MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Racket for returning player (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=144710)

Roxy1201 05-29-2009 11:54 AM

Racket for returning player

Greetings all. I've recently started to return to tennis after years of no play at all. I got to quite a high level when I was younger, and am now looking for a racket which will take me from sleepy returning player to intermediate/advanced levels.

I have been picking things up quite quickly of late, and now want to buy a good racket. I am 6'0, have a powerful playing style, and play more groundshots than volleys, although I do like to get round the court pretty fast.

A friend of mine recommended a K6 One team Wilson, but since I have been out of the loop totally for years, and have little idea of what that racket is like, I am open to all forms of advice.

Thanks for your help...

jazar 05-30-2009 06:50 AM

Re: Racket for returning player

the wilson k61 team is a pretty nice all court racket. its what would be called a light players racket. it has a relatively small head size, which is good for control, though if you have been out of the loop for a while, so to speak, you may find it a touch small. and its about a mid weight, which makes it nice to swing and generate power. overall, it would probably be a decent racket for you.

there are loads of other rackets out there that are pretty simlar. my advice would be to try a few out and see how it goes. other similar rackets to consider would be:

yonex rqis 1 tour 295g
head microgel radical
dunlop aerogel 300
prince exo3 rebel team

or you could consider some that are around the same weight, just a little more forgiving, such as:

wilson kobra team fx
head microgel instinct
dunlop aerogel 500
babolat aeropro drive cortex

Roxy1201 05-30-2009 11:31 AM

Awesome, thanks for such a well-informed answer to my query!

dlk1992 06-24-2009 11:20 PM

Please forgive me for thread jacking, but I too am a returning player. I'm 6'2, play one handed on the back hand, like to play from the net as well as the baseline. I'm looking at the Prince O3 Red. Jazar, what are your thoughts on this racquet? What is comparable to it?

jazar 06-25-2009 06:45 AM

the o3 red is a good racket, its got a good size sweetspot, so if you've been out of the game for a while it'll be nice and easy to use. other similar rackets would be the head microgel radical team (soon to be replaced by the youtek radical team), which gives more control than the prince; and the wilson k blade team, which again gives more control

dlk1992 06-25-2009 02:41 PM

Thanks Jazar!