MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1360)
-   -   2011 Indoor Championships (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=177535)

out_here_grindin 02-18-2011 12:33 AM

2011 Indoor Championships

Starts tomorrow. Features 15 of the top 16 teams in the country(excluding Baylor). It is in Seattle and will go on all day Friday and Saturday.

Official site, with live scores and draws

Draw:

1 Virginia vs 29 Washington
8 Illinois vs 9 Texas A&M
5 Texas vs 12 Kentucky
4 Ohio State vs 13 Texas Tech

3 Tennessee vs 14 Georgia
6 UCLA vs 11 Louisville
7 Stanford vs 10 Florida
2 Southern Cal vs 15 Duke

PTWahoo14 02-18-2011 11:37 PM

Re: 2011 Indoor Championships

Tennessee tested for the first time this season by Georgia. The vols end up winning 4-2.
USC also struggling at the moment against Duke. It's tied 2-2. But they could break away at any moment.
This tournament really stands as an indicator for where team are at right now. It will help get a feel for who's gonna do what in the spring NCAA's. It should be interesting.

Off topic: The Georgia team really has a lot of talent. But does their loss to Georgia Tech mean they are streaky/inconsistent or was it just a fluke in hostile territory? Some say they just haven't geled as a team yet with all the new faces. These are the questions that will eventually be answered.

out_here_grindin 02-18-2011 11:52 PM

I feel like UGA walked into a buzzsaw in Atlanta. That GT team is talented and they wanted that one so much for their 5 seniors. It was a historic win for them. I am very interested to see what GT does the rest of the year.

UGA blew it today. They should have won the doubles point vs UT. Doumbia should have won his match as well. This loss will hurt. They will need to regroup fast for a tough Louisville team.

Tennessee meanwhile will have a serious challenge against UCLA. If Sandgren cannot go, UCLA has a better than 50/50 chance to win. UCLA will be heavily favored at the lower positions without Sandgren. 5 and 6 are almost locks for UCLA. It will be a battle for sure.

edit: Nguyen fails to close out his match vs Carleton. still 2-2.

out_here_grindin 02-19-2011 12:25 AM

Duke and Souther Cal are knotted at 3. Steve Johnson posted an impressive 6-2 3rd set win over Cunha at #1.

It comes down to Carleton vs Nguyen. (and the webcam is not working:mad:)

Ozone 02-21-2011 11:18 AM

And it will be Virginia vs Tennessee for the final, AGAIN! Pretty cool. Glad to see some upsets here. Not too surprised and what Duke did though, I think USC will get better and better as the year goes on and Duke is loaded with sneaky-good talent. I wish my Longhorns could have challenged Ohio State better.

out_here_grindin 02-24-2011 01:19 AM

sorry for the lack of updates but I have been in Charleston since Sunday with no internet.

Virginia routs Tennessee 4-0

This is a scary result for the rest of the country. there is a ton of season left and UVA is always better indoors but it is clear that this year it is UVA and everyone else is a 2nd class citizen. It would be a major failure if Virginia finds a way to go home from palo Alto without the title.

The pummeling of a very good Tennessee team began in doubles. Tennessee had won 22 straight doubles point dating back to last year when they lost to Mississippi State in doubles. Jenkins/Singh and Courtney/Rooda pulled out very close tiebreak victories to give Virginia a crucial 1-0 lead.

Then the slaughter commenced.

Shabaz ripped apart Williams at #1 6-2 6-2
Domijian cruised past JP Smith 6-2 6-4 (there is a good chance that Domijian could go undefeated in dual matches this year)
Jenkins railed fago 6-1 6-1 to finish the 4-0 beatdown
Singh was on his way to winning as well

UVA was dominant all tournament. Was never really in serious trouble. Washington gave them the stiffest test, but they still won 4-1.

Impressive

out_here_grindin 02-26-2011 05:42 PM

http://virginiasportstv.com/?load=te...&v=3307&f=.mov

highlights of Virginia's run to the title. Jarmere Jenkins match point vs Fago is sick

darklucia 02-28-2011 02:36 AM

I was lucky enough to see a lot of this live and UVA was definitely impressive. Jenkins might have been my favorite to watch in both doubles and singles though watching Domijian crush the ball was pretty entertaining too.