MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Marat Safin Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dinara Part 2 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=141329)

camilia 01-22-2009 07:18 AM

Dinara Part 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheLikesToDisco (Post 8043188)
Oh Lordie, that writer was rather pleased they came up with the high school metaphor! :lol:

I wonder what else they tried apart from doubles that ended up being the last attempt? :D

vivid imagination ;)

EDIT BY THE PENGUIN: Part 1 of the Dinara Thread can be found here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=4078

KarlyM 01-25-2009 03:26 AM

Re: Dinara!

Dinara beat Alize Cornet 6-2 2-6 7-5. She's in the QF. :woohoo:

Dinara came back from 2 breaks down in the 3rd and at one point Cornet had 2 MP. :eek: I know Dinara is known for coming back from MP down but I really thought she was going to lose. She looked very frustrated and a bit upset. But instead of completely losing it, she got aggressive and fought back. I was running around yelling when she won! :lol:

Dinara will face the winner of Dokic/Kleybanova in the QF. Jankovic lost earlier today, so if Dinara makes it to the SF she could face Bartoli (who beat Jankovic), Petrova or Zvonareva (who are playing as I'm typing this). This looks good for her! :)

Wednesday Addams 01-25-2009 03:39 AM

Dinaraaaaaaa *shakes fist* That was close. I seriously didn't even bother to open the livestream, seeing as she was doing so well in the first set. Ugh. Then she lost her brain for like an hour... 52 UEs :o At least she pulled it together at the last possible moment. Cornet was crying afterward, apparently :tape:

No. 1 ranking next, please!

riff 01-25-2009 03:47 AM

Dinara went crazy for awhile but since she had escaped the same situation before , she managed to use the experience
it was hers to win or loose

PennyThePenguin 01-25-2009 06:50 AM

Safina's harshest critic

Sunday 25 January 2009
By Alix Ramsay
Safina pulls thorugh

If this is Dinara Safina when she is winning, you really would not want to bump into her when she is losing. The world No. 3 took the roundabout route to the Australian Open 2009 quarterfinals, cruising past Alize Cornet for a set, falling apart at the seams for a set, and then clinging on by her fingernails for a set of nerves, tension and missed opportunities to win 6-2 2-6 7-5.

It was not pretty to watch and, by all accounts, it was not pretty to witness at court level either. Even though Safina was into the last eight in Melbourne for the first time in her career, she was not happy. Not happy at all.

"I played really like a junior today," she said, cutting herself no slack whatsoever. "I think it's just lucky that I went through. But really it's sad that I can do these kind of mistakes. Really, it's sad what I did today."

Normally, when a player is wheeled out in front of the world's media, the hacks are looking for a little emotion. Anger is good. Tears are better. We are suckers for a bit of sobbing. But as Safina berated herself time and again – and did it in a very controlled and rational manner – the scribes began to twitch. Come on, Dinara, surely you have to give yourself a little credit for pulling the result out of the fire? Apparently not.

"How many chances I need to have?" Safina said with a shrug. "I'm also lucky that I won first round. The girl, I didn't even have to stay in the court because she was playing against herself. She was shooting 10 balls in the fence, one in the court."

This line of reasoning led to a litany of mistakes, fluffed chances and duff matches that the Russian had played since she arrived at Melbourne Park. According to Safina, all but one of her matches so far have been a disaster, and she is lucky still to be involved in the competition. Even her coach thinks so.

"He's telling me at 5‑4, ‘Hit the ball’," she said. "I telling myself, ‘Hit the ball’, and just arm doesn't go because my mind is just stupid."

By this time, we had all got the general gist of the argument – Safina was practising like a champion but playing like a plum. And she was not pleased about it at all. This, though, should not have come as a surprise.

As the sister of Marat Safin, a man not known for his mental stability, she has all the family characteristics: a thumpingly powerful game, an ability to self-destruct at the drop of a first serve, and a disarmingly open personality. Being like Marat may win her a lot of friends, but it does not make winning major titles any easier.

With this in mind, and after being dumped out of last year's Australian Open in the first round, Safina decided that she needed a major change. She hired a new coach – Zeljko Krajan – she dropped seven kilos in weight and, after losing in the French Open final last year, she employed a full-time fitness trainer in Dejan Vojnovic.

Krajan has tried everything he knows to try and instill a sense of belief and confidence into his charge, and even has her reading the same motivational books that he used when he was playing. So far it has worked like a dream on the practice courts, but it is yet to make an appearance on the match court.

