MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Suicide Tennis! (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460)
-   -   Suicide Tennis - Suggestions For 2010 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=155280)

natashha 12-18-2009 10:21 AM

Suicide Tennis - Suggestions For 2010

If there's something you'd like changed in the game,
this is the thread to post,
and now's the time because major changes aren't likely to happen mid-season.
Fellow Suicide Players,
feel free to leave your comments.

natashha 12-18-2009 11:21 AM

Re: Suicide Tennis - Suggestions For 2010

Here's my opinion on the two most discussed rules:

deadline - should stay as it is, the start of the first match. It's simpler for the managers to know the late picks and it enables complete updates once the play starts, so stats could be calculated and so.

Sunday start - I don't have a strong opinion about this, it could be tricky if lot of players forgot to pick, I guess I'll vote to keep it always Monday start

Now, about the point distribution,
it used to be http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...60&postcount=3.

The first thing:
Quote:

250 Category

Winning pick on Day 1: 5
Winning pick on Day 2: 20
Winning pick on Day 3: 33
Winning pick on Day 4: 45

Winning pick on Day 5: 90
Winning pick on Day 6: 150
Winning pick on Day 7: 250
Quote:

500 Category

Winning pick on Day 1: 5
Winning pick on Day 2: 45
Winning pick on Day 3: 68
Winning pick on Day 4: 90

Winning pick on Day 5: 180
Winning pick on Day 6: 300
Winning pick on Day 7: 500
you get 1 point less for winning on Day 4 compared to Day 3, this has to be changed.

The second thing is about Grand Slams.
Wimbledon has its own distribution cause it's shorter due to Middle Sunday, only 10 days of play.
The rest of GS were 12 days events.
For AO and RG schedule of play that's natural, but USO has 13 days of play, so it needed to be reduced and that's why all QF were made one day to make it fit. I suggest USO 2010 be 13 day event and like Wimbledon has its own point distribution. (Otherwise it's just easier to win than RG and AO cause 4 QF = 1 Day does make difference.)

Thirdly, how about giving 1 point to the players out on Day 1?
It would be a way to break ties, it wouldn't affect the rankings more that that considering only limited number of tournaments count. And it would help me a lot calculating the rankings, it would make clear how many tournaments one has played.

I'll wait for the comments of fellow Suicide players, and only after redo the distributions. (They'll change certainly because of the issue number one.)

Ivanatis 12-18-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natashha (Post 9418739)
Thirdly, how about giving 1 point to the players out on Day 1?
It would be a way to break ties, it wouldn't affect the rankings more that that considering only limited number of tournaments count. And it would help me a lot calculating the rankings, it would make clear how many tournaments one has played.

that's the crucial point, so be it

1st match of the day should always be deadline and if there's Sunday matches, I wouldn't mind starting on Sunday, although I already know I'm gonna forget a lot of those :lol:, maybe the one who runs the event should be allowed to decide

Tulipe 12-18-2009 05:32 PM

I'd leave the Monday start, because on Sunday, there are always just a few matches, plus it means you'd have to start the thread on Friday already, that could be a problem for some managers...

Puschkin 12-18-2009 05:53 PM

Monday start is fine!
Deadline should stay as it is!
For the point distribution, I have no particular views.

Björki 12-18-2009 06:22 PM

No Sunday starts
Deadline should stay

poiree 12-18-2009 09:19 PM

I think the deadline should stay.
No Sunday starts.
I like the idea of giving 1 point to players out on day 1. Don't know about the other issues in point distribution

buddyholly 12-18-2009 09:27 PM

Whatever the good people who run these things for us think best.
A comment on Sunday starts though, sometimes they are quallies and only two main draw matches - a kind of big hurdle for day 1. I would be happy with Monday. that way nobody will lose out by forgetting. And judging by how few people ever get to the final, it seems a difficult enough task just starting on Mondays.

jcreback 12-19-2009 01:04 AM

I agree with 0 sunday starts and deadline time.

Points I do not mind either way.

bandtree 12-19-2009 02:00 AM

I will agree with the apparent consensus on the first two points: Keep Monday start and current deadline. I like the 1-point for losing on day 1, but I would say that they only get that point if they make a pick. If they commit but don't make a pick, then no points.

I have no real opinions on points distribution either.

Ivanatis 12-19-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandtree (Post 9420901)
I will agree with the apparent consensus on the first two points: Keep Monday start and current deadline. I like the 1-point for losing on day 1, but I would say that they only get that point if they make a pick. If they commit but don't make a pick, then no points.

I have no real opinions on points distribution either.

sounds good. is there any sense behind commiting anyway? I mean this posting "in":confused:

Snowwy 12-19-2009 12:30 PM

Should be a Monday start, look back at what use to happen with Sunday starts

rvugt 12-19-2009 01:43 PM

Agreed on the deadline and the sunday start, and no problem for giving 1 point for R1 losers. Only stop committing before the tournament starts. Only double work, no use for managers!

Edit: And how about the first tournaments. Which tournaments will be played, maybe an early poll should be opened already so that we have a clear view. Some people want to play other games in the same tournament with early commitments, like TT. In this case it is nice to know on beforehand which tournament will be played!

natashha 12-19-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandtree (Post 9420901)

Okay, picking for day 1 would be commitment, we'll delete that IN rule from the first post of the threads.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvugt (Post 9421792)
Edit: And how about the first tournaments. Which tournaments will be played, maybe an early poll should be opened already so that we have a clear view. Some people want to play other games in the same tournament with early commitments, like TT. In this case it is nice to know on beforehand which tournament will be played!

We can open them right away for the weeks before AO. But they usually stay open until Friday before the tournament start or so. I don't play TT, how much earlier do you need them to close? That's no problem at all.

rvugt 12-19-2009 11:07 PM

Well, TT first deadline is the second sunday before the tournament. So not the day before, but the week before that. So if you could move it 1 week back to the Saturday before, that would be nice!