MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   New racket help: Wilson or Babolat (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=150778)

gstuff 09-06-2009 05:57 PM

New racket help: Wilson or Babolat

Hi everyone, i'm looking to buy a new racket.
I'm 15 and started playing tennis seriously about a year ago and have completely fallen in love with the game! I'm more of a baseline player, with reasonably strong groundstrokes! at the moment my racket is an inexpensive prince with a 107'' head and it weighs 300g, i would like to upgrade! I have had a go with the babolat aeropro drive cortex and i liked this racket, however i have not always heard great things about babolats and so i am also considering the wilson k factor kobra team FX and the k factor kobra tour, which i understand to be wilsons answer to the babolat apdc. Just looking for general advice and opinions from people who have played with these rackets. Also what are the main differences between kobra tour and kobra team fx, and which one would people reccomend more?
Thanks very much

jazar 09-06-2009 07:06 PM

Re: New racket help: Wilson or Babolat

babolat are now pretty much the top selling brand in the world, with the apdc being the second best selling frame. wilson basically copied the apdc with their kobra line. the kobra team fx is their equivalent; compared to the apdc the sweetspot is a little more generous and its a little more comfortable. personally i prefer it to the apdc. the kobra tour is a heavier and more control oriented frame and a little harder to use. they all suit baseliners who hit with a fair amount of topspin

gstuff 09-06-2009 07:28 PM

So, am i right in thinking that the apdc and team fx, would be more suited to the less advanced player, whereas the kobra tour is more of a players frame? also why do babolats get quite a lot of bad press, what is wrong with them? Are head rackets good, i've never really played with one, but i've heard good things about them, which, if any, head racket would you reccomend for me?

mojoo999 09-07-2009 06:07 AM

I keep it Wilson.

jazar 09-07-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstuff (Post 9069217)
So, am i right in thinking that the apdc and team fx, would be more suited to the less advanced player, whereas the kobra tour is more of a players frame? also why do babolats get quite a lot of bad press, what is wrong with them? Are head rackets good, i've never really played with one, but i've heard good things about them, which, if any, head racket would you reccomend for me?

yes, the kobra tour is a more advanced players frame.

i dont know what you've been reading about babolat, but as far as i'm aware they havent been receiving any bad press of late (if they had, i would know as i work in the racket industry). as i said before, they are pretty much the number one brand in the world right now for rackets and while their rackets are not really to my personal taste i have rarely heard a bad word about them in the three years i've been in the industry and when people have spoken ill of them its simply because they are poorly informed.

with regards to head the most similar racket would be the microgel extreme

JTennis19 10-07-2009 11:27 PM

You should try both rackets out and see what feels best for you. Both are great brands. I personally play with Babolat, like the feel of it.

coolduder 10-18-2009 06:15 PM

I'd go with Babolat, thats what I currently use, the APDC. I've used some of the Wilson racquets such as the K90, K88, and K95 and thought they were alright, I preferred the K95 out of the Wilson racquets. If I had to choose a Wilson I'd go with the Kobra because thats similar to the APDC but overall Id stay with Babolat.

kengyin 11-15-2009 04:16 AM

definitely go with wilson, because federer uses one