MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   French Open stays at Roland Garros (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=159446)

rocketassist 03-22-2010 11:40 PM

French Open stays at Roland Garros

If they do it, I'm done with it. History and tradition mean nothing in tennis anymore, yeah some things evolve but to take away a precious piece of tennis history is just too much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8580652.stm

Action Jackson 03-22-2010 11:44 PM

Re: Roland Garros to lose French GS?

It's a tough one as I'd like the event to stay there. At the same time they need to expand the facilities to cope with the demand.

Planning permissions, submissions and of course there is opposition to the expansion of the venue.

As long as the event stays in Paris, which it will then that is the key, as to where it's located in the city, we'll see.

tennishero 03-22-2010 11:46 PM

thats about as likely as roddick winning another slam.

seriously though, as jackson said it doesnt really matter as long as it stays in paris.

elessar 03-22-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketassist (Post 9740640)
If they do it, I'm done with it. History and tradition mean nothing in tennis anymore, yeah some things evolve but to take away a precious piece of tennis history is just too much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8580652.stm

Why?
Do you think moving from Forrest Hills to Flushing Meadows took away from the USO?

I think it's unlikely that RG is gonna stay where it is if it can't expand but I'm less than thrilled with the locations currently suggested :o

l_mac 03-22-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

The French Open attracts 450,000 spectators during the fortnight it takes place, but Ysern revealed that world number one Roger Federer had given him a "long list of complaints" about the Paris tournament.
1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

Wonder what else was on the list?

Anyway, if Rogi doesn't like it, RG's days are numbered.

paseo 03-23-2010 12:03 AM

If it were to move, we can't call it Roland Garros anymore. I always call it RG, never FO.

And what were Fed's long list of complaints about?

Forehander 03-23-2010 12:04 AM

Too bad don't watch tennis then.

l_mac 03-23-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elessar (Post 9740669)
Why?
Do you think moving from Forrest Hills to Flushing Meadows took away from the USO?

Do you think moving Wimbledon somewhere else would take away from that championship?

:retard:

elessar 03-23-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_mac (Post 9740698)
Do you think moving Wimbledon somewhere else would take away from that championship?

:retard:

Probably the name, yes :awww:

l_mac 03-23-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elessar (Post 9740711)
Probably the name, yes :awww:

You will be sorry when some young Frenchie wins the Euro-Slam! @ Disneyland Paris Open.

Sjengster 03-23-2010 12:13 AM

If the tournament itself is named after a person, not a place, then couldn't it still be Roland Garros at another venue? I mean, I suppose the current venue is called RG, but couldn't the name be transferred? Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate that it being moved to another location does detract from the history and tradition of the whole event, it's just that after reading the headline I feared it might end up somewhere miles away in the provinces, at least that won't be the case.

Johnny Groove 03-23-2010 12:14 AM

Fuck the environmentalists. Expanding where it currently is would be less damaging than constructing a new complex.

l_mac 03-23-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjengster (Post 9740718)
If the tournament itself is named after a person, not a place, then couldn't it still be Roland Garros at another venue? I mean, I suppose the current venue is called RG, but couldn't the name be transferred? Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate that it being moved to another location does detract from the history and tradition of the whole event, it's just that after reading the headline I feared it might end up somewhere miles away in the provinces, at least that won't be the case.

Like RG II, Electric Bugaloo?

Yes, yes. I suppose that might keep the history intact.

elessar 03-23-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_mac (Post 9740716)
You will be sorry when some young Frenchie wins the Euro-Slam! @ Disneyland Paris Open.

That has a great ring to it, Gasquet would be a worthy winner of such a tournament :yeah:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjengster (Post 9740718)

They're currently looking at 4 different locations:

Marne-la-Vallée, east of Paris near Disneyland, it's okayish transportswise but awful place otherwise
Versailles, west of Paris much nicer for tourists (and most importantly me)
Evry-Bondoufle, in the south :spit: Fuck all to do there
Gonesse, in the north of Paris, can't get much more glamourous than that :worship:

Frankly, other than Versailles they're pretty much all dreadful places. Apparently they're inching towards it as it's much more in keeping with the image of the tourney.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Groove Dude (Post 9740721)
Fuck the environmentalists. Expanding where it currently is would be less damaging than constructing a new complex.

The only good thing is that it would cost about 3 times as much to move to another location than to expand the current one :unsure:

Sjengster 03-23-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_mac (Post 9740723)
Like RG II, Electric Bugaloo?

Yes, yes. I suppose that might keep the history intact.

I never knew you were such a fan of the breakdancing genre Linda, but I can see definite opportunities for a sequel tagline to advertise the new venue. "They took away his court and his stadium.... but they couldn't take his spirit." With a suitably Spartan image of Nadal accompanying this brilliant slogan for maximum effect.