"He said it makes no point for him to sit there and seeing myself playing completely different from what I'm practicing," Safina said, obviously having had a few terse words with Mr Krajan. "Practicing playing aggressive, hitting the balls: from 10 times, 10 I hit exactly where I need to hit aggressive.

"Come to the court and completely like just shadow is playing. Like Dinara is there, but just not me. So he's like, ‘Okay, if you continue playing like this, it's better that I go home’."

For the moment, both Safina and Krajan are safely booked into their hotels for a few more days. That gives them a little more time to try and solve the problem of what lies between the Russian's ears. Safina, though, is not holding out much hope. She thinks it is time to take drastic action.

"Somebody just smacks me so hard in my head that something shakes finally and I put the cables together," she said.

She sounds like Marat, she looks like Marat and, one day, she can win like Marat. Maybe then she might just be happy …

Remy 01-25-2009 07:27 AM

That article made me laugh a little..she does sound so much like Marat :lol: Glad she's through!

Damita 01-25-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyThePossum (Post 8065795)
"Somebody just smacks me so hard in my head that something shakes finally and I put the cables together," she said.

That's what I've been wishing for, for Marat, during the last 3 years, maybe more. :p

Seriously though, this article is a bit alarming. Things were fine last year, except maybe some fatigue at the end of the year. I don't know what's going bad this year but I hope it won't last or she'll get frustrated and might just fail to win a slam and reach the #1 spot, when she was getting closer and closer month after month :(...

Lt.Samantha 01-25-2009 01:15 PM

She is so harsh with herself.. if she is the 3º of the world is because she worked for it and deserve it..C'mon Dina you can do it! ;)

jaana 01-25-2009 02:31 PM

I'm so afraid of Dokic. She's just growing more confident with all those tough matches going her way and the Australian public sosupportive. And I'm tired of watching her cry after every match >:(
Anyway, go Dinara! Try to get it together, please, and play your best!

PennyThePenguin 01-25-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damita (Post 8067178)
That's what I've been wishing for, for Marat, during the last 3 years, maybe more. :p

Seriously though, this article is a bit alarming. Things were fine last year, except maybe some fatigue at the end of the year. I don't know what's going bad this year but I hope it won't last or she'll get frustrated and might just fail to win a slam and reach the #1 spot, when she was getting closer and closer month after month :(...

when I read that quote, it reminded me of the quote in my siggy :angel:

Damita 01-25-2009 09:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFkkxwEfSJs

thanks Gab for the link :)

KarlyM 01-25-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

As the sister of Marat Safin, a man not known for his mental stability, she has all the family characteristics: a thumpingly powerful game, an ability to self-destruct at the drop of a first serve, and a disarmingly open personality. Being like Marat may win her a lot of friends, but it does not make winning major titles any easier.
:lol: When I was watching Dinara's post-match studio interview on ESPN, I was thinking that she sounded like Marat - berating herself, and saying funny things in a serious tone. :lol:

I found the interview on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFkkxwEfSJs

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaana (Post 8068857)
I'm so afraid of Dokic. She's just growing more confident with all those tough matches going her way and the Australian public sosupportive. And I'm tired of watching her cry after every match >:(
Anyway, go Dinara! Try to get it together, please, and play your best!

Maybe Dinara can drag her big brother to her match if he's still there. Marat is popular in Australia and he could be her cheerleader getting some of the crowd behind her. :) But I think there's more of a chance of hell freezing over. :lol:

Curls 01-27-2009 03:34 AM

Davai Dinara!!!!! :banana:

Curls 01-27-2009 10:28 AM

YESSSS!!!! :banana: (I think I might get evicted for the amount of noise I made during that match!!!)

Dinara won, albeit verrrrrry ugly - 6-4 4-6 6-4 :banana:

it was a great match for both girls. Dinara's game fell in a heap on more than one occasion, something I think she won't keep getting away with .... but then again, what would I know :lol:

the crowd were 150% behind Dokic, and poor Dinara must've felt very lonely out there :( ... but she turned on the charm during her interview and did ask for the crowd to be behind her in the next match :yeah: ... oh, she also apologised for defeating an Aussie :lol: something I think Marat did when he defeated Hewitt ... good to see these Safin kids have good manners ;)

Keep it going Dinara :banana:

Damita 01-27-2009 10:34 AM

LOL
thanks Pam :)