MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   A good tennis match makes me eager to play (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=161308)

Tennisleader01 05-04-2010 09:00 PM

A good tennis match makes me eager to play

Every time I see a good tennis match on TV or PC, I start feeling eager to play tennis. My favourite opponent is my father, with whom I always enjoy playing, even if, at his 50, he beats me almost all the time. :o. But, for my mental confort, after every lost match, I keep saying: "Tennis is not about winning, is about enjoying every single hit of the ball, every single movement" :cool:

After a tennis match between two professional players, which is a mosaic of aces, great backhands and forehands, contra-pieds and long, solicitating balls, I feel like I could do those things with the same grace as they do it. And then I ask my father: " Wanna play tennis?".

Heheh, it's funny because sometimes I feel very confident with my play, sometimes I am really good, but the problem is that I am not a constant player. So what do you suggest?

batavlada 05-04-2010 11:52 PM

Re: A good tennis match makes me eager to play

In legs/movement is 90% of preparation. In head you must be focused all the time and play smarter.

coonster14 05-05-2010 12:55 AM

hey there, im in the same boat as you, me and my friend always get wound up to play after watching an epic tennis match on tv (aka fed/roddick wimbledon 09, fed/delpo 09).

i think i am a pretty consistent ball striker, but my anticipation and tactics could be much better, recently i started coming into the net more to put away floating returns. i just need a slightly stronger serve and higher 1st serve %.

usually matches between me and my friend end up lasting 4 sets, and its 50:50 that i win.

but yeh, tennis is really all about being mentally strong, i do not panic when things get tight, i just learn to play each point for what it is worth, i basically play a match with the mentality of 'ok, well its 0-0 for each point, lets play ball', it helps to really settle you down.

like you, i rarely play these days compared to say 5-10 years ago, that was a weekly thing, now it is more or less like a hit every 2 months or so.

n8 05-05-2010 07:11 AM

It's funny; when I saw a match on TV in the past, I often found myself thinking 'that doesn't look too difficult/ they are not that much better than me'. But when I saw tennis court side at the Australian Open this year (my first time watching live matches in almost a decade), I very quickly saw how much better than me they are. It's so much quicker than it looks on TV and they are hitting it so early and with so much spin and pace.

To answer your question, watching tennis definitely makes me want to play. But probably more so watching it on TV as it makes me feel better about my game :). I also think that watching professionals can make you eager to copy them. I remember having a great time trying to copy Nadal's forehand.

BlueSwan 05-05-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatRacket (Post 9879584)
I remember having a great time trying to copy Nadal's forehand.

I once tried to copy Berasategui's forehand back in the day. I'd advice against it!

LEGENDOFTENNIS 05-05-2010 10:27 AM

Same, Anyone know off any tennis courts in Birmingham(UK)?

sakbar 05-26-2010 06:36 AM

Well sometimes when I see in a match some nice movements I would like to go out right away and try to do them myself, but generally a match must be to good to motivate me to go out and play.
sanfos sta paidika dwmatia kai prosfores gia to spiti