Mens Tennis Forums banner

Marton Fucsovics

41K views 158 replies 20 participants last post by  R 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought that since Marton is now starting his senior career officially I'd start a thread for him, as I know a lot of people enjoy following the careers of young guys.

Birthdate: February 8th, 1992
Birthplace: Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
Junior High Ranking: 1

Fucsovics first made a name for himself playing Junior Davis Cup for Hungary at the end of the 2008 season. In 2009 he started the season off well getting to the final of a G2 Clay Court tournament, in April, and would do one better in May of the same year. Fucscovics really became a junior household name when he won the Junior Gerry Weber tournament on Grass, and then made it to the European Championship finals, losing to Stephen Diez. He finished off the year by making the semi-finals of a G1 in Canada, before playing in his first Grandslam, the Junior US Open, where he lost in the Round of 16 to eventual finalist Chase Buchanan. After that Fucsovics would lose in the final of the Eddie Herr U-18s, before suffering an early round upset in the Orange Bowl.

2010 was a good year for Fucsovics, where he would make it to at least the semi-finals of almost every tournament he playedFucscovics made the run to the Australian Open semi-final, but wouldn't play another tournament until May. After that he made it to the semi-finals of Gerry Weber, and then would win the Junior Wimbledon title, becoming the first Hungarian to do so. Fucsovics would then suffer two shock first round losses in the European Championships and Youth Olympics, but, along with team Hungary would win the European Boys Summer Cup. For his last junior tournament Fucsovics lost in the semi-finals of the US Open, having made it to the semi-finals of every Grandslam he played that year.

Junior Singles Finals
Florence: G2, Clay. Lost to Gaio 6-7 6-2 3-6. April 13, 2009
Prato: G2, Clay. Def. Thomson 6-1 6-2. May 10, 2009
Gerry Weber: G2, Grass. Def. Georgoudos 7-6 6-4. June 20, 2009

European Championship: B1, Clay. Lost to Diez 4-6 6-4 5-7. July 27, 2009
Eddie Herr: G1, Hard. Lost to Kudla 7-6 4-6 4-6. December 7, 2009
Wimbledon: G1, Grass. Def. Mitchell 6-4 6-4 July 4, 2010

Junior Doubles Finals
Linz: G1, Clay. Lost w/ Mate Zsiga 4-6 4-6 July 19, 2009.
US Open: GA, Hard. Won w/ Mate Zsiga 7-6 5-7 10-1 September 07, 2009.

Notable Titles:
European Junior Boys: Hungary def Slovakia 2-0 August 5, 2009

See less See more
#112 ·
I don't know if people have given up on Fucsovics or not, but he's a very interesting character. He doesn't seem to be able to win futures, but in the meanwhile he plays very well for Davis Cup, beat Gulbis a while ago, and now he's 1 set away from qualifying for his first ATP 250 tournament.

#116 ·
marci qualified for atp 250 eastbourne :) thats huge for him, because he is defending 8 points from wimbledon qualies which he wont play this year so...

#125 ·
Yeah I watched the whole quarterfinal match of Marci in that Challenger, he played very solid. Once, he was up 5-3 in the 2nd, had a good opportunity to close it out at the net, it was a 110% smash volley winner, but he managed to hit it 'out' :D
Glad he won the tiebreak after this mis-hit very confident. I was hoping for another TB in the 3rd, but 5-7 how it ended unfortunetely. But you are right, it was a great week for him.
Sadly he lost in last weeks Future in R1 as 8th seed from a WC player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.