MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gilles Simon Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=971)
-   -   2009 Clay season (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=140991)

krn81 04-01-2009 12:26 PM

2009 Clay season

Girls, you wanted a french poster to open it, I am doing it, we have already lot of things to talk about ;)
Miami finished, now the clay season...
First tournaments in 2 weeks, Monte Carlo...
After Madrid and Rome are arriving before the big event of this spring: Roland Garros!!!

Vamos Poussin :)

Eimear O'Mahony 04-01-2009 12:30 PM

Re: 2009 Clay season

Yes good luck to Gilles in the clay court season. Let's hope a change of surface brings a change of luck and an improvement in his game :)

but-it's-ok 04-01-2009 12:34 PM

Thanks Karine for opening this thread;):banana:

I love clay court tennis because it tests players mindset,technical and tactical ability,stamina/fitness to the maximum,a surface made for Gilles because he's a thinker,a fighter. If he can get his best shots to work this could be a very exciting time for Gilles and his fans. Allez Gilles:rocker:

Mint Chip 04-01-2009 12:45 PM

Gillou can go on the clay court season with a bit more confidence which makes me happy.All he needs to do is use a little bit more angle to his advantage on the clay to life easier ;) (and Belief) ALLEZ Gillou :hug:

rtgy 04-01-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krn81 (Post 8365898)
Girls, you wanted a french poster to open it, I am doing it, we have already lot of things to talk about ;)
Miami finished, now the clay season...
First tournaments in 2 weeks, Monte Carlo...
After Madrid and Rome are arriving before the big event of this spring: Roland Garros!!!

Vamos Poussin :)

:lol:...............and what about the boys here:rolls: or is this only for girls around :p

thanx for the thread - very good idea Karine;)

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

krn81 04-01-2009 03:35 PM

Yavor :hug:
I just opened the thread because Isabelle and Patchett (Sorry I forgot your name, Can you tell me again?) asked a French one to do it ;)
Guys are also welcome :hug:

Clay is also my favourite surface, simply because i discovered tennis but watching matches on this surface. I still remember studying for my exams and watching Roland Garros at the same time.
I like Roland Garros and it is my favourite slam, not only because I am French. I like long exchange, not too long also but when the players build their point to win. I am not a big fan of service volley game. For this reason Gillou has all the arms to be good on that surface and that we enjoyed lot to watch his games.
I am also waiting to see him as it will be first time for me to watch a game of him on clay. I discover him lately and last years I was not watching tennis lot as I was busy, travelling and not lot in front of my tv.
In somehow, it could be so nice if they stop Miami today and they begin to play Monte Carlo tomorrow.

Isabelle I will continue your conversation here about the improvements of Gillou ;)
I think he needs a stronger service. And I made the link with Nadal because when Nadal began to be famous, his first Roland Garros, I was not expected him be able to win something else and specially Wimbledon. But he continues to work and get better step by step, he stayed few years only at number 2 place. Lot of players could explode, he did not and in somehow, Gillou could do the same. He will not be permanent top 5 player tomorrow but by continuing to work that what he is doing now, in the next years he can be.

but-it's-ok 04-01-2009 03:40 PM

:wavey:Karine,my name is Di;)

rtgy 04-01-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krn81 (Post 8366435)
Yavor :hug:
I just opened the thread because Isabelle and Patchett (Sorry I forgot your name, Can you tell me again?) asked a French one to do it ;)
Guys are also welcome :hug:

:rocker:

Karine:smooch:

isabelle86 04-01-2009 04:11 PM

Karine, I love your comment about exams and Roland Garros, it was horrible but the priority was tennis. :D. I always had the chance to meet the players during the year and see for free the event in Barcelona in the 4th floor of school in Barcelona. if you go to google earth you will find the RCTBarcelona, site of the event was just in front of my school, Lycee Francηais, only 1 minute walking and you were in the club, just in front - same street was the vip village during the event, great memories, trying to hit with gs champions in their junior days.
Nadal was famous in 2000 when as flag bearer the coaches told the davis cup players before the final that he was better than them. He always had Wimby as a must win tournament and the difference in Spain or France between be a good and a great player is to be able to reach or win finals outside clay. He was a star since the day he turned pro raised in a sporting family.

