MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The Federer Express (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What has been the highlight of Roger's year for you? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=17071)

WyveN 09-17-2004 02:13 PM

What has been the highlight of Roger's year for you?

Winning AO was the highlight of Roger's season for me so far.

Beating Hewitt on Australian day after going down a set on the same court as the DC loss was magical, then finally beating Nalbandian who was in hot form, followed by a victory over Ferrero to get the #1 ranking and finally beating the giant killer Safin to end a memorable fortnight.

LCeh 09-17-2004 02:19 PM

Re: What been the highlight of Roger's year for you?

For me it's definitely Wimbledon. Being able to defend a grand slam, going in there as the huge favorite, bagels his first 2 opponents, breezes into the quarters, then lost a set and a service game, but still bagelled Hewitt, breezes through Grosjean, and then losing the first set and down a break in the third, and still comes back to win the title was amazing. (Huge run on sentence... :lol: )

WyveN 09-17-2004 02:21 PM

Re: What has been the highlight of Roger's year for you?

Vote LCeh ;)

SUKTUEN 09-17-2004 02:23 PM

I think is Winning Wimbledon - victory over Red hot Roddick after a great comeback

I think in Roger 's heart, Wimby is most important ~~ :worship:

ytben 09-17-2004 02:31 PM

For me Wimbledon definetely is the highlight. I know the whole journey to the final was a bit ho hum, but the final made up for it in a big way. That was where not only his tennis on display, but also his inner strength.

For him to defend his most loved slam when he's not playing his best against a fired up opponent is just magical :D

EDIT: Furthermore, I think this is the deciding point on Rogi and Andy's year to determine who will have the momentum for the top position.

lsy 09-17-2004 02:32 PM

WyveN...I was alreadying thinking about this when I posted in the USO thread much earliet on and was wondering what all the Rogi fans thoughs too.

gosh, I thought it will be an easy choice for me at first glance but after reading your options, seems like every one is a highlight for me! :eek: WyveN, you're making it so difficult to vote :mad:

I still have to say Wimbledon though, the emotional rides in Hewitt and Andy matches was terrifying and not to mention that it was one tournament when Rogi was flat out determined to win right from the 1st round...so to see him finally achieving that was very very satisfying.

But damn why isn't there an "all of the above" option? ;)

WyveN 09-17-2004 02:38 PM

I wonder if Roger would chose Wimbledon. I am certain it is the one tournament he would choose at the start of the year but looking back at things sometimes unexpected victories are more special.

LCeh 09-17-2004 02:56 PM

Sorry, forgot to vote. :o

Voted now.

yanchr 09-17-2004 04:24 PM

It's a toss between the first one and the Wimbledon. I go this way: if I take away the AO win with all the others still there, I think world No.1 is still due for Roger this year. But if I take away the Wimbledon, nothing can make up for it.

I heard and believe that what makes you a great champion standing out of normal champions is when you manage to defend your big titles, GS titles it means. Plus a tough comeback victory in the GS final just got in me way more than some relatively easy wins even if with brilliant performance from beginning to end.

That said, of course any other highlight is also there to make 2004 Roger's year. Just I still remeber how much I wanted Roger to defend his Wimbly long before it set off, no way I felt the same before any other tourney.

martirogi 09-17-2004 04:26 PM

Defending Wimbledon, I think he played the best of the year there.

Fergie 09-17-2004 04:35 PM

Wimbledon ... Roger defended successfully his title playing a spectacular tennis :yeah:

Mrs. B 09-17-2004 05:26 PM

Wimbledon. Defending it against Roddick who looked like he was gonna win it before the rain delay and coming back to win it in 4. very special. the tennis gods have favored Roger.

:)

Dirk 09-17-2004 06:20 PM

Doing a Borg, Wimbly, Gstaad, Toronto. That basically just sums up how mighty Ninja really is. That is one record I doubt will ever be matched. Just Borg and Rogi. :)

Skyward 09-17-2004 07:47 PM

Wimbledon. To defend a title is the the hardest thing in sports.

Dirk 09-17-2004 07:54 PM

Harder than a doing a borg? How many people have defended Wimbly then how many people have done what rogi and borg did? Only 2 and 7 have defended wimbly in the open era.