MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Rogers Cup (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1029)
-   -   Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated August 9, 2009) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=146925)

smucav 06-30-2009 03:47 PM

Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated August 9, 2009)
 
Tournament Name: ROGERS CUP
Location: MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA
Dates: AUGUST 10-16, 2009
Prize Money: US $3,000,000 (US $2,430,000)
56 MAIN DRAW/28 QUALIFYING DRAW

SITE: Stade Uniprix
285 Faillon St. West
Montreal, Quebec, H2R-2W1–Canada
SURFACE: Hard court
BALL: Penn Masters Series
PRIZE MONEY: U.S. Dollars–Paid by ATP
WEB SITE: http://www3.rogerscup.com/men/english/home.php


Qualifying draw: Friday, August 7, 9:00 p.m.
Main draw: Friday, August 7, 3:00 p.m.
Doubles draw: Saturday, August 8, 6:00 p.m.


ATP Ranking Points
W: 1000
F: 600
SF: 360
QF: 180
R16: 90
R32: 45 (Seeds 1-8: 0)
R64: 10 (WC: 0)
Q: +25
Q14: 14
Q28: 0

Entry deadline: June 29, 2009
Seeding: August 3, 2009


1 Nadal, Rafael ESP 1
2 Federer, Roger SUI 2
3 Murray, Andy GBR 3
4 Djokovic, Novak SRB 4
5 Del Potro, Juan Martin ARG 5
6 Roddick, Andy USA 6
7 Simon, Gilles FRA 7
8 Verdasco, Fernando ESP 8
9 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried FRA 9
10 Gonzalez, Fernando CHI 10
11 Davydenko, Nikolay RUS 11
OUT Soderling, Robin SWE 12
13 Cilic, Marin CRO 13
14 Monfils, Gael FRA 14
15 Robredo, Tommy ESP 15
OUT Nalbandian, David ARG 16
OUT Blake, James USA 17
18 Wawrinka, Stanislas SUI 18
OUT Gasquet, Richard FRA 19
20 Berdych, Tomas CZE 20
21 Ferrer, David ESP 21
22 Tursunov, Dmitry RUS 22
23 Stepanek, Radek CZE 23
24 Safin, Marat RUS 24
OUT Fish, Mardy USA 25
26 Andreev, Igor RUS 26
27 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 27
28 Hanescu, Victor ROU 28
29 Schuettler, Rainer GER 29
30 Melzer, Jurgen AUT 30
31 Troicki, Viktor SRB 31
32 Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 32
OUT Montanes, Albert ESP 33
34 Haas, Tommy GER 34
35 Kiefer, Nicolas GER 35
36 Karlovic, Ivo CRO 36
OUT Santoro, Fabrice FRA 37
38 Mathieu, Paul-Henri FRA 38
39 Kunitsyn, Igor RUS 39
OUT Ancic, Mario CRO 40
41 Chardy, Jeremy FRA 41
42 Garcia-Lopez, Guillermo ESP 42
OUT Acasuso, Jose ARG 43
44 Youzhny, Mikhail RUS 44
45 (SE) Isner, John USA
46 (Q) Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP
47 (Q) Benneteau, Julien FRA
48 (Q) Levine, Jesse USA
49 (Q) Raonic, Milos CAN
50 (Q) Hernych, Jan CZE
51 (Q) Falla, Alejandro COL
52 (Q) Bogomolov, Alex USA
53 (WC) Dancevic, Frank CAN
54 (WC) Polansky, Peter CAN
55 (WC) Niemeyer, Fred CAN
56 (WC) Agostinelli, Bruno CAN
(LL) Golubev, Andrey KAZ (replaces Soderling)

Alternates
IN Zverev, Mischa GER 45
IN Sela, Dudi ISR 46
IN Querrey, Sam USA 47
OUT Almagro, Nicolas ESP 48
OUT Becker, Benjamin GER 49
OUT Seppi, Andreas ITA 50
OUT Tipsarevic, Janko SRB 51
OUT Nieminen, Jarkko FIN 52
OUT Clement, Arnaud FRA 53
IN Serra, Florent FRA 54
IN Petzschner, Philipp GER 55
IN Hewitt, Lleyton AUS 56
OUT Vassallo Arguello, Martin ARG 57
OUT Beck, Andreas GER 58
OUT Gicquel, Marc FRA 59
OUT Rochus, Christophe BEL 60
OUT Moya, Carlos ESP 61
OUT Gonzalez, Maximo ARG 62
OUT Bolelli, Simone ITA 63
IN Mayer, Leonardo ARG 64
IN Lu, Yen-Hsun TPE 65
1. Fognini, Fabio ITA 66
2. Hernych, Jan CZE 67
OUT Navarro, Ivan ESP 68
3. Monaco, Juan ARG 69

kiwi10is 06-30-2009 06:03 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List (updated June 30, 2009)
 
