MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Oi Oi Oi (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Greg Jones Cheering Thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=143405)

Matchu 05-10-2009 11:00 AM

Greg Jones Cheering Thread

I know there used to be a Greg Jones thread but it recently got deleted because there was no activity in it for a year, so I thought I would remake one. Greg has just won his second futures title in Australia now on the back of a final appearance last week in another future. The most encouraging sign is that it seems Greg is very capable on Clay unlike most of our players.

Hes been grinding at the futures level for a while now but I hope this victory gives him enough confidence to pull enough strong results together to get his ranking high enough to get direct entry into challengers. This guy does actually have quite a bit of talent for anyone whos wondering he has a gigantic serve, only a tiny bit smaller than Sam Groth and can play on all surfaces which he proved in juniors when he lost to all the eventual champions of the junior Grand Slams in 2007. Hes 20 years old so still young enough but really has to keep up with Brydan Klein now to have chance of ATP success.

Matchu 05-11-2009 01:44 AM

Re: Greg Jones Cheering Thread

Moved up to 380 this week which is close to his career high of 359 that he reached last year. Probably only needs 3 or 4 more futures victories and he'll be ranked high enough for challenger entries.

It would be great if he could play challengers every week along with Bernard and Brydan. Does anyone know where he is playing next?

azza 05-11-2009 02:15 AM

Greg Jones is as much as a baby and headcase as Nick Lindahl.

i wish fail upon him but he already is so thats gud.

jmf07 05-11-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azza (Post 8552511)

Being unfair on Lindahl.

eureka 05-11-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azza (Post 8552511)

i wish fail upon him but he already is so thats gud.

This comment is quite uncalled for! :(:confused::( Greg puts in the hard yards and doesn't get everything given to him on a plate like another! :confused:

Matchu 05-12-2009 01:36 PM

Found his next event, he is the 10th alternate on the entry list for a challenger in Uzbekistan next week, so he'll either get seeded in the qualies or just squeeze in for direct entry. So I guess this means Gregs either going to play futures in Europe after next week or play challenger qualies, I think he will play a bit of both. I really hope he can get a spot in the top 250 because I definetly think he is good enough and should be playing challengers every week and playing Grand Slam qualies.

azza 05-14-2009 02:06 AM

lol yer its harsh but its true especially the nick lindahl who really needs to see a shrink

Matchu 05-19-2009 07:05 AM

Greg is back playing in a 15K future this week where he is seeded 6th. The number 1 seed pulled out so Greg shouldn't have too much trouble making it to the semis.

jmf07 05-19-2009 07:52 AM

I will be surprised if he gets past the first round. Unfortunately he drew Jeanpierre who is probably the worst floater Jones could have drawn.

jmf07 05-20-2009 12:26 AM

He lost but was still able to take it to 3 sets which was good. Jeanpierre has reached the third round of the French Open, been ranked as high as 133 and has been in good form of late.

Matchu 05-24-2009 06:42 AM

Looks like Greg is going to be playing an the Italian futures for the next couple of weeks along with John Millman and Andrew Thomas. Heres hoping Greg can gain a couple more points and creep inside the top 300.

jmf07 07-17-2009 03:33 AM

Into the semis of a futures in Great Britain. Has a good chance to win the tournament as number 1 seed. If he can do that it could place him in a position close to cracking the top 300 although he does have to defend a few points soon.

Matchu 07-21-2009 01:58 PM

Well he didnt go any further than the semis of that future in the UK but this week he is playing in a Russian challenger and has advanced to the second round with a straight sets victory. The number three seed was knocked out so Greg faces another unseeded player for a spot in the quarters.

He really need to make quarterfinals here to keep up with the ranking points he gained this time last year. Greg is playing in another Russian challenger next week as well so lets hope he does well in these tournaments where big points are on the line for him.

I still think Greg has the potential to be ranked inside the top 150 for sure he just needs two or three good results on the challenger tour.

jmf07 07-22-2009 12:44 AM

Nice win. These Russian challengers are a good opportunity for him to do well given the weak fields they normally attract. Smart decision to play them.

jmf07 07-22-2009 11:38 PM

Into the quarters after a three set win oner Panfil. Plaus Ledovskikh in the QF which will probably be his toughest match yet.