MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Philipp Kohlschreiber (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1279)
-   -   Road to Roland-Garros 2010 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=161285)

Truc 05-04-2010 06:15 PM

Road to Roland-Garros 2010

We got the forum just in time for Munich since he hasn't played yet with the stupid rain.

(1) CILIC, Marin CRO vs BERRER, Michael GER
(WC) KIEFER, Nicolas GER vs GREUL, Simon GER
ZVEREV, Mischa GER vs ANDERSON, Kevin RSA
VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL vs (6) ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP

(4) KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER vs BRANDS, Daniel GER
VENTURA, Santiago ESP vs DOLGOPOLOV JR., Oleksandr UKR
ASCIONE, Thierry FRA vs CHIUDINELLI, Marco SUI
GOJOWCZYK, Peter GER vs (5) BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP

(7) BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs PETZSCHNER, Philipp GER
KOELLERER, Daniel AUT vs ANCIC, Mario CRO
LACKO, Lukas SVK vs RIBA, Pere ESP
(WC) KRAWIETZ, Kevin GER vs (3) BERDYCH, Tomas CZE

(8/WC) BECKER, Benjamin GER vs ROBERT, Stephane FRA
HAJEK, Jan CZE vs SIDORENKO, Alexandre FRA
ISTOMIN, Denis UZB vs BECK, Andreas GER
CHARDY, Jeremy FRA vs (2) YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS

And he plays in doubles with Krawietz, a German youngster who was in the doubles Juniors final of Wimby and Melbourne, but Ancic-Knowle is a different story.

Truc 05-05-2010 11:18 AM

Re: Munich 2010

6-4, it could have been much easier though, he got an early break and wasted a couple of BP at 3-1. Then he started to make more UE, but it was enough to keep his lead.
I'm a little nervous because Brands just made a Challenger final on clay - losing to Brands would be a big no-no!

I just came across this video interview he gave during the promo thing before the Munich event, it's in German, but it makes me smile because they insistently remind him of the bagel against Cilic last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FXIlYeOBcs
He says it was bitter indeed, but that's what he deserved for his performance. Is he particularly eager to play Cilic again so he can make up for it? He answers he already did in a way because he beat Cilic in a 3rd set TB in Madrid the week after the Munich disaster. And he rather hopes not to play Cilic at all because he's so tough to play.
Very strong field this year in Munich with Cilic, Berdych, Youzhny, Baggy - he has already lost to all of them. The good thing is that he has also beaten all of them at least once, so he knows he can do it. (He actually has a decent record against them, apart from Berdych.)
He also says the transition from harcourt to clay is getting easier and easier for him. It used to be a real problem, he needed at least two weeks to feel well on clay, but he deals much better with this kind of things with the passing years.

Truc 05-05-2010 11:40 AM

He called the physio for his back. :-/

His serve looks OK, though, 3-3.

5-3*, the medical time-out worked wonders, he's playing better and more aggressive.

Brownie 05-05-2010 11:56 AM

I turned the livestream on just in time to see the handshake :p

Nice to see he got the win though :bigclap: Hopefully the back thing is nothing serious...

Brownie 05-05-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truc (Post 9880025)
He also says the transition from harcourt to clay is getting easier and easier for him. It used to be a real problem, he needed at least two weeks to feel well on clay, but he deals much better with this kind of things with the passing years.

That's good! I seem to remember him saying he also likes to take a day or so to settle into a new city for a tournament. Takes him a bit to get acclimated I guess!

misty1 05-05-2010 12:20 PM

good win philip, just in time for me to go to school to:)

Truc 05-05-2010 03:48 PM

The back must be OK, he's playing doubles atm.

Ventura next, he actually has a losing record against him, but that was ages ago (2004).

瑞士小馅饼 05-06-2010 01:29 AM

that's cool!

Truc 05-06-2010 07:15 AM

tennislive.tv usually has the matches on demand, but nothing yet this year...
They lost in doubles, but they did better than I was expecting (10-8 in the third set). It's obvious he was focussing on singles anyway, playing with Krawietz. He says in the new column on his website that he knows him from the TennisBase where they both train in Munich and that it's important to help the youngsters too.

http://www.bmwopen.de/news/news-deta...ber/index.html
He says his match was OK. He was a bit tense, always special to play against a friend.
Ventura next, he has a big backhand and plays clever, with a lot of dropshots.
The conditions are not ideal for Kohli, his topspin works better on a dry court, it was a problem for him during the rallies. He also uses natural gut strings and it's particularly difficult to adjust to rainy conditions then. On the other hand, the wet court was making it easier to return Brands' serve.

He's been feeling a little pain in the back since last week and wanted to be sure everything is fine, but it doesn't hamper him during the game.

misty1 05-06-2010 01:56 PM

kohli getting ready to play ventura now

misty1 05-06-2010 02:06 PM

breaks at 40-0 to go up 2-0 early

misty1 05-06-2010 02:15 PM

bit of a moment whereit looked like he might give the break right back at 30-40 but he fought it off.

philipp up 3-0

misty1 05-06-2010 02:36 PM

philipp takes the first set 6-2

and he's serving incredibly at 88%

misty1 05-06-2010 02:48 PM

up a break early in the 2nd at 3-0

still serving really well to

it looks like he maybe wants to end things as fast as possible since it could start raining again

sighs..

holds off the break point then has ace # 8 for set point and holds..that was scary

misty1 05-06-2010 02:59 PM

philipp serving for the game at 5-1 in the second set