Ancic already withdrew :-( poor boy... Zverev in

chowdahead25 06-30-2009 06:54 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List (updated June 30, 2009)
 
Janko:(

valexie03 06-30-2009 07:25 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List (updated June 30, 2009)
 
Mario :sad: Gasquet :shrug:

shaggy 07-01-2009 06:59 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List (updated June 30, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi10is (Post 8792153)
Ancic already withdrew :-( poor boy... Zverev in

source, please?

dam0dred 07-06-2009 01:25 AM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
It wouldn't surprise me if Fed was a no-show here. The whole baby thing.

duong 07-06-2009 11:10 AM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
A French tennis news website says in a very affirmative way that Federer has already withdrewn from Montreal :

http://www.welovetennis.fr/rafael-na...les-attendront

Quote:

Alors que Roger Federer a déclaré forfait pour le Masters 1000 Montréal
Before that, they had said yesterday that Federer "should not" take part in Montreal and Cinci as the baby is expected for mid-august :

http://www.welovetennis.fr/wimbledon...st-en-vacances

Today, they are affirmative about Montreal, nothing more about Cinci.

tufani 07-06-2009 10:47 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
duong, any source on this besides WLT?

Mario... :sobbing:

duong 07-07-2009 02:35 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tufani (Post 8820808)
duong, any source on this besides WLT?

No I don't have anything more, but they are very affirmative, at least about the baby arriving in that moment, and also about Montreal (not about Cinci).

This website is not used to giving "rumours" like that.

Or if they do sometimes, they don't use this affirmative tone.

Then I guess they got some information from somebody, either journalist (Swiss press ?) or else.

At least some people know when the baby arrives, and if he/she arrives around the 15th of august, I guess it will not be easy for Federer to be in Northern America in a near time.

But anyway it would be interesting to see what the ATP says about that : if he doesn't come in Montreal at all (even for promotion), he should be suspended for another MS1000 (Madrid next year ?) from what I understood from the rulebook. In that case it would be also interesting to see the organizers' reactions in that tournament where he would be suspended because of that stupid "suspension rule" :lol:

smucav 07-07-2009 03:11 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duong (Post 8822622)
if he doesn't come in Montreal at all (even for promotion), he should be suspended for another MS1000 (Madrid next year ?) from what I understood from the rulebook.

That's not true. Federer is one of four players who qualified for a one event commitment reduction. He can withdraw from Montreal (before the deadline) & receive no penalty except the zero-pointer.

duong 07-07-2009 03:46 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smucav (Post 8822743)
That's not true. Federer is one of four players who qualified for a one event commitment reduction. He can withdraw from Montreal (before the deadline) & receive no penalty except the zero-pointer.

I'm interested in what you say, Smucav, as I've seen already that you had good information from the ATP,

and I'm very confused about these rules.

In the rulebook, the suspension is only mentioned in "VIII the Code" 8.03.D withdrawal Penalties (page 133) :

Quote:

2) ATP World Tour Masters 1000.
Any player withdrawing from the main draw shall be suspended from a subsequent ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event.
This event shall be the event where the player earned the highest point total during the previous 12 months.
Subsequent withdrawals will carry a second suspension from the next event where the player earned his second highest point total.
Additional withdrawals will include further suspensions in the same manner.
Players shall not have the suspension penalty assessed if they complete the requirements for “promotional activities” or the withdrawal complied with the requirements for an on-site withdrawal.
Players may appeal suspension penalties to a Tribunal who will determine whether the penalties are affirmed or set aside (see sections J & K below).

As you see there's no mention here of the "commitment reduction".

And I thought that this "commitment reduction" didn't impact the "withdrawal penalties" and was another level of obligation ... which concerned the "bonus-pool" for the top-30 players ("ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Bonus Pool" 1.07 G).

Because this "commitment reduction for MS1000 events" (mentioned in another chapter 1.08) only concerns the "commitment players" (defined in 1.07 C), which means "year-end top-30 players" (who indeed have a "commitment" defined in 1.07 D" which includes all MS1000 events). And this "commitment reduction for MS 1000 events" is only mentioned in paragraph 1.07G "ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Bonus Pool", and not in the chapter about "withdrawal penalties".

In my eyes, the "withdrawal penalties", which apply to all the players who are accepted in the main draw (see above "any player withdrawing from the main draw"), not only to the top-30 players, are another level of obligation than the "commitment".

That's how I had understood it : the "commitment to MS 1000 events" concerns the top-30 players and the bonus pool ; the "withdrawal penalties" concern all the players and are of something else, another level of obligation.

How much are you sure of your interpretation about that ?
Because if you're right, I guess the rulebook is badly written (they should have at least mentioned this possibility to avoid the suspension in paragraph 8.03 D ... as they mentioned the possibility to avoid them thanks to promotional activities and so on).

