MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Do you find yourself unconsciously emulating shots of pros? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=160462)

out_here_grindin 04-15-2010 11:05 PM

Do you find yourself unconsciously emulating shots of pros?

I have recently started to hit my forehand like Kohlscrieber. Not sure why but my body movement and swing is just loike his on the forehand side. It has not always been like this. And my serve has slowly become Roddick like.

Have you experienced anything like this?

Angle Queen 04-27-2010 12:16 AM

Re: Do you find yourself unconsciously emulating shots of pros?

Yep. When Hewitt was on the tube a lot...I started doing the straight-armed take-back he uses for his BH. I don't quite use it as much these days (I'm playing mostly doubles and on the FH side)...but when I find myself struggling with my BH...I go back to it...and it gets me back in the groove. It's easy to manage and produces consistent (but not necessarily spectacular) results.

Wish my serve would get more Roddick-like. :lol:

StevoTG 04-30-2010 12:44 AM

Yeah, I occasioanlly tend to mimic Roddick's service motion (but with not quite with the devasting results A-Rod gets) though this is being coached out of my game at the moment. If I attack a very short ball -inside the service box- with a forehand I usually set up for the shot like Roddick also. Roddick would be the player I seem to unintentionally emulate most (including general movemnt). I use a lot more touch than Roddick but I don't seem to copy any pros in this regard. I have a one-handed backhand that I intentionally try to hit like Federer and I try to emulate Hewitt in a couple of areas but that's all intentional.

HKz 08-27-2010 08:35 AM

Not strokes per say, but intensity yes. I was a huge Hewitt fan (still am) growing up, so when I was young I was always very competitive. I actually ended up getting a habit of making that grunt Lleyton does when he serves while I serve, haha.. So these days it subconsciously comes out occasionally.

I never felt replicating strokes was ever beneficial. We are all of different heights, builds, mentality, speeds, gameplay, etc. I think it is rare that players really ever become successful after mimicking a player. Of course many players do mimic a player at first and then it evolves into their own shot, but I know plenty who try to get a "xxx-forehand" or whatever and never succeeded in juniors.

brag32 09-13-2010 08:13 AM

I always find myself running around my backhand to get that fantastic inside-out forehand Federer hits on the move. Needless to say, I've framed quite a lot of balls that way.

krystlel 09-13-2010 11:25 AM

No, it is too difficult to, and usually if you emulate it, it is only what it generally looks like (mostly the swing motion), rather than the important parts.

dunlopkickserve 09-13-2010 08:05 PM

Unconciously? :p I think you mean subcounciously. But yeah Tommy Haas' serve motion and I have it working pretty effectively

Bernard Black 11-12-2010 09:48 AM

Less so these days than I used to, perhaps because I don't the time to watch as much tennis anymore.

Saying that have had a few problems with the serve this year, my motion's fallen a bit out of synch for whatever reason but the other day found myself sub-consciously emulating Federer's motion and it really helped, felt so much smoother brought about one of my best serving performances of the year.

HKz 11-12-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Black (Post 10512284)
Less so these days than I used to, perhaps because I don't the time to watch as much tennis anymore.

Saying that have had a few problems with the serve this year, my motion's fallen a bit out of synch for whatever reason but the other day found myself sub-consciously emulating Federer's motion and it really helped, felt so much smoother brought about one of my best serving performances of the year.

I can actually relate. For much of tennis life, my serve windup was very similar to Mario Ancic's where he slides his right foot from far back and then explodes onto the ball. Well after I had my bad case of a pinched nerve, I kind of lost the feel to serve like that and I started winding up like a Federer/Agassi serve wind up just by using good knee and back bend, but not too much.

out_here_grindin 11-12-2010 03:10 PM

I have started to emulate the forehand take back of Clemson player Zack Rigsby when I want to hit a flatter and deeper forehand. I actually find that watching players that are just above my level is more helpful because their games are more relatable.

HKz 11-18-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by out_here_grindin (Post 10513242)
I have started to emulate the forehand take back of Clemson player Zack Rigsby when I want to hit a flatter and deeper forehand. I actually find that watching players that are just above my level is more helpful because their games are more relatable.

Lol, not a knock on you, but I definitely would not be able to emulate a peer, haha.

out_here_grindin 11-18-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 10526076)
Lol, not a knock on you, but I definitely would not be able to emulate a peer, haha.

He is on the varisty team, was #1 in the state of SC for a long time prior to Clemson. Is your game on a D1 varsity level?

HKz 11-18-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by out_here_grindin (Post 10526371)
He is on the varisty team, was #1 in the state of SC for a long time prior to Clemson. Is your game on a D1 varsity level?

Why are you being defensive? I said "not a knock on you" which clearly means not a knock on you. I wasn't making fun of you. I'm merely pointing out the fact that I would not be able to copy any of my peers because it would just feel ridiculous to do so no matter how good they are. Because fact is, they could be someone I am competing against and I certainly would feel strange for ever emulating them.

Tennis requires arrogant players, and I know how arrogant I am, hence why I would feel like an idiot for trying to change how I play which I believe in closer to how someone my age plays. I'm not saying you're an idiot or anything negative, I'm just stating my two cents about my feelings towards your comment.

out_here_grindin 11-18-2010 11:30 PM

Well he is above my level. Not someone who I will ever play against in a competitive match. And I was genuinely asking how good do you consider your level to be. Because to me the Varsity level for an ACC school is a good bit above my own level(I am top 10 in my club but Club is much lower than varsity) but for you they may seem more like peers.

My old high school coach used to give us the least helpful advice I have ever recieved many times. Watch Federer, watch Federer, watch Federer. It just wasn't helpful because he was at a level so much higher than myself or anyone on our team.

dunlopkickserve 11-22-2010 05:26 AM

Actually, I find pro's emulating shots of me. ;););) Everyone wants to have the same shots as Adam Andexler :D