MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Strange opponent behaviors (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=165377)

straitup 07-13-2010 04:54 AM

Strange opponent behaviors

Who was the strangest person you ever played against? Not talking tennis style-wise, but attitude. Like, for example, I played a guy from Texas...he was calm and shy before the match, but he dropped the f-bomb every time he missed. Nice guy, but the handshake was rather bittersweet.

borracho 07-13-2010 12:18 PM

Re: Strange opponent behaviors

I played an old guy once who smoked during the breaks lol.

Angle Queen 07-20-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borracho (Post 10147323)
I played an old guy once who smoked during the breaks lol.

During breaks? I once played a mixed match where the man lit his cigarette during the break, then stuck it in the fence behind the baseline...and took puffs between points. We damn near died laughing...til we got down in the first set to them...then had to come back strong. Won it going away in the second...but jeez...talk about addicted. :rolleyes:

I also play against a bunch of women who have a whole litany of strange behaviors -- everything from the way their hair looks to where their bag has to be on the crossovers.

straitup 07-20-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angle Queen (Post 10164140)
During breaks? I once played a mixed match where the man lit his cigarette during the break, then stuck it in the fence behind the baseline...and took puffs between points. We damn near died laughing...til we got down in the first set to them...then had to come back strong. Won it going away in the second...but jeez...talk about addicted. :rolleyes:

I also play against a bunch of women who have a whole litany of strange behaviors -- everything from the way their hair looks to where their bag has to be on the crossovers.

:haha: That's hardcore

DartMarcus 07-28-2010 01:46 PM

I played a guy, who used to change his t-shirt, his cap and his racquette every time there was a change of ends. He yelled "Go to daddy" (on russian) every time he won a point, and yelled "Fuck" (on russian) every time he lost a point.

DualMedia 07-31-2010 02:46 AM

I played against a girl who would scream everytime she hit the ball! it was a funny scream so you laughed!

Lopez 08-02-2010 03:27 PM

I once played a guy who was hungover and he took a beer during changeovers :lol:

Johnny Groove 08-02-2010 09:28 PM

Am I allowed to say myself from the viewpoint of my opponent? :p

I'm mentally so up and down. Cursing over a missed forehand, monologues with myself too. Example: "Oh my fucking GOD! Another double fault! You're fighting your ass off to stay in this, and you double fault on game point? Fuck!"

Or

"Son of a bitch, you just missed two 2nd serve forehand returns, bro! And both on break point! Shit!"

Or

"Fuckin' A, you can't miss that forehand."

Or

"Get into position better, dude. Your footwork is sloppier than Lindsay Lohan."

Or

"Holy shit he's hitting more lines than Mickey Rourke!"

Or

"How can you miss such an easy shot?!?! You are such a pussy! Get fucked!"

:rolls:

To be honest, it is probably really funny from my opponent's point of view, but I'm just in agony when I have these talks with myself. Funny enough, I play my best tennis when I'm focused and not talking to myself.