MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gamblers Lounge (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=392)
-   -   Betfair tennis: bet on 2 players at the same time? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=153273)

Ace2008 10-24-2009 05:03 PM

Betfair tennis: bet on 2 players at the same time?

Hi!
I use betfair and there is something that I don't understand...
Is it possible to bet in a match (for exemple Janko vs Ilia) on both players? Like I put 2$ on Ilian , and 2 $ on janko?
Because it seems possible... But if that happened, I would be always winning something so it's weird...
thankx

bad gambler 10-25-2009 05:02 AM

Re: Betfair tennis: bet on 2 players at the same time?

Not sure what you mean

Of course you can "back" both players and do so as many times as you like during a match. But to ensure you win on either result it would depend on the odds you get for both players (i.e. you would have to back them above $2+ less bf commission) in order to win no matter what outcome

Ace2008 10-25-2009 01:41 PM

Yes, but for exemple
On betfair, you can choose your odds.

So for exemple, I can choose for exemple in "your odds" 3 (for Tipsa to win) and put 2$ (it mean that my profit will be 4$) and I choose in "your odds" 5 (for Youzhny to win) and put 2 $ which means that if he wins, I will win 8 $.

Even though I lose my other bet, I always win something (and a lot)

KaiserT 10-25-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2008 (Post 9245695)
Yes, but for exemple

So for exemple, I can choose for exemple in "your odds" 3 (for Tipsa to win) and put 2$ (it mean that my profit will be 4$) and I choose in "your odds" 5 (for Youzhny to win) and put 2 $ which means that if he wins, I will win 8 $.

:lol:

Just because you can 'choose' your odds doesnt mean that somebody else will 'choose' to take your bet.

its.like.that 10-28-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YasmineBleeth (Post 9244680)
For simple example both players would have to have odds at least @2.00 so you don't lose. But even if you somehow get that odds, the 5% commission that Betfair takes on your net winnings will screw your nice plan. :wavey:

If i'm wrong please explain it to me, i really need some free cash these days :p

Betfair takes its commission, of 5% or lower, on your NET winnings in a market, not your gross winnings from a particular option.

Ie. you back 2 players at 2.10 for 100 euros each, your net profit is 10 euros, and your commission will be 0.5 euros (or lower).

its.like.that 10-28-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2008 (Post 9244094)
Hi!
I use betfair and there is something that I don't understand...
Is it possible to bet in a match (for exemple Janko vs Ilia) on both players? Like I put 2$ on Ilian , and 2 $ on janko?
Because it seems possible... But if that happened, I would be always winning something so it's weird...
thankx

Yes, it is possible to back both players and make a risk free profit. When looking at a market on betfair, if the backing % (the % number on the "back" side of the market) is below 100%, then this can be done (for a certain amount of money). Conversely, when the laying % is above 100%, this also means that there is risk free profit to be made.

Alternatively, you can create your own "book" of above 100% by using different bookies/exchanges, by placing bets/having bets matched at different times due to price fluctuations - which is the main aim of most live bettors.

Most people understand that backing each player in a match at 2.10 can result in a risk free profit, whilst they do not realise that backing one player in a match at 3.10 and the other at 1.60 is more or less the same thing.

The easiest way to try and calculate whether it is possible to make a risk free profit in your head, is to take the (decimal) odds of each player, subtract 1 (so that you are left with net odds), and multiply the two together.

If the number is higher than 1, there is free profit to be made.
If the number is equal to 1, you shall neither win nor lose money (be wary of commissions).
If the number is lower than 1, you will be taking on some form of risk.

The following is a brief list of "par" odds. If you can get better than this in the same market, by all means take it:

2.00-2.00
1.90-2.11 (approx)
1.80-2.25
1.70-2.42(approx)
1.60-2.67(approx)
1.50-3.00
1.40-3.50
1.30-4.33(approx)
1.25-5.00
1.20-6.00
1.15-7.66(approx)
1.10-11
1.05-21
1.01-101

Betfair operates by taking commission on a percentage of your net winnings after the event, whilst most bookies effectively take their commission out by giving you lower odds to being with. You will notice that bookies will never (deliberately) offer the above listed odds pairings.

alansk 10-28-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2008 (Post 9245695)
Yes, but for exemple

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserT (Post 9246612)
:lol:

Just because you can 'choose' your odds doesnt mean that somebody else will 'choose' to take your bet.

:rolls: funny that ace chooses odds of 3 for tipsa and 5 for youzhny. why not 1000 for both?! easy money

Julio 10-28-2009 09:25 AM

Thread of the year imo.