 Jun 2011. Nothing new for us here but good for those who's jumping on the bandwagon recently.

"Wimbledon 2011: Questions for... Grigor Dimitrov"

Quote:

Q What’s been your best moment in tennis?
A Breaking into the top 100. A lot of players try to break into top 100, no one gives up. Tennis is very tough.

Q Do you have any nicknames?
A G-Force and PT. It means Prime Time.

Q How will you prepare to face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga?
A I just go out there, no expectations, just try to focus on my game. He’s a top player, a fighter, great competitor. I’m also a fighter. Let’s see how it is going to be.

Q Who were your idols growing up?
A Federer and Sampras.

Q You’ve often been compared to Roger Federer ...
A I’m touched with that but it’s a bit overrated. Maybe there are some similarities, but to compare some random guy ranked 62 with the greatest of all time, it’s funny.

Q What do you like most about being a tennis player?
A It gives you a chance to embrace different cultures. It’s a great chance to broaden your perspective.

Q Favourite music?
A The rapper Lil Wayne. I like the background of his life and way to the top.

Q What else do you enjoy?
A I like clothes a lot. I like retro and rebel style. My favourite designer was Alexander McQueen. His lines were different every time.

Q What would you most like to achieve?
A Win a grand slam. I did it as a junior [at the US Open and Wimbledon], why not do it as a senior?

Shade 06-27-2011 05:24 AM

Does anybody have a link to that shot they were talking about against Stebe?

BlueLighthouse 06-27-2011 05:56 AM

From TennisChannel James Larosa's 2011 Wimbledon Blog

Quote:

GRIGOR DIMITROV: If anyone seems like they’re going on 41, it’s Grigor. He’s been the Next Federer for longer than the original’s been alive. But he’s only just turned 20, and he’s only just started making an impact. He made a deep one against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, pinching the tennis world’s booty and saying, psst, I’m coming, don’t worry.

nadejda 06-27-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 11162956)
Does anybody have a link to that shot they were talking about against Stebe?

it was not on a TV court :rolleyes:

BlueLighthouse 07-11-2011 11:53 AM

More news post Wimbledon "One to watch: the rise and rise of Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov"

Nothing new really but it is written with plain fact, no sensational hype...

My fav part:-

Quote:

Dimitrov is now benefitting from the wise hand of the hugely experienced Peter McNamara, and to see the relationship in action, on an outside Wimbledon court during a first-round doubles match, is to watch the learning process take place as if by osmosis. Smiles and encouragement on one side, eye-contact and attentiveness on the other.
I was impressed with Peter's calmness courtside since I first saw them.

BlueLighthouse 07-15-2011 08:52 PM

Another recap of young players including Grigor by PATRICK MOURATOGLOU

Quote:

Grigor Dimitrov

Dimitrov is training in my academy and seems the most complete player of this generation of rising stars. His technical ability is above the level of his peers, and his huge battle against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Wimbledon put him firmly in the spotlight.

He won two Grand Slams at Junior level, and is nicknamed by some as 'Little Federer' because of a similar way about the two on court.

He's been watched a lot in the last couple of years - perhaps too much if you consider his world ranking.

For the moment he can still be overwhelmed by the wealth of tactical options he has and a wish to do too much.

His current ranking of 60 suggests he's going the right way, though.

Mephistopheles 08-09-2011 08:02 PM

Hey guys, just a quick part of an interview with Milos Raonic on the ATP site;

Q: You’ve been put into this group of up and coming players with Ryan Harrison, Grigor Dimitrov, Richard Berankis and Bernard Tomic. Which player in your opinion will have the best career? With all things being equal, and you’re all in the top 10 and battling for Grand Slams, which player will give you the most trouble?

A: Wow, well I hope myself. In terms of potential I would have to say Grigor. But I think mentally out of the group I would have to say Ryan is the best competitor. It’s going to come down to who can work through their weaknesses and improve. But I think if you get into two guys, Ryan has the best competitor in him and Grigor has the most potential.

Mephi x

Hypnotize 08-13-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles (Post 11257201)
Hey guys, just a quick part of an interview with Milos Raonic on the ATP site;

Q: Youíve been put into this group of up and coming players with Ryan Harrison, Grigor Dimitrov, Richard Berankis and Bernard Tomic. Which player in your opinion will have the best career? With all things being equal, and youíre all in the top 10 and battling for Grand Slams, which player will give you the most trouble?

A: Wow, well I hope myself. In terms of potential I would have to say Grigor. But I think mentally out of the group I would have to say Ryan is the best competitor. Itís going to come down to who can work through their weaknesses and improve. But I think if you get into two guys, Ryan has the best competitor in him and Grigor has the most potential.

Mephi x

I definitely agree with Milos' opinion. Does anyone know if Grigor and Milos ever played against each other in juniors?

misty1 08-13-2011 12:31 PM

apparently grigor and milos played only once before back in 2009 in januray on a claycourt in a futures event

grigor dispatched milos easily 6-4, 6-2

nadejda 08-24-2011 10:44 AM

http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/16913

Quote:

The match of the day ending up being a topsy-turvy one between Grigor Dimitrov against Donald Young that saw Young, after dropping the first set, earn a warning after he smashed a water bottle in front of the umpireís chair then proceeded to berate the umpire about being given the warning. Young used the incident to fuel his game, taking the second set 6-2. Dimitrov, who struggled to keep the ball in the court most of the match, found his game just in time during the third set to overcome and early break of serve and then earn a break of his own to serve for the match at 5-4. But Dimitrov faltered and dropped served but then managed to serve himself into a tiebreak that he dominated to finally win 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (2). Dimitrov now faces Alexandr Dolgopolov in the third round.

Hypnotize 09-26-2011 03:47 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a good article on Grigor that makes some interesting points.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...-federer-dream