Thanks in advance Smucav : the rulebook is really not clear if what you say is true :)

valexie03 07-07-2009 04:46 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smucav (Post 8822743)
That's not true. Federer is one of four players who qualified for a one event commitment reduction. He can withdraw from Montreal (before the deadline) & receive no penalty except the zero-pointer.

How does a player qualify :confused:

Who are the other 3 players :confused:

What is the deadline for a Montreal withdrawal :confused:

I wish he'd play Montreal and skip Cincy instead :devil:

tufani 07-07-2009 07:04 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duong (Post 8822622)
No I don't have anything more, but they are very affirmative, at least about the baby arriving in that moment, and also about Montreal (not about Cinci).

This website is not used to giving "rumours" like that.

Or if they do sometimes, they don't use this affirmative tone.

Then I guess they got some information from somebody, either journalist (Swiss press ?) or else.

At least some people know when the baby arrives, and if he/she arrives around the 15th of august, I guess it will not be easy for Federer to be in Northern America in a near time.

Thanks! But WLT was wrong a couple of times before nevertheless, that's why I asked about other sources. This is so far the only website that is so sure about Federer skipping Montreal. As far as I know, there is no clear information about it in the Swiss press. :shrug: Maybe WLT has it's own sources, I don't know. Or maybe it's just a rumour. It just seems a bit early for this kind of news, even though there is a high probability of this to happen considering all the talks.

smucav 07-07-2009 07:09 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duong (Post 8822878)
How much are you sure of your interpretation about that ?

100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by duong (Post 8822878)
Thanks in advance Smucav : the rulebook is really not clear if what you say is true :)

A lot of players don't read the rulebook carefully or at all, so the ATP provides them w. summaries of rules changes such as these that are easier for the players to read & understand.

This was discussed at length at the player council meetings in the fall of 2008. Previously players could withdraw from 2/9 AMS events w. no penalty (except the zero-pointers). The top four players could only withdraw from one AMS event & had to play both Madrid & Paris to receive their bonuses. With the increased bonus pool in 2009, the rules were changed so that all players must play 8/8 Masters Series events (or play all the ones they got into), but some top players who had been used to only playing 7/9 complained so the compromise was a specific set of factors to allow some of the commitment players to only play 7/8.

Commitment players who qualify for an event reduction can withdraw (on time) from one 1000-level event w. no penalty (except a zero-pointer) & meet their player commitments for the year (providing that they meet the other aspects of the commitment).

pages 11-12

Quote:

D.Commitment
The commitment for the commitment players is, the singles event of all ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments for which he is accepted, the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals (if qualified as a direct acceptance or designated as the alternate) and four (4) ATP World Tour 500 tournaments, one (1) of which must be held following the US Open. For commitment and ranking purposes, the Monte Carlo Masters 1000 will be included in the minimum requirements for the 500 category. 2009 Davis Cup points may be counted as one (1) of four (4) in the ATP World Tour 500 category rankings, however, it shall not count towards the commitment requirement of a commitment player.

2) Players meeting criteria for a one (1) event reduction in their ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment.
a) Must play in seven (7) of the eight (8) mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events.
i) Not playing in one (1) event results in a 50% reduction of bonus.
ii) Not playing in two (2) events renders the player ineligible for the bonus.
b) And must play, if qualified, in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
i) Not playing, if qualified, the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals renders the player ineligible for the bonus.
ii) A player who is otherwise qualified but does not play in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals may receive 80% of earned bonus by appearing at the finals event to do promotional activities, as determined by the ATP.
(Note that this rule is in the commitment/bonus section of the rulebook, not the rankings section. Any direct-acceptance player who withdraws from a required event receives a zero-pointer. This rule has been in place since 2000.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by valexie03 (Post 8823157)
How does a player qualify :confused:
Who are the other 3 players :confused:

Federer, Roddick, Safin, Schuettler

Quote:

What is the deadline for a Montreal withdrawal :confused:
The withdrawal deadline for all ATP tournaments (except Indian Wells/Miami) is Friday at Noon.

duong 07-07-2009 07:12 PM

Re: Montreal Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 5, 2009)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tufani (Post 8823697)
Thanks! But WLT was wrong a couple of times before nevertheless, that's why I asked about other sources. This is so far the only website that is so sure about Federer skipping Montreal. As far as I know, there is no clear information about it in the Swiss press. :shrug: Maybe WLT has it's own sources, I don't know. Or maybe it's just a rumour. It just seems a bit early for this kind of news, even though there is a high probability of this to happen considering all the talks.

I think that the information about the predicted birth date must be known by many people, even if they respect Fed's desire not to say it.

But maybe they go a bit too far about the withdrawal.

Actually you can never be sure about the date of a birth : if the baby is born 2 or 3 weeks before (I hope not), the fact is that Federer might maybe take part.

Anyway there's a press conference in Montreal tomorrow : maybe we will know a little bit more :shrug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.