MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions & Questions (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Live match threads in GM (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145313)

Clydey 06-07-2009 12:59 AM

Live match threads in GM

RE Scoobs:

No one discusses the matches in the tournament forums. Those threads are empty for a reason. Saying that they should be discussed in the tournament forums isn't a reason. You're just making a statement. Why aren't WWW threads and result threads also in the tournament forums if live match discussion should be in there? You are enforcing rules without bothering to even question them.

What exactly is the downside to discussing live matches in the WWW threads, since they exist in GM anyway? A large chunk of the forum goes elsewhere to discuss live matches. Why not fix the problem and allow discussion in GM? Not one person has stated what the downside is.

Johnny Groove 06-07-2009 02:07 AM

Re: Live match threads in GM

I think live match posts allowed in the WWW threads would make perfect sense.

Clydey 06-07-2009 07:18 PM

Scoobs, are you going to respond? You told me to take my concerns here, yet no moderator or admin has responded.

scoobs 06-07-2009 07:36 PM

You may not have noticed but it's been a pretty interesting day and this hasn't registered high on the priority list.

I don't have any further response to what I already said on this last night.

I will however take it to the mods and admins and we will revisit the issue and decide whether it's worth making some changes or leaving it as it is.

Once that's taken place, and it might take a few days, then I or someone else will come back to you on this thread.

Deboogle!. 06-07-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydey (Post 8684772)
Why aren't WWW threads and result threads also in the tournament forums if live match discussion should be in there?

Actually, I think a better solution would be that the WWW threads should be in the tournament forums, not allowing live match discussion in the WWW thread. It'd be extremely difficult to moderate. The GM mods are already busy. There used to be live match discussion threads in all the tourney forums every single day. I'm not really sure why or when this stopped, but these threads require almost constant policing because some people have such little tact and respect for their fellow posters and tennis players. I think to ask the GM mods to take this on would be unfair. I do agree it's a consistency problem, and it is one that I myself have brought up to the other mods. I personally think WWW Threads are completely inappropriate for GM.

Also, a lot of people are watching/following more than one match at a time. a WWW thread is for one specific match, so we'd also have to police people talking about multiple matches at once - which is not a problem in OP threads in the tourney forums but would be a HUGE problem in GM if this were allowed. I'm absolutely against allowing match discussions in GM, considering the fact that there is a whole forum for every single tournament. To alleviate the inconsistency, perhaps WWW threads should be put in the tourney forums too, but allowing in-match discussion in GM in any threads would turn into a total mess in my opinion.

Clydey 06-08-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deboogle!. (Post 8689858)
Actually, I think a better solution would be that the WWW threads should be in the tournament forums, not allowing live match discussion in the WWW thread. It'd be extremely difficult to moderate. The GM mods are already busy. There used to be live match discussion threads in all the tourney forums every single day. I'm not really sure why or when this stopped, but these threads require almost constant policing because some people have such little tact and respect for their fellow posters and tennis players. I think to ask the GM mods to take this on would be unfair. I do agree it's a consistency problem, and it is one that I myself have brought up to the other mods. I personally think WWW Threads are completely inappropriate for GM.

Also, a lot of people are watching/following more than one match at a time. a WWW thread is for one specific match, so we'd also have to police people talking about multiple matches at once - which is not a problem in OP threads in the tourney forums but would be a HUGE problem in GM if this were allowed. I'm absolutely against allowing match discussions in GM, considering the fact that there is a whole forum for every single tournament. To alleviate the inconsistency, perhaps WWW threads should be put in the tourney forums too, but allowing in-match discussion in GM in any threads would turn into a total mess in my opinion.

Every other tennis forum I've been on copes with separate match threads. What on earth makes MTF any different? You guys make out like GM is the busiest forum on the planet. I've moderated forums that are infinitely busier than MTF. It's utter nonsense. If live match discussions aren't allowed in GM, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere. The principle is the same, unless you are moving live match discussion to the tournament forum specifically to keep them quiet. If your intention is to have lively match discussions (as it should be), you're going to have to moderate them. Let's say for argument's sake that match threads in the tournament forum became just as busy as they would be on GM (it's possible since access isn't restricted). What would you do? Ban live match discussions altogether?

This just doesn't wash. Every other tennis forum copes with live match discussions. If a poster gets out of line, delete the post and give an infraction. It's not like the whole forum will be in one thread breaking every rule in the book. That's the whole point of handing out warnings: to stop people from breaking the rules. It's like you guys are trying to decrease the workload, rather than trying to improve the forum. People would stay on MTF instead of buggering off to Tennis Warehouse or some other forum that can be bothered to accommodate live match discussions. If other forums can do it without a problem, so can MTF. Let's not pretend otherwise.

pogotheorist 06-14-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deboogle!. (Post 8689858)
Actually, I think a better solution would be that the WWW threads should be in the tournament forums... There used to be live match discussion threads in all the tourney forums every single day. I'm not really sure why or when this stopped.

I believe it's the random walk of network effects - interest follows the action, and laziness causes people to post in GM unless prevented - so it becomes the hot spot, and tourney forums are flyblown dereliction zones where only gamblers hang out. If MTF were consistent about pushing match-specific threads such as WWW into the tournament forums, they would come to life again.

What's happened now is not deliberate, but it is a shame. There should be live match threads, as Clydey says; but there's little incentive to start them in a place no-one looks. Have to either allow them back in to the humming urban core, or do some city planning to push traffic and vitality out to the suburbs. ;)

scoobs 06-14-2009 06:56 PM

There's still a somewhat vigorous discussion going on among the mods as to what we want to do about this.

jayjay 06-14-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobs (Post 8720090)
There's still a somewhat vigorous discussion going on among the mods as to what we want to do about this.

Sounds enthralling. Can someone take snap shots of various vigorous posts and then upload them, please. Merci Beaucoup.

Re: a point made earlier in the thread. I don't believe people use other tennis forums other than MTF simply because of a lack of GM live match thread. Other reasons may be that you can get a better discussion elsewhere than MTF at times, for various reasons. As well as the fact MTF servers are a disgrace and they could give a fuck about their paying subscribers - something which has been proven time and again.

Clydey 06-16-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobs (Post 8720090)

Wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce it for Wimbledon. A sort of grand opening. It could make for some lively GM discussion.

tangerine_dream 06-16-2009 07:07 PM

Why not do what TW did and create a subforum for live match results on the front page of GM:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

shotgun 06-16-2009 07:16 PM

The people that were complaining about the live match threads in the tournament forums being full of gamblers in the past, either moved to the live match threads in the gamblers lounge, or stopped posting at all in the tournament forums. :rolleyes:

I say just move the live scoring threads from the gamblers lounge back to the tournament forums.

LinkMage 06-17-2009 12:08 AM

Yup, the "OOP & Scores" threads in the tournament forums used to get at least 500 posts per day (usually much more) but they were killed by the mods introducing new rules. :shrug:

Clydey 06-17-2009 09:32 AM

I still don't see why we shouldn't use the WWW threads. GM is the core of the forum, where pretty much every poster goes. It's the most active. We have the WWW threads anyway, so just discuss the matches in there. It's not like the forum would be getting polluted by loads of new match threads, since the WWW thread exist anyway.

Clydey 06-17-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine_dream (Post 8729275)
Why not do what TW did and create a subforum for live match results on the front page of GM:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

This isn't a bad idea as a compromise. TW do that specifically so people can avoid results if they want to, though. We already post match results on GM.

I'm in favour of discussing any given match (before, during, and after) in the WWW threads.