MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Top Spin Or Not ? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=149690)

Lebeuf 08-20-2009 08:52 AM

Top Spin Or Not ?

I guess i'm beginner playing since last summer but still capable of playing any sport at a reasonable level , i'm a fast learner with I always wondered why I people say we should MOSTLY play with top spin.Is hitting flat really that bad ? Also do you top spin with your wrist or just following with your body upward in your swing?I feel im capable of top spin but nobody's there so i'm never really sure anyway.Im the kind of players who try to hit the lign even though im not an advanced player so I guess thats a bad strategy but I just love to hit a clean winner and hitting flat seems to help me doing that , does top spin is good for attack ?

Bernard Black 08-20-2009 10:40 AM

Re: Top Spin Or Not ?

Top spin is useful for rallying under pressure and finding angles you can't find with a flat shot. It's not the answer to everything in tennis though. If you have good, flat shots already then you can become a very good player with just those.

As for producing top spin, there are several coaches on here who can probably give you better advice than I but I'll just say that your swing is very similar to that when you hit a flat shot except you aim to brush up the back of the ball rather than hitting through it. It will take a lot of practice and you'll end up skying a few balls at first. Just remember to start off slow, and then once you get the technique start adding direction. Once you have the direction then you can start adding power.

Good luck :)

GlennMirnyi 08-20-2009 02:10 PM

It's simple: without topspin, you can't hit with any real power. The ball will just rocket off the court.

adee-gee 08-20-2009 03:43 PM

95% topspin is the way to go, and when you're in a position to go for a winner then flatten out the shot.

Bernard Black 08-24-2009 04:35 PM

I took it that Lebeuf was referring to using a heavy topspin strategy. It's simple physics that you have to hit a low ball with a degree of topspin to get any power. If you start trying to hit every ball with topspin though you become very one-dimensional - see 90% of the current junior players.

Just my two cents anyway. Always good to have variety in your arsenal, and I disagree that 95% topspin is the way for any aspiring player to go, but hey, it helps adee-gee to kick ass so who am I to argue ;)

Sean Light 08-26-2009 12:43 AM

I like to switch it up. Unpredictability for the win! :)

Heners 08-29-2009 11:41 PM

Where top spin is needed you should need it + most baseline rallys.