Mens Tennis Forums banner

James Duckworth Cheering Thread

106K views 948 replies 57 participants last post by  Kateoz 
#1 ·
He is currently playing the 15th Sarawak Chief Minister's Cup, in Malaysia. After qualifying in two pretty easy straight set matches. He is now played three matches and is through to the quarter final's in straight sets. He will next play America's Campbell Johnson.

Duckworth played in Thailand last week where he made the main draw by qualifying then made it to the third round, he also ended up winning the doubles title with Benjamin Mitchell, who did the double last week winning the singles and the doubles. These are some of his stats.

Birth Date - 21/01/1992
Birth Place - Sydney, NSW
Residence - Sydney, NSW
Nationality - Australian
Plays - Right Hand (Double Handed Backhand)
Favourite Surface - Grass
Coach - Ben Pyne
Current Ranking - 169
Career High - 17

He is also currently ranked 1395 in the men's rankings at the moment.

Good Luck to James in Malaysia.

See less See more
#3 ·
There is something odd about this guy, he has been around for so long yet he is still playing juniors. I remember he played in the Australian Open junior tournament back when Brydan Klein won it, which was like 4 years ago.

My guess would be that he realises that he can't make a huge impact on the senior scene at the moment and is going to try and use his junior results to gain WCs and assistance into senior tournaments.

#4 ·
Maybe that is his plan. Being born in January is great for your final year of juniors as you're older than virtually everyone else. I mean he's 9 months older than Tomic but they both have the same date they have to finish juniors (Dec 31 this year).

#5 ·
James has just made the final, with a win over an American wildcard 4-6 6-1 6-1. He will meet fellow Australia Andrew Whittington in the final, amazingly they are both qualifiers. Good Luck to the both of them. Would be great to see a win from either won but im not sure but i reckon the winner will be top 100 on monday.

#7 ·
Duckworth d. Whittington 6-3 6-2. Should get his ranking into the top 60, would be smart of him to play in the G1 next week in the Phillipines to ensure he gets his ranking high enough to play in all the junior grand slams this year.

Suprising that our juniors do so well in these so called high level tournaments.

#9 ·
At the moment James is playing in Bundaberg, a Australian future tournament on clay. James is through to the second round after defeating Kris Balakrishnan who is the sixth seed 6-2 6-2. Very impresive win for him.

#11 ·
Duckworth lost in the final of the G1 junior event to local countrymen Jason Kubler 6-7 7-6 6-4. Now Duckworth is playing the Roland Garros juniors he won first round 7-6 6-7 6-2 he had a few match points in the second set tie break, he also got 17 aces must have an ok serve never seen him play but good luck in the second round hope he can win.

#12 ·
James is currently down 2-3 0-15 serving in the second set after winning the first set 7-6, also can someone answer this has anyone watched Duckworth in a tournament or anything because he has got a serve, i saw the score at 5-5 he had 2 aces then ended up with 8 for the first set he got 6 aces in a game and a tie break thats not bad. Now down 2-4 15-0. Good Luck James.

#13 ·
Duckie got the upper hand in the 3rd, running away for a 6-2 last set win after a huge struggle against the No. 12 seed. Have watched James progress through the years, was at Shore School in North Sydney(just like Jonesie) and has developed a decent serve and an impressive game from the back of the court. Did some damage in the Oz WC play-off last year, beating Klein. Hope he goes one better than Jonesie at RG

#14 ·
Yeah well done Duckworth, ended up with 12 aces. Good luck in the third round of RG Juniors. Then good luck if you play any where before you go to play Wimbledon Juniors.

#15 ·
James is through to the QF's after beating a player ranked about 500 in the mens, he won 7-5 6-1. He will next play home town boy Gina Mina good luck James.

#17 ·
Duckworth played Mina earlier this year at the Aus Open juniors in the QF stage and lost 6-2 6-4, hopefully he can do better on the clay, good luck to him.

#18 ·
Yes he is playing very well. Probably the form player left in the draw. I know it is a long way off but if James can actually win RG he would become the world number 1 junior, overtaking Jason Kubler and we would have the number 1 and 2 junior players in the world.

Mina is probably the biggest threat to him, not saying he will win but I think he'll put up a good fight.

#25 ·
Tough 1st round in the Junior for Duckie, Uchiyama already has a Futures title to his name. The win in 3 sets over Uchiyama is testament to James fighting qualities. Good luck in the next round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.