MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   How to get a US scholarship (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=179085)

big_j_tennis 03-19-2011 06:14 PM

How to get a US scholarship
 
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's too late to get a tennis scholarship in the US for next year (september 2011)?
Also, if I want to try to get one, what do I have to do?
Finally, do any D2, D3 or NAIA schools give scholarships? Because I don't think I'm good enough to get in D1...
What is the usual level for players in each category?

Thanks to anyone answering me!;)

out_here_grindin 03-19-2011 08:56 PM

Re: How to get a US scholarship
 
D2 and NAIA give scholarships. D3 does not offer athletic scholarships in any sport. They amount they are willing to give you greatly varies based on school. I would start sending videos to coaches today. Target a region that you would like to play in and contact coaches from D2 or NAIA schools. I do not think it would be to late, many teams are willing to except anyone who will help their team out.

As far as your level. Do you play tournaments? Give me some more info on your level

big_j_tennis 03-20-2011 03:45 AM

Re: How to get a US scholarship
 
Thanks!
I sent emails to some coaches of D2 schools, and am awaiting their responses.
Yes I do play tournaments, mostly junior provincial and open tournaments near Monréal, Canada, as well as playing for my school (9-1 W/L record 3-0 in singles; 6-1 in doubles)
For my level, I'd say I'm 4.5-5.0...

dunlopkickserve 03-20-2011 03:49 AM

Re: How to get a US scholarship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_j_tennis (Post 10860906)
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's too late to get a tennis scholarship in the US for next year (september 2011)?
Also, if I want to try to get one, what do I have to do?
Finally, do any D2, D3 or NAIA schools give scholarships? Because I don't think I'm good enough to get in D1...
What is the usual level for players in each category?

Thanks to anyone answering me!;)

I go to Sacred Heart University D1AA(Between D1 and D2) The avg player on the team is around a 5.0NTRP although we do have Krill Kysanov, who received a wild card into the pilot penn qualies. D2 Tennis is a joke. I'm around a 4.0 and I played a kid who was #5 singles @ Post University and beat him 6-0 6-0. If you are around a 4.0-4.5 and are looking at finding a scholarship I suggest Wager College(Its on staten island new york). It's D1 but their team is absolutely terrible. I would probably be # 1 or 2 on their team. Also take a look at fairfield university (In fairfield ct). Their campus is absolutely beautiful and their team is a lower level D1.

dunlopkickserve 03-20-2011 03:50 AM

Re: How to get a US scholarship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_j_tennis (Post 10863809)
Thanks!
I sent emails to some coaches of D2 schools, and am awaiting their responses.
Yes I do play tournaments, mostly junior provincial and open tournaments near Monréal, Canada, as well as playing for my school (9-1 W/L record 3-0 in singles; 6-1 in doubles)
For my level, I'd say I'm 4.5-5.0...

D2 colleges cant give full rides, i suggest looking at a few private d1 schools if you are sure you're around a 5.0

big_j_tennis 03-20-2011 10:56 PM

Re: How to get a US scholarship
 
Ok thanks. I'll use the advices!

DartMarcus 03-21-2011 12:31 AM

Re: How to get a US scholarship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve (Post 10863815)
I go to Sacred Heart University D1AA(Between D1 and D2) The avg player on the team is around a 5.0NTRP although we do have Krill Kysanov, who received a wild card into the pilot penn qualies. D2 Tennis is a joke. I'm around a 4.0 and I played a kid who was #5 singles @ Post University and beat him 6-0 6-0. If you are around a 4.0-4.5 and are looking at finding a scholarship I suggest Wager College(Its on staten island new york). It's D1 but their team is absolutely terrible. I would probably be # 1 or 2 on their team. Also take a look at fairfield university (In fairfield ct). Their campus is absolutely beautiful and their team is a lower level D1.

You are a bit wrong about the quality of D2 tennis. Post University is one of the worst D2 teams. There are lot of D2 and NAIA teams, that could be competitive at D1 level: Auburn Montgomery, Barry, Armstrong Atlantic, Fresno Pacific and many others. Their rosters are full of ATP ranked players.
Good suggestion about Fairfield and Wagner though! :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.