MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gael Monfils Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Grass Season 2k10 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=163215)

DualMedia 06-05-2010 11:08 PM

Grass Season 2k10

lets start talking!

Truc 06-06-2010 07:36 AM

Re: Grass Season 2k10

I'm not holding my breathe because he really hates the grass and can't move at all on this surface, but his condition trainer seemed determined after RG to seriously kick his ass this time and not let him get away with his usual "I can't play on this surface" tanking of the grass season.

Truc 06-06-2010 07:37 AM

His draw:
(6) MONFILS, Gael FRA/BYE
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER v GIMENO-TRAVER, Daniel ESP
BECK, Karol SVK v RAM, Rajeev USA
NISHIKORI, Kei JPN v (11) GASQUET, Richard FRA

(14) SELA, Dudi ISR v GUCCIONE, Chris AUS
PRZYSIEZNY, Michal POL v MULLER, Gilles LUX
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS v MARCHENKO, Illya UKR
BYE/(4) RODDICK, Andy USA

He also plays in doubles with Huss.

He was supposed to arrive in London on Friday after some intensive condition training in the French mountains.

MsTree 06-06-2010 08:40 AM

One of the funniest bits of last year's Mousquetaires was Gael's early grass practice, it was like he was trying to play on ice. Hilarious :lol: Ah well, allez Gael!

Cloudygirl 06-06-2010 08:52 AM

Good I'm glad someone is giving him a kick up the ass. He needs it!

PinkFeatherBoa 06-06-2010 05:07 PM

I watched Gael practise today (with Gasquet) and really he didn't look too bad. Hopefully he will surprise us this grass season.

soulage 06-08-2010 01:15 PM

it looks like the knees are not ok. He's touching one a lot. He doesn't look very happy to be on court for the moment. 1-3 down

He calls the physio this is the left knee

clemm 06-08-2010 01:28 PM

Hey!!! where do you see the match?
I'm just watching the result on the Queen's website and he lost his first "jeu"! I don't know how to say that! lol
I'd love to see it live!

poor baby, he's always hurt

Truc 06-08-2010 01:32 PM

You can find livestreams here: http://www.livescorehunter.com/Lives...re-Tennis.html
It's on Eurosport 2 here in Germany, you can watch it on the Eurosport Player if you have a subscription.

But really, you're not missing anything so far, he's just limping and not moving at all.

clemm 06-08-2010 01:36 PM

bon bah ca c'est fait!
thanks so much for the link! I'm watching right now.
he doesn't look so great :(

Senegal 06-08-2010 07:29 PM

Reading through GM whenever Gael loses (and sometimes when he wins now that I think of it) is a major chore these days. And I'm just a lurker.

But anyway, what if any positives can be taken from today?

At least he didn't pack it all up and go home without any spirit at all after the first set when he looked like he didn't really want to be there. I thought this years grass court season was going to be even shorter than last years when he tweaked his knee in the first 5 minutes! Too sloppy in the third set though and in the match generally, no consistency at all even when things were looking slightly better.

We all know he has no fluency on grass but I thought he did okay for the section of the match after Rainer blew his chance of winning in straights. Seemed to be moving better than the start, anyway. Dipped away again after that.

British TV even managed to have a brief chat with Rasheed after the 1st set which was a bit unusual. Essentially he said it was up to Gael if he wanted to retire after hurting the knee (which I thought he might then) but his view was to fight through it and a show a bit more hunger. Other than that he said the last few days were spent getting Gael acquainted with the surface (heh).

DualMedia 06-11-2010 07:28 PM

Let's hope he is in good condition for Wimbledon!

Truc 06-19-2010 06:17 PM

His Wimby draw, tough but interesting imo:
[21] Gael Monfils (FRA) - Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
Karol Beck (SVK) - Philipp Petzschner (GER)
Eduardo Schwank (ARG) - Evgeny Korolev (KAZ)
Maximo Gonzalez (ARG) - [15] Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)

He seems to have been practicing seriously during the past few days, so maybe there's a chance he takes it seriously and gives his best effort on the court.
Rasheed sounded pretty pleased with GaŽl's effort during the Boodles Challenge exhibition, he said GaŽl is moving better and obviously trying to put into practice what Rasheed wants him to focus on on grass (= to aim at certain areas on serve and to be more careful about his returns).

The Freak 06-21-2010 02:12 AM

Petzschner was replaced by Santiago Giraldo due to Gulbis' withdrawal.

Senegal 06-21-2010 02:33 PM

Nice, clean win with very pretty stats today :D Serve was working a treat.

Karol Beck next probably, BOL Gael.