MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Roland Garros (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1317)
-   -   Wild Cards (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=180853)

smucav 04-18-2011 02:18 AM

Wild Cards

Main Draw:
1 Clement, Arnaud FRA
2 Millot, Vincent FRA
3 Paire, Benoit FRA
4 Roger-Vasselin, Edouard FRA
5 Rufin, Guillaume FRA
6 Teixeira, Maxime FRA
7 Tomic, Bernard AUS (TA)
8 Smyczek, Timothy USA (USTA)

Qualifying:
1 Brézac, Charles-Antoine FRA
2 Devilder, Nicolas FRA
3 Eysseric, Jonathan FRA
4 Herbert, Pierre-Hugues FRA
5 Jouan, Romain FRA
6 Michon, Axel FRA
7 Mina, Gianni FRA
8 Olivetti, Albano FRA
9 Velotti, Agustin ARG (2010 Boys' Champion)

Filo V. 04-18-2011 03:37 AM

Re: Wild Cards

Some of these are common sense decisions. Tomic, Harrison, Paire, Clement, and most likely Teixiera (for the season he's had) will get WCs. Mina I'm assuming will get one. The so-far failure Eysseric has had a bit better year this season in futures, but I don't see him getting one. Rufin has been on and off with injuries but he's been pretty decent when healthy, so I think he'll get one. None of the challenger veteran French players outside of Prodon really deserve a WC.

DanaKz 04-18-2011 04:23 AM

I am not sure about Harrison - it depends on Wild Card tourney's attenders. (Young, Harrison, Sock, Collarini, Kudla are usual suspects)

Hope Mina will get one though his season was not good. Hope they'll give a chance to some juniors - Bourgue, Pouille or Lokoli.

Chase Visa 04-18-2011 06:47 AM

Dunno about the Frenchies (though I guess Clement, Serra (if he didn't automatically qualify) and Paire will get one), but Australia will most likely be Tomic, and America most likely Harrison.

aleunforcederror 04-18-2011 12:27 PM

about the frenchies, teixeira deserve a WC

willoughby 04-18-2011 02:21 PM

Muster deserves at least a qualifying WC. He's a former champion after all! :D

Filo V. 04-19-2011 11:49 PM

Serra is in the MD. I don't see France selecting a junior. Mina I think will get one because he was junior #1 last year and how he played v Nadal. This season he hasn't progressed as expected, but they may overlook that and go with potential.

The two I'm sure will get WCs are Paire and Clement.

I forgot, the US has the playoff to get into majors now. Should be an interesting field, likely will include Harrison, Blake, Young, Kudla and a few others, maybe Smyczek, maybe Collarini. Australia, do they also have a playoff?

I can see Muster getting a WC into qualifying, but even that I wouldn't be sold on. A MD WC should be out of the question.

bearitone315 04-20-2011 04:37 PM

http://bit.ly/f7WxaN - USTA wildcard tournament started today

Filo V. 04-20-2011 05:20 PM

Wow, the draw is weaker than I expected. Don definitely should win for several reasons, although Collarini would be tough if they play.

smucav 04-20-2011 11:08 PM

http://www.usta.com/usta_hosts_frenc...card_playoffs/
Quote:

USTA
USTA hosts French Open Wild Card Playoffs
April 20, 2011 01:31 PM

The USTA announced that six men and six women have been invited to participate in its 2011 French Open Wild Card Playoffs, held April 20-22 at the Boca West Country Club in Boca Raton, Fla. The USTA and the French Tennis Federation have a reciprocal agreement in which men’s and women’s singles main draw wild cards into the 2011 French Open and the 2011 US Open are exchanged. Ryan Sweeting, who won his first ATP World Tour title at the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships earlier this month, and Christina McHale, who recently broke into the WTA Top 100, won the 2010 playoffs to earn wild cards into the 2010 French Open.

The six men who will compete include: Andrea Collarini (Boca Raton, Fla.), who reached the boys’ singles final at the 2010 French Open; Jordan Cox (Duluth, Ga.), the 2009 Wimbledon boys’ singles runner-up; Denis Kudla (Arlington, Va.), the 2010 US Open boys’ singles runner-up; Tim Smyczek (Milwaukee, Wisc.), who made his Grand Slam tournament debut at the 2010 US Open after winning a similar playoff to earn a main draw wild card; Donald Young (Atlanta), who recently upset world No. 5 Andy Murray en route to the third round at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, Calif.; and Alexios Halebian (Glendale, Calif.), who upset the world’s top-ranked junior player en route to the semifinals of the 2010 Dunlop Orange Bowl.

The six women invited to compete include: Julia Boserup (Boca Raton, Fla.), the 2008 Dunlop Orange Bowl champion who had her best professional showing on clay last year at the USTA Pro Circuit $50,000 event in Indian Harbour Beach, Fla.; Beatrice Capra (Ellicott City, Md.), who won a similar playoff to earn a wild card into the 2010 US Open and beat then World No. 20 Aravane Rezai en route to the third round; Lauren Davis (Gates Mills, Ohio), who made her Grand Slam tournament debut at the 2011 Australian Open after winning a similar playoff last December to earn a wild card; Irina Falconi (Atlanta), the former collegiate All-American who successfully qualified for both the 2010 US Open and the 2011 Australian Open; Madison Keys (Boca Raton, Fla.), who at Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., in 2009 became the youngest player to win a main draw WTA match since Martina Hingis; and Grace Min (Duluth, Ga.), who was the runner-up at the 2010 Dunlop Orange Bowl.

Seedings are based on this week’s ATP World Tour and WTA rankings. Matches will start at 10am ET each day.
Men's Draw:
(1) Young, Donald/bye
(5) Collarini, Andrea vs. (4) Cox, Jordan
(3) Kudla, Denis vs. (6) Halebian, Alexios
bye/(2) Smyczek, Timothy

Chase Visa 04-20-2011 11:44 PM

Why no Harrison or Blake? Young should theoretically cruise his way to a WC.

DanaKz 04-21-2011 04:51 AM

Where are Harrison and Sock????:eek:

ChicaG 04-21-2011 11:57 AM

Can we follow the matches somewhere? My fingers are crossed for Andrea =))

Shabba 04-21-2011 08:57 PM

Oh well.

coasterman9 04-21-2011 09:00 PM

Is the final tomorrow going to be best of 5 sets?