Gilles is a player who has been climbing consistently through the rankings all those years, I knew he had game when I saw him in Valencia 2006 but the best thing is he has improved so much since the unforgettable weekend and he has being improving consistently, he is perhaps a late bloomer at 23 but I beleive he is the kind of player that now can only get better, he is not going to put a step forward, he has arrived to the top 10 to stay. Sadly Gilles only went finally noticed for some fans when he put at end to the reign of Federer in Toronto. Shots in Tennis, here are my nice and biased marks about my fave Gillou:
• The Serve, 5
• The Return of Serve, 6.5
• The Forehand, 6.5
• The Backhand 8.
• The Forehand Volley 4
• The Backhand Volley 3.5
• The Lob 6.5
• The Dropshot 6
• The Overhead 6
• Movement: 8.5
• Head: 9
IMHO that gives a clear indication which are the areas Gilles needs to improve the most.

krn81 04-01-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patchett (Post 8366454)
:wavey:Karine,my name is Di;)

Hi Di, you probably already gave me your name, but it is like first day at work when you arrived, everyone presents himself and finally you just remember the head ;)
I will remember now ;)

but-it's-ok 04-01-2009 04:54 PM

Not a problem Karine:hug: I have problems remembering names at work even when I've been amongst the same people for ages:lol: Faces are easier indeed-when you can see them;)

krn81 04-01-2009 04:58 PM

Isabelle you were really lucky to have free access to tournament and such nice view. ;)

About Nadal, I need to admit at the beginning he was annoying me with all this vamos at each point, now it is better to watch him, and I prefer him than Federer, specially for this fighting spirit.
For us, the first one who will win a slam will be a hero, it is too long time we are waiting now ;)
When I was young in France, Roland Garros and Davis Cup were the only tournaments showing on tv. My parents did not cable so it was my only chances to watch tennis. I had a off period of watching tennis, during 3 years more or less and I began to watch it again due to Gillou :D
I skip all the part when Federer was the king, and now I think it is more interesting. The top 5 is exceptional but the 5 or even 10 players that follow are also good and can beat the top 5 on a match.

To come back to Gillou, I like your list but you forgot something, the analyze capabilities of Gilles. He is intelligent and as he is not the strongest player, he has still this possibility to pertub the game of the oponent. This capabilities of analyzes are not only for the interview but it helps him also to change things, to have an evolution in his game. Things that Federer does not have. Gillou is a good defender and you can see that Federer has problems with this kind of players, he is not able to win against them since the us open final in fact. He lost after against Gilles, Murray and Nadal.

By the way, is someone know if Gilles is the only player than Federer never beat? (of course, when they played more than one match).
It could be definitely interesting to see a match Federer-Simon on clay.

Apart that, my favourite shoot of Gilles is the backhand along the line :hearts:
when he is doing so well, I will give largely a 10 ;)

isabelle86 04-01-2009 06:02 PM

there are some interesting names from the past, Franco Squillari, Byron Black, Bruguera to name a few, of the current active players he is the only 1. "I defeated him once in Toronto, so it was easier to finish the match. I had no complex when I served in the last game"
Gilles Simon in Shanghai! :)

and as you said he is good reading matches and changing tactics:
Toronto, I realised that Simon forced him into playing this way: many errors, and that he should get all the credit. Simon had the perfect tactics against Roger, and this was shown in 'the second accident' (that was an extremely cute video, makes me smile).
I also admired how Simon tried his normal game against Rafa in the first set and lost badly so he changed up his game, he played Rafa's game and then was aggressive with the short balls, it worked perfectly.

I always cheer for baseliners or counter-punchers which is how I classify Gillou.
I like this kid a ton. He possesses many of the qualities I admire in Rafa.
He is a tireless competitor, very fierce and yet almost never negative. I really like that.
He also seems like a genuinely good human. I like that as well.
Some pro players get caught up in the fame and fortune and the 'party' atmosphere that surrounds the pro tour.
Not Gilles.
I think he has his best tennis ahead of him in the coming months and years.
So very nice to have our player reaching for the top tier!!! We are so very lucky to be fans of Gilles :)

MsTree 04-01-2009 08:47 PM

What a great thread! I'm really looking forward to this clay court season in a way I just haven't before :) I love all your comments on Gillou and I love the rollercoaster ride he takes us on!
The only thing I would like to add is that my favourite Gillou shot is that crackling running forehand down the line and I particularly love it when he wrongfoots his opponents with it :lol:

And for the first time in months we Europeans can have a sensible sleeping pattern :)

rtgy 04-01-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ictmee (Post 8368156)
And for the first time in months we Europeans can have a sensible sleeping pattern :)

:rocker: