MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Why do I like tennis? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=161339)

Tennisleader01 05-05-2010 06:34 PM

Why do I like tennis?
 
I think the main reason for why I like so much this sport is because I am on my own...everything depends on me, I don't have any team fellows to rely on. ( I don't like team sports). And, to be honest, I am not so keen on playing tennis at double, either.

I think this aspect also reveals part of my personality. It's not about being unsocial, introvertit, or something like that...I think it's all about being powerful and self-confident. In a tennis match (at single) the result only depends on you, on your mental and physical strength and talent. And, of course,it also depends on the help of God.

And, another important thing (for why most of you might consider me a bit selfish) is that when you win a prize, it is all yours, you don't have to share it with anybody! :angel:

doraponting 06-13-2010 07:22 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
ya i like all sports actully , i like to play tennis and have played at collge level but them left du to studies

krystlel 06-13-2010 07:59 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
I like to play tennis in a team the most. You still get to play your singles match, but it means more because it counts towards the team score. Sometimes if I play a tournament the whole night with consecutive matches, I tune out a bit, and don't really think it matters if I don't try that hard.

Yeah, singles matches are great. I mean because it's only you, obviously you get to feel much more involved in it, both in terms of activity and emotionally. The good thing is you can get as angry as you want about yourself or the match. When it's over, everything's fine again.

I always wondered what it'd be like to play a team sport as one of the star players, that everyone passes the ball to, though. I guess many people haven't experienced the same thing before.

HKz 08-27-2010 08:16 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
For sure tennis is the greatest sport on earth IMO, and I'm talking about singles. Sorry doubles, it is fun, but I can't get too serious about doubles.

But yes, you are out there all by yourself, you control whether you live by the sword or die by it, you can play to win or play to not lose, etc. And the variety of the game is so amazing, you can play with different spins, speeds, techniques, etc. The best part? You play against one person. It is almost like boxing and when you win, the high you get from knowing that you are better than one human on this planet for at least an hour or two is absolutely fantastic, I have never encountered this feeling in other sports ever.

Tennis is like boxing and chess combined.

brag32 09-13-2010 08:16 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 10291216)
The best part? You play against one person. It is almost like boxing and when you win, the high you get from knowing that you are better than one human on this planet for at least an hour or two is absolutely fantastic, I have never encountered this feeling in other sports ever.

My thoughts exactly.:sport:

cocoh54 09-14-2010 08:38 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
I also like to play tennis in a team the most! Yes, everything depends on yourself, but you cant play tennis without mates ;)

HKz 09-27-2010 03:01 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cocoh54 (Post 10359558)
I also like to play tennis in a team the most! Yes, everything depends on yourself, but you cant play tennis without mates ;)

Then what are professionals doing..?

Bernard Black 11-12-2010 10:04 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
It's a great question. I think the variety of the game really draws me in, there are just so many ways to play and I don't think I've ever played two matches in the same way. Physically speaking there's just so much you can do with a tennis ball, I can't think of any other sport where you need such an in-depth, yet almost entirely subconscious, knowledge of physics.

The only downside for me is that height is such an advantage! It pains me to see players with poor skills and technique playing the game to a high standard simply because they can effortlessly throw down huge first serves and dish out big forehands. I'm 5'10" so it's more of a challenge for me to hit aces!

HKz 11-12-2010 10:28 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Black (Post 10512298)
It's a great question. I think the variety of the game really draws me in, there are just so many ways to play and I don't think I've ever played two matches in the same way. Physically speaking there's just so much you can do with a tennis ball, I can't think of any other sport where you need such an in-depth, yet almost entirely subconscious, knowledge of physics.

The only downside for me is that height is such an advantage! It pains me to see players with poor skills and technique playing the game to a high standard simply because they can effortlessly throw down huge first serves and dish out big forehands. I'm 5'10" so it's more of a challenge for me to hit aces!

Yes, the height is sometimes a disappointment. I'm 6'0" but I sometimes do wish I was another 3 or 4 inches, haha. Some people claim "well at least you get good footwork being shorter" but come on, look at Murray/Monfils who are 6'3"/6'4" and they have amazing footwork, footspeed and big first serves!

JM-Del-Potro 12-18-2010 01:04 PM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisleader01 (Post 9881401)
I think the main reason for why I like so much this sport is because I am on my own...everything depends on me, I don't have any team fellows to rely on. ( I don't like team sports). And, to be honest, I am not so keen on playing tennis at double, either.

I think this aspect also reveals part of my personality. It's not about being unsocial, introvertit, or something like that...I think it's all about being powerful and self-confident. In a tennis match (at single) the result only depends on you, on your mental and physical strength and talent. And, of course,it also depends on the help of God.

And, another important thing (for why most of you might consider me a bit selfish) is that when you win a prize, it is all yours, you don't have to share it with anybody! :angel:

Same for me...when I played football, many times me and other teammates ran also for those who didn't want to run so much...I like beacuse it depends on me, if I'm wrong it's my fault, and I'm the only one to blame and I know how to not doing that mistake again, if I'm right it's all my strength.

jatin22 02-19-2011 07:19 PM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
its my favaroute game..its my passion

robert_craig72 04-16-2011 12:25 PM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
because it's full of action... :)

Sniperdoggy 04-18-2011 02:28 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
because it's the only other sport besides golf that if you screw up you cant blame somebody else and rely on other teammates for help you are on your own and that's what makes it special

Sniperdoggy 04-18-2011 02:30 AM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
sorry boxing is also another sport where you rely on yourself so is MMA too i guess??

robert_craig72 04-20-2011 03:09 PM

Re: Why do I like tennis?
 
because it's fun :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.