MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   MensTennisForums.com Fan Blogs (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Next Point - New tennis site (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=174492)

Jesmond10 01-03-2011 11:50 PM

The Next Point - New tennis site

Hi Everyone,

I have recently launched a new tennis website: The Next Point

The Next Point is a site devoted entirely to in-depth analysis of menís tennis. Iíd tell you to think of it as a menís tennis blog, but, realistically, the trick will be to get you to think of it as anything else. It does not feature daily news, rankings, or any of the stuff you can easily find elsewhere.

For myself, I'm a professional writer, including a prizewinning novelist. I've been into tennis for nearly 25 years, and used to play to a reasonably high competitive level.

The title comes from a quote by the great Rod Laver: ďThe next point Ė thatís all you must think about.Ē Growing up in Queensland, Australia, not far from the Rockhampton Rocketís birthplace, Laverís name was spoken with hushed reverence in our household.

Based on when the site was launched (nearer the end the 2010 season), the content is thus far weighted towards the top players. I realise this might be upsetting for some, but it's not my intention to continue in this way. It's just how it has worked out so far.

In any case, I hope you have a read and find The Next Point enjoyable.

Regards,

Jesse Pentecost

Jesmond10 01-10-2011 10:05 PM

Re: The Next Point - New tennis site

Hi Everyone,

New post up on The Next Point, summing up the past week's tournaments: Overload

The four entires before that are all also about either the Hopman Cup or the Brisbane International. Hope you enjoy them.

Regards,
Jesse Pentecost

theKSHE 01-10-2011 10:14 PM

Bookmarked, promising website. I believe that you could turn that theme even better by customizing the right sidebar.

Jesmond10 01-17-2011 10:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

Another week's worth of posts up on The Next Point, covering such players as Nalbandian, Dimitrov, Monfils, de Bakker, Troicki and others. There's also an Australian Open Qualifying match I watched live, and some stuff about players slogging it out beyond the top 100.

Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for reading.

theKSHE: I agree, and cosmetic and navigational updates are high on the to-do list. Cheers for the feedback.

Jesmond10 01-23-2011 10:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

Another week's worth of posts up on The Next Point, all covering the first week at the Australian Open, where I was regularly in attendance:

He Snap In The Head
, covering Monfils, de Bakker and Dimitrov.

The Jingos, covering some outer court action, including Youzhny, Lopez and Bellucci.

The Tomic Test, in which I fail to be impressed by Tomic, and am even less impressed with Lopez.

A Stuttering Stream, featuring Roddick, Haase, Federer and Malisse (plus others).

Another Game For Milos!, about, you guessed it, everyone's favourite Canadian propsect.

A Clear Way Forward, in which I am more impressed by Tomic, but not by Nadal's t-shirt.

dombrfc 01-23-2011 01:38 PM

Bookmarked, good stuff :D

Sham Kay 01-23-2011 01:42 PM

Hey, good stuff. I'm liking your writing style. Keep it up, I'll continue to follow your website.

Jesmond10 01-29-2011 09:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

Another week's worth of posts up on The Next Point, all covering the second week at the Australian Open:

Thrashing Roddick As Aesthetic Experience, in which I explain my disappointment that I won't be able to witness a patented Federer street mugging.

Officially On Notice, covering fourth round action, where nothing quite works out as predicted, and Nadal discovers some form.

Triumph And Disaster, which looks at Nadal's quarterfinal loss to Ferrer.

The More Things Change, a roundup of the other three quarterfinals, including Federer, Djokovic, Murray and Djokovic.

Blinking First, which examines Djokovic's win over Federer in the first semifinal.

A Tennis Player, featuring Murray, Ferrer and the reliably foolish Channel 7 commentary team.

Jesmond10 01-30-2011 12:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

A look at Djokovic's victory in the Australian Open men's final on The Next Point: A Second Stamp.

Thanks for reading.

Jesmond10 02-07-2011 01:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

Another week's worth of posts up on The Next Point, all covering the first week of February:

Valuable Lessons, which looks at some of the things we can take away from the Australian Open.

Thrill Machine, which looks at a couple of early round encounters from Zagreb (Karlovic) and Johannesberg (Raonic).

So Far From Anywhere, looking at the sadly underdone SA Tennis Open, including the obligatory dig at Feliciano Lopez, because I just can't help myself.

An Ever Expanding Category, looking at the recently announced partnership between Babolat and Roland Garros.

Luck of the Draw: Rotterdam Edition, a quick look at the upcoming week in Rotterdam.

That Almost Never Happens, recapping Johannesburg, Zagreb, and Santiago.

Henry Chinaski 02-08-2011 11:48 AM

Just discovered this thread. Have subscribed to your site. Like what I read so far.

Jesmond10 02-09-2011 04:34 AM

Thanks very much.

krystlel 02-12-2011 01:39 PM

I like your blog, and your way of writing. I like all the random little observations. There isn't really any other blog like it (I suppose because of your different background in writing). Very unique. :yeah:

Action Jackson 02-12-2011 01:44 PM

This guy likes making fun of LaLo, hmm good reading already.

Jesmond10 02-15-2011 08:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

Another week's worth of posts up on The Next Point, all covering the second week of February:

Risking Censure, featuring some action from Rotterdam and San Jose, including Pistol Pete.

Great Matches Youíve Probably Never Heard Of #3, in which I relive the Sydney 2003 final, when Hung-Taik Lee defeated Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Why Compare?, looking at the problems of a structuralist approach to tennis appreciation.

Donít Watch This Space, a recap of the week's tournaments for average tennis viewers, who were probably unaware that any tennis was actually on.