MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Shoes for a beginner? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=142360)

SkepticJason 04-22-2009 04:18 PM

Shoes for a beginner?

Greetings all. I am a beginning tennis player (in that I have been playing casually for a few years, but am starting lessons within the week), and I wanted to know if there was some general good advice for buying tennis shoes. I searched this particular forum, but found a lot of threads where folks asked very specific questions dealing with such things as the shape of their feet.

What exactly makes a tennis shoe different than any other athletic footwear? I am certain there must be a difference, but have been unable to find it online. Is there such thing as a "beginner's" shoe such as it is with racquets, or is the same kind of support/performance desirable for all levels of play?

Thanks in advance!

jazar 04-22-2009 04:56 PM

Re: Shoes for a beginner?

there is no such thing as a beginners tennis shoe. though from my experience of selling equipment to tennis players, i find that most beginners would go for a more basic shoe.

the differences between a tennis shoe and a normal shoe are that a tennis shoe has more cushoining, lateral support and a non-marking and grippy sole unit.

SkepticJason 04-22-2009 05:14 PM

Thanks for that. It is good to know for a fact that there are no "beginner's" shoes. I couldn't imagine why there would be, but I wanted to make 100% sure. I am currently using a very generic sneaker, but I want something that will provide better support and protection.

I suppose my best bet would be to go to my local sporting goods store and just try some on for feel. I am pleased that it seems that simple.

miura 04-22-2009 06:12 PM

I strongly advice Nike Vapor V or VI. If you try out the Adidas Barricade new at the store, bare in mind that they need a considerable amount of time to loosen up and fit your foot. I find the Vapor a bit more maneuverable and friendly to my foot during long sessions.

Dirty Bert 04-23-2009 04:18 AM

Ditto on the Vapor. I have several in many colors and ALL are great no matter how long I play in them.

SkepticJason 04-24-2009 01:35 AM

Terrific! I haven't had any luck locating a store with a good selection of tennis shoes, but I am going to keep an eye out for the Vapor. I am a little surprised that the big sports retailers have slim pickings, but there is always the option of buying online.

ghostkid12 04-28-2009 08:45 PM

when i first played i used regular shoes but i got more serious and got babolat all court shoes

SkepticJason 04-30-2009 11:00 AM

Kudos to the recommendations for the Vapor. Mine arrived in the mail yesterday, and while I was nervous because I didn't have a chance to try them on first, I had no reason to worry. They fit very well, felt great while playing, and my knees were less tired afterward. Thanks for pointing me to a terrific shoe!

Bernard Black 04-30-2009 11:22 AM

Asics are a great brand for tennis shoes and often reasonably priced.

I'm wearing the Adidas Barricade V at the moment and highly recommend them, they give you great grip and still wearing like new even after several months use. They can be pricey but are an investment in my opinion because of the durability factor.