MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   plz help me choose my first racket (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=148423)

philippe 07-29-2009 07:15 PM

plz help me choose my first racket

hey,

I'm completely new to the sport and I'm hoping someone here can help me choose a right racket and if necessary strings.

I'm 22, I have been playing table tennis in competition for 9 years and I'm going to continue playing and coaching in the sport. I know it's hard to combine the two sports, but recently I played a game of tennis and I was immedeately sold (especially the first serve). So I'm going to play tennis at least once a week, and if I'm having enough fun and improve, maybe after a year I'll play some beginner tournements. I'm stronger then most 22 year old men, but I'm no Nadal.

I have been looking up a lot of information on tennis rackets, but at the moment it's impossible for me to know what my playing style will be. So I have no idea whether my strokes will be long, if I'm a hard hitter, a volleyer...
I only know I like the the motion of jumping and serving fast (for my level;)), that I play a one handed backhand and that I want to play with a lot of topspin like in table tennis. I also don't see the advantage for me to start with a light racket with a huge head, since I have the strength and when/if I improve I'll want a smaller head.

Strings are even harder to choose from. :confused:

I've been thinking of buying a racket that's on sale or going to be discountinued as they're a lot cheaper and I haven't really got a preference at the moment. Though the racket may cost a bit more if it's worth it. So if you know a good racket and strings for me, in a shop where I can buy from in Belgium, please let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for reading,
sorry if it's a bit long,
Philippe.

jazar 07-29-2009 07:56 PM

Re: plz help me choose my first racket

seeing as you have played table tennis for a long time hand-eye coordination is obviously not a problem for you, so as you say, a huge head size would be wrong for you. however, as table tennis shots are, in comparison to tennis shots, quicker and more compact, i think you'd get on a little better with a frame on the lighter side. examples of these are the wilson kzen team, dunlop aerogel 500, babolat drive z lite, head microgel radical team, prince speedport white team, tecnifibre tflash 254

i dont know of any racket shops in belguim, so i'll point you in the direction of tennis warehouse europe. they'll most probably have the best selection.

aurimask 07-29-2009 08:07 PM

I have just bought the Yonex RQiS Tour 2. I am beginner at tennis an choosed this racket mostly on two factors. That head size won't be smaller than 100 inch and it won't be very stiff. What other think about this racket and yonex for beginners in general. Really interesting to know if i made a mistake choosing this model.

philippe 07-29-2009 08:25 PM

thanks a lot jazar :worship:
If you could comment on what strings to get with the racket, I'd appreciate it.

And if someone else has an opininion about my racket and/or strings please don't be hesitant to post:).

jazar 07-30-2009 06:50 AM

there are loads of different string constructions out there. probably the most suited to someone in your situation is a synthetic gut. syn gut strings are the best all round strings. examples of them are pacific powerline, prince synthetic gut duraflex, gamma wearguard, babolat conquest

meaghan 08-07-2009 10:31 AM

I think Head LM Radical MP is a good racket to start with. It has a mid plus size head, is an average weight, that you can customise if you think its too light. Its cheap! Low powered so you can try and play your shots, if youve been playing TT for a long time I can believe you wont need an OS lightweight racket. Prob best value racket out there for the price.

As for strings, Jazar is right, prob go for Prince syn gut to start with, its reasonably cheap and popular, widely available anddecent quality.

After playing for a while you may want to play a poly in a hybrid which will give you less power but more spin. Tension wise, start somewhere in the middle @ 55lbs.

Heners 08-13-2009 10:01 AM

Head or a Dunlop.

Offtopic: Have you bought a racquet yet + what brand ?

philippe 08-13-2009 10:35 AM

thanks maeghan, it seems like a great racket but I'll probably buy the racket at tenniswarehouse-europe, and they don't have that one there.

no Heners I still haven't got a racket, but I'll play with a friend of mine who plays competetive tennis and he'll bring a couple of different rackets for me to test. But at the moment I'm working and studying for my last exam to finally graduate as master, so I haven't found the time yet.