MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Alex Corretja (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Alex shows up in Montreal09! (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=152460)

RogiFan88 10-07-2009 08:06 PM

Alex shows up in Montreal09!

:)
Can you believe it? Guess who I saw in Montreal09? :woohoo:

TMS Montreal09

Sat 8aug

Late in the afternoon, my sis spied Andy Murray... but more importantly, someone we were not expecting to ever see in Canada – Alex Corretja! My chance to meet him after a failed attempt in Madrid 2002 during his practice session with Robredo. Around 6.00pm, someone was practising on CCt but not sure who although I did spy Dudu, Javier Duarte, Corretja’s old coach... muy interesante!

Sun 9aug

Checked the practice schedule and headed for Ct 4 but saw Murray and Corretja on the cart as we shouted out “Alex!” to his surprise.

After a quick lunch, went back to Muzza’s practice on Ct 4. Waiting at the entrance after the practice, we called out “Alex!” and he saw us! He came towards us but then went to the other end to some other fans as Muzza came straight to me... I got away to get to Alex but without success! I would try again tomorrow as I was determined to meet the legendary Corretja!

After Ferru was signing autographs for the Griffe des pros, we wandered towards the entrance where the carts were and looked up and spied Corretja again – as usual, we shouted out “ALEX!” as he waved to us!!

Later on, we left to wander around and again saw Corretja leave as we cried “Alex!” and he waved yet again, a little amused and puzzled...

Mon 10aug Round 1 matches

Arrived after 1pm, checked practice. Alex went by and we called out his name again! Went straight to Muzza’s 1.30pm prac. My sis went back to Fena’s practice to take pix while I staked out front and centre for Alex (no, not Muzza). I boldly greeted Alex during the practice then waited impatiently for the end to accost, oops... approach him! Finally, I caught his attention and chatted with Alex en castellano, trying to flatter him by telling him how long it had been since I had wanted to meet him (since Madrid02) – incredulous, he said en serio? I replied, of course, mentioning that he is the best-looking of all the Spanish players... of course, Alex had to oblige us w a photo of him and one w me, for evidence. Told him we went to Barcelona and Sant Cugat... where, as he said, he got married! He apologized in a joking way, that he hadn’t shaved that morning... so another, unexpected, mission accomplished! :yippee:

Tue 11aug Round 1/2 matches

After our lunch, we stayed for the Murray/Chardy match until the just before the final game – Muzza won 64 62 around 2.40pm. Spied Alex in Muzza’s box watching the match.

Good decision to leave before the end of the match because immediately afterwards, the heavens opened up and the T-storms lashed down on the poor unsuspecting fans!
;)

For me, the big surprise of the Montreal09 tournament was the unexpected appearance of former No. 2 and two-time RG finalist, Alex Corretja, who came as part of Murray’s ever-growing team, and not just for the clay season, it seems. After many years and having given up any hope, I was able to meet and chat with Alex for the first time – he was charming and humorous as always, and ever the gentleman, posing for two photos! Gracies, Alex! Now I can die happy...
:cool:

...so does that mean I don't have to go to Barcelona to see him? :lol: