MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How much Soderling is flying the Swedish Flag (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=174856)

tjohansson 01-09-2011 08:51 AM

How much Soderling is flying the Swedish Flag

Hi all, I've posted before. Big childhood fan of Thomas Johansson if you haven't guessed already, I was born in Sweden but moved to Australia when I was young.

I am just puzzled where Swedish tennis has gone wrong in the space of five years, We had four men inside the Top 100 with another inside the Top 150. Now Soderling is at 5 and the next ranked player is our import/export Nick Lindahl at 240, Only one man inside the Top 100, Let alone 200.

How much Daniel Berta has faded extremely, I don't remember him being as high as 840 previously. and just no good youngsters coming through filling the Johansson/Enqvist/Norman void of the past 10 or so years. Apart from Johansson's brief Stint in the Top 10 and to be fair he did hang around the Top 20 for a few years after his 2002 Aus Open Win, But no one has really made an impact of Bjorn Borg, since Bjorn Borg. Bjorn Borg winner of 64 ATP Titles and Wilander 15 odd years ago, Next most capped in terms of single titles is who?. Wilander with 33 but then it's a bit of a drop to Johansson with 13 career titles?. We all know how well Bjorkman went in Doubles and gave singles a good crack mostly in the mid to late 90's. But knowing previous generations have stamped a benchmark, Questions need to be asked?.

There's only one other country that I can think of where It's cold most of the year that has had a better success rate in terms of personnel in the Top 100 and that is Russia. So I do agree that we've done considerably well riding the Bjorn Borg name in terms of potential with Tojo, Enqvist, Bjorkman & now Soderling.

But Soderling is the first real Swede since Borg that looks like he is going to stick around the top brace of players for the long term, Still only 26, He has 7 career titles to his name, still hasn't won a grand slam but our only recent result was Johansson and he was 26 going on 27 when he won the Australian Open but he didn't have the physical presence and the forehand that Soderling does, and let's face it he is the only player who's beaten Federer and Nadal on numerous occasions in recent times, especially the trump over Nadal on Clay which is considered one of the most memorable wins in Men's Tennis which will last eternity against the Clay Court King.

I mean Roddick had no answer today, Roddick is a known power player with his serve and one of the best defenders from the back of the court. Soderling completely ousted him today. Roddick is no easy beat and only Federer and Nadal can dispose of him that comfortably that I've seen recently.

It's just a shame that no one else is seriously contesting the big time with Soderling. It was good back in the Early to mid 00s when we still had three or four players in the 100 and a couple a fraction outside of it. Is it just that other countries have advanced and we haven't much?.

With our Davis Cup, We have to recall Vinciguerra and Joachim Johansson alot of the time because we have no one else that could threaten opposing teams.

I was never that convinced with Soderling in the beginning even after the Nadal win at the French, It could of been a one-hit wonder but has time has gone on and Soderling has kept consistent ever since. I am more and more becoming a fan of him and is really living in the Johannson frame for me, Because of growing up Idolising Thomas.

misty1 01-10-2011 08:18 PM

Re: How much Soderling is flying the Swedish Flag

i think robin will have some company soon

there's patrik brydolf and daniel berta coming up.Maybe people had given up on berta because of the fact that he did next top nothing last year but he had alot of injuries to deal with..if he can stay healthy and play well this year he could be in the top 200 by the end of the year...so could brydolf

there's also ofcourse christain lindell who does want to play for brazil so, we'll see

at the very least, like i said there's brydolf and berta who i expect to make their presence known soon

MaxPower 10-05-2011 05:34 AM

Good post this so let me revive this thread. The big shame is that Pim-Pim Johansson got unlucky with injuries or I'm pretty sure we could have had two swedes in the top50 and maybe even in the top20.

Sadly I don't have much faith in Berta and Brydolf. I don't think they have been showing the progress you want to see in a future top player. Lindell? Hmm dunno. Not very hopeful there either. I wish at least one of them could hit a big breakthrough but if it doesn't happen soon they might get stuck a bit like Ryderstedt.

I read an article not long ago about the Ymer brothers but they are only 12 and 15 atm. The younger one has won more of the kid tournaments then Borg, Wilander, Edberg and Soderling and the older just won gold in the european youth-olympics. (http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13699787.ab)

Could be some kind of swedish response to the williams sisters going on there but still a few years left before you really can see what they got. Seems they might not grow as physically big and strong as Pim-pim and Soderling either.

Personally I think swedish tennis should focus on developing players in the style of Enqvist/Pim-Pim/Soderling that plays with major power in the groundgame and also has a big serve to back it up. Johansson and Björkman was also very special and both had a volley game that was among the best on the tour but today it feels like the passing shots are so good that Soderlings style is the way to go.

I don't think Sweden can develop some kind of low error/grinder style players though because every freaking country is probably trying to develop that type of players and with Swedens small population it's not gonna be as successful as spain etc

I mostly hope for a new physical freak around 6'4-> that also has the talent of Pim-Pim/Soderling

cristalmeister 10-20-2011 06:05 PM

I do have a some hope for Brydolf and Lindell. Not Lindahl. As mentioned, I as well am longing to see what the Ymer brothers will develop into.