MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Wilson Triad 4.0 Replacement (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=148693)

phuturistic 08-03-2009 11:41 AM

Wilson Triad 4.0 Replacement

I am very new to the game of tennis. After having a go on several rackets, I love the feel of the old Wilson Triad 4.0 but it is no longer on sale. Does anyone has a clue which Babolat or Wilson in the K-factor family has the closest feel to the Triad 4.0? Thanks!

jazar 08-03-2009 06:33 PM

Re: Wilson Triad 4.0 Replacement

there were 2 versions of the triad 4.0, a 100 sq inch midplus and a 110 sq inch oversize, but i think the oversize was the more common. in which case there are 2 wilsons which are similar; the k4 fx, which has a 107 sq inch head but no triad and the k3 fx, which has a 115 sq inch head and still has triad. due to the fact that it has triad the k3 fx is more likely to have a similar feel. as far as babolat are concerned, their most similar frame is the drive z 110

phuturistic 08-03-2009 11:24 PM

Thanks jazar for your advice. String-wise, what would you suggest? Something for all-round.

jazar 08-04-2009 06:45 AM

synthetic guts are the best all round string. examples are prince syn gut duraflex, gamma wearguard, babolat conquest, pacific powerline

phuturistic 08-09-2009 03:24 AM

Unfortunately, the K3FX isnt available yet. Only K3 and K4FX. Would I be better off to get K4FX or the K3 would do just fine? How does the FX technology affect the racket? 1 more thing: what do you think of the triad xtra sweetspot rackets line? THANKS! :)

jazar 08-09-2009 07:43 AM

both the k3 and k3 fx (when it is available) have triad in, so they will have a more familiar feel, but the are also a larger headsize and therefore a little less control oriented. the k4 doesnt have the triad and is a very stiff racket so will have a completely different feel, though it is closer in headsize. fx technology gives more stability in the throat

phuturistic 08-09-2009 02:48 PM

Anyway, I found Babolat Drive Z 110 today and it is around 20-30 quid cheaper than the F3 non FX. Will the babolat be much stiffer than the F3? I tried the F4 FX and I dont really like the feel of it. Right now, I am thinking of getting the babolat purely due to the lower price tag. Unfortunately, theres no demo for the babolat. Do you think I should get the babolat instead? Decision.. Decision..

Thanks

jazar 08-09-2009 05:29 PM

in terms of flex the wilson k3 will be much lower, as the triad technology significantly lowers the flex in the throat. however, the triad system and the cortex system in the babolat racket effectively do the same thing, so the feel shouldnt be too dissimilar

phuturistic 08-10-2009 11:08 AM

I popped in to the shop earlier and found that K61Team is on offer (30quid cheaper than the babolat drive z 110). Again, there's no demo for the racket. Do you think 95sq inch head will be a problem for a beginner like me? Weight wise, it doesnt differ much, so is the stiffness, altho in fact, it is slightly more flex. Will the babolat stiffness of 66 with the cortex system versus the wilson k61team stiffness of 59 would be the similar? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks jazar! :) Feel free for anyone to advice me. Thanks!

jazar 08-10-2009 09:32 PM

the k61 team will feel completely different to the drive z110. it is a racket for intermediate to advanced players. my advice to you is to buy the racket which will suit you more and be more beneficial rather than trying to save some money by choosing a racket that is inappropriate for your level of play