MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   How to deal with high balls (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=164696)

straitup 06-30-2010 05:27 AM

How to deal with high balls

So I must admit I'm not that great at tennis but I'm still trying to improve...that being said, I'm pretty good against flat hitters because the ball is right in my strike zone. Also, when someone hits a lob or moonball kind of thing, I can return it fine and smash it sometimes too. However, it always feels weird when I'm trying to be offensive and the ball is like 3 feet over me...like the follow through just feels weird.

I know you usually are supposed to either hit it early or move back and let it bounce, but in terms of hitting it when it is above your strike zone, is it best to do a kind of buggy whip over your same shoulder?

Any advice would be great...thanks guys

Johnny Groove 06-30-2010 08:12 PM

Re: How to deal with high balls

Move in and take it on the rise. It is difficult and requires good timing, but the rewards are plentiful.

Smoke944 06-30-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Charmer (Post 10111769)
Move in and take it on the rise. It is difficult and requires good timing, but the rewards are plentiful.

Agreed, and shorten your backswing to almost nothing when you do this. That can really help you time it well and not mishit the ball.

straitup 06-30-2010 09:06 PM

Ok so I'm guessing that if some of the shots I have to hit are above my shoulders or so, then I need to move my feet better so that I can hit it lower?

Johnny Groove 07-01-2010 02:40 PM

The key is to move quickly and hit the ball before it bounces up around your shoulder.

Kolya 07-05-2010 07:03 AM

Or you could just move back and return the ball with a lot of margin for error and most importantly deep in your opponent's side.

It is 2 fold, depends on the situation. A ball may bounce high but may not have much pace or it may be faster and more aggressively topspun.

cocoh54 09-15-2010 04:47 AM

Keep your balance lower. To keep your good balance, you need to move quickly.

leng jai 09-25-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groove Dude (Post 10114191)
The key is to move quickly and hit the ball before it bounces up around your shoulder.

We're not all Andre Agassi.

Chang.Mike.Chang 09-25-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai (Post 10388749)
We're not all Andre Agassi.

Pretty much any decent level player can do it.

HKz 09-27-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chang.Mike.Chang (Post 10388810)

Which is why all pros take the ball of the rise, right?

Fact is NO, not every player can hit on the rise consistently. Players who have a talent for timing and have short backswings are the kind of player that CAN take the ball of the rise. Obviously taking the ball on the rise and being able to do something with the ball is a strength to have, so if any "decent" player were able to do this, then why don't more pros do this? Instead, you have Nadal and friends standing many feet behind the baseline. Federer/Davydenko/Nalbandian are pretty much the only great players at the moment who take the ball early and actually do something with the ball.

Look, you just have to take a look at yourself and ask if you feel comfortable with taking balls on the rise. If you don't feel comfortable, maybe you're just better off playing a bit further from the baseline, and nothing is wrong with that.

leng jai 09-27-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chang.Mike.Chang (Post 10388810)

Spoken like Andre Agassi himself.