MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=155154)

Lopez 12-11-2009 08:58 AM

The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.

Clydey 12-11-2009 02:30 PM

Re: The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopez (Post 9400844)
Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.

Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck 10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Action Jackson 12-11-2009 02:36 PM

UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.

Clydey 12-11-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 9401266)
UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.

Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.

Action Jackson 12-11-2009 02:46 PM

Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.

Clydey 12-11-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 9401304)
Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.

Got a few of my boxing mates into it now. They initially had a some reservations about the ground game, but they've grown to appreciate it.

Action Jackson 12-11-2009 03:06 PM

Lot of my friends are doing this now, interesting some come from boxing grounds and struggle with grappling and vice versa.

JMG 12-11-2009 04:10 PM

Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year. :help:

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.

Clydey 12-11-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMG (Post 9401570)
Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year. :help:

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.

I'm sure there are problems. There are many misconceptions about the sport of MMA. Both logically and statistically, it is safer than boxing. There are many different ways to win an MMA match. The goal in boxing, however, is to pound your opponent to the head and body with 16 ounce gloves, which actually cause a fighter to take more sustained damage.

I think there are a few reasons for the misconceptions. Firstly, UFC bouts take place in a cage. Without having seen an MMA fight, that sounds brutal to the uninitiated. In reality, it's no more brutal than a fight taking place in a boxing ring. Secondly, there's still a stigma attached as a result of the early, no-holds-barred days of the UFC. Now, that was vicious. The sport is nothing like it was then.

Lopez 12-11-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydey (Post 9401242)
Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck 10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)

Clydey 12-11-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopez (Post 9402179)
Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)

Yep, I don't like the fighters who are content to just try and strike from inside their opponent's guard, or "lay and pray" as it's called. That's not fun to watch. I much prefer an aggressive ground game. I don't mind if a fighter keep trying to get an opponent down, so long as their intention is to finish the fight. Demian Maia is a good example of a fighter who is extremely aggressive with his submissions when he gets down there. He throws up one submission after another.

I also appreciate some of the top strikers. Silva and Machida are good examples of that. Machida is so economical, but extremely accurate. And Anderson Silva is just a phenom on his feet. It was almost embarrassin how easily he put away Forrest Griffin.

Bibberz 12-11-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydey (Post 9401289)
Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.

Definitely. Basically any kid growing up in America who likes boxing also has some interest in MMA, but there are a TON of kids who like MMA and only MMA.

Speaking of superfights--I'm coming, Clydey. And I'm bringing the thunder.

Clydey 12-11-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibberz (Post 9402641)
Definitely. Basically any kid growing up in America who likes boxing also has some interest in MMA, but there are a TON of kids who like MMA and only MMA.

Speaking of superfights--I'm coming, Clydey. And I'm bringing the thunder.

You vill lose.

Clydey 12-13-2009 05:04 AM

Two down, one to go. Great performances from Florian and Mir. Need Sanchez to upset Penn for a 60 payout.

Clydey 12-13-2009 05:46 AM

It was a long shot. BJ was far too good for Sanchez.