MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Team USA (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Young - Matosevic Rivalry (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=171352)

Matchu 10-26-2010 10:43 AM

Young - Matosevic Rivalry

So if you haven't heard already Donald Young can't seem to beat this Australian player named Marinko Matosevic. It all started in Indian Wells earlier this year when Donald should have won and blew 5 match points. Here is Matosevic's take on what happened that day:

Quote:

The first time we played at Indian Wells in qualifying I had no right to win, I had played a marathon match the day before that lasted three and a half hours. I had no right to beat him the first time and it was a third-set tiebreaker and I saved five match points.
Fast forward four months to the Aptos challenger where Matosevic played Young in the final. Young was up a break in the first and leading before Matosevic came roaring back and beat him 6-4 6-2. Allegedly during a changeover in the first set when Young was leading 4-2 Matosevic had some words with the umpire about line calls and Donald got involved in the argument.

Now we fast forward another three months to the Sacramento Challenger where a second seeded Donald Young is drawn to face the unseeded Matosevic in the second round. Marinko was able to win the match easily 6-2 6-3. Donald posted a tweet on his Twitter account following the match and is as follows:

Quote:

Still a prick. Find a way man. Stop letting it effect you. Last time.
Now fast forward to last week where Young was due to face Matosevic in the semifinals. The match ended up being a boil over 6-3 6-0 and here is what Donald posted on his Twitter account post match:

Quote:

Still on wild goose hunt for the bolts some chumps took out of my rims! Jus to be annoying.
When being asked about the rivalry following their match in Calabasas Marinko had this to say:

Quote:

I just match up well against him. Maybe itís mental. He didnít shake my hand after I beat him the last time in Sacramento and I think he has a problem with me. But thatís OK. There may be a little bit of gamesmanship going on out there. But tonight I didnít do anything. As Mike (Loo) the tournament supervisor said I was on my best behavior.
Not shaking someone's hand after a tennis match is about as low as it gets. I think this is a prime example of one of the reasons the Don will never step up to ATP level consistently. His ego is getting in the way of him actually being able to produce solid tennis, regardless of the opponent. What ever the case is the next three challengers in the US may invite us into a countdown to the fifth meeting between the two, or as I like to call it Young - Matosevic V.

Rob_C 10-28-2010 05:05 AM

Re: Young - Matosevic Rivalry

DY's not the 1st person to have not shaken an opponents hand after a match, so in that respect, I think you're jumping to conclusions.

Matosevic definitely has his number right now, and, for DY, I guess it's a taste of his own medicine cause he has similar records against a few people. Bobby Reynolds, Rajeev Ram, Smyczek, Sweeting come to mind.

I have to think that DY will be able to turn it around, Fed did against Hewitt & Nalbandian, even thought they're different players, offensive/defensive.

DY has always been the better player accomplishments & rankings wise, but for some reason he struggles with this guy, and I'm not sure why. All I've seen of Matosevic is some YouTube clips of him losing in the LA Open qualies to a college player, Steve Johnson, but he does have two Challenger titles this yr, plus I think beating Llodra at IW this yr when he qualified.

To me he seems really stiff & robotic, nothing special at all. I do think once he gets over the hump, if he does, he'll continue to do well against MM. Maybe he needs to change strategy, not keep doing what he has been for the past 3 matches, cause it's not working.

The 1st match DY should have won, he had triple match pt in the 3rd set, cant blow that.

Matchu 11-04-2010 09:28 PM

Well we are now just two matches away from Young v. Matosevic V. Young faces Kendrick and Matosevic will play either Dent or De Voest. Should both win the rivalry will be alive again. 5 losses in a row would practically kill the Don's confidence as well as see him drop in the rankings. Another incentive for Matosevic to win is he will be the Aussie number two tennis player in setting up the Young match, hopefully it happens.

Rob_C 11-05-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchu (Post 10491345)
Well we are now just two matches away from Young v. Matosevic V. Young faces Kendrick and Matosevic will play either Dent or De Voest. Should both win the rivalry will be alive again. 5 losses in a row would practically kill the Don's confidence as well as see him drop in the rankings. Another incentive for Matosevic to win is he will be the Aussie number two tennis player in setting up the Young match, hopefully it happens.

If DY makes the semis his ranking won't drop, it'll stay where it is, pretty much, because he's only defending 29 pts from this tournament from last year. U get 29 pts for making the semis, so it's a wash.

As for your earlier comment about DY not shaking Matosevic's hand, apparently an umpire did that also this wk in Charlottesville. That tells me Matosevic is a bit of a character.