MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Team USA (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Alex Domijan (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=140402)

Chip_s_m 03-23-2009 11:58 AM

Alex Domijan

Alex Domijan is a young American (still 17) who has done well in juniors and produced some solid results in futures as well. He was granted a WC into Indian Wells qualifying, and although he lost to Kendrick 6-2 6-2 he was given one for Miami qualifying too. He has a tough draw since he faces the #1 seed Dudi Sela. Regardless, it should be a great experience. Good luck Alex!

10K Futures Qualifier 03-24-2009 08:50 PM

Re: Alex Domijan

He lost, 6-2, 7-5.

Ozone 08-03-2009 03:13 AM

Alex dominated the USA F19 Future in Godfrey, IL. He was against Matt Reid of Australia in the final. Alex won the first set 7-6(9-7) and was at 5-5 in the second. Surprisingly, Alex had to retire. Hopefully, he is okay. Odd to retire when you are so close to the championship.:eek:

Smoke944 08-03-2009 04:30 AM

Yeah, that appears to be an unfortunate retirement for him. Great play by him, though. Alex was in the main draw for Washington with a WC but he withdrew. Whether it was because of the injury or because of a slight conflict with Kalamazoo, (where he is the number 1 seed in 18s) I don't know.

SHB 08-04-2009 12:45 AM

He plans to play Kalamazoo. He was forced to retire due to cramping. The worst part is that he was serving for the match at 5-4 when the cramping started.

http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/r...t-domijan.html

Chip_s_m 08-04-2009 01:00 AM

Wow that sucks bigtime. Hopefully he'll be rested up for Kalamazoo.

Smoke944 08-10-2009 08:24 PM

Went to Kalamazoo for a day, watched Alex play (among others). Also, ran into him in an elevator :lol:

SHB 08-13-2009 03:45 AM

No main draw wild card for Domijan. He lost in the round of 32 in Kalamazoo to the 19 seed, Kevin King, who was 17-17 as a freshman at Georgia Tech. A highly unexpected loss, though it sounds like King brought his "A" game.

He'll still get a qualifying wild card.

Smoke944 08-13-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHB (Post 8951961)
No main draw wild card for Domijan. He lost in the round of 32 in Kalamazoo to the 19 seed, Kevin King, who was 17-17 as a freshman at Georgia Tech. A highly unexpected loss, though it sounds like King brought his "A" game.

He'll still get a qualifying wild card.

Tough loss, and don't get me wrong, it's a big upset, but Kevin King is really good player.
Now that he's out in the best interests of US tennis I hope that one of Kudla, Cox, or Sandgren can win it.
At the same time you could have an older guy who is going away to college win it, like Krajicek did last year.

SHB 08-13-2009 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke944 (Post 8951985)
Tough loss, and don't get me wrong, it's a big upset, but Kevin King is really good player.
Now that he's out in the best interests of US tennis I hope that one of Kudla, Cox, or Sandgren can win it.
At the same time you could have an older guy who is going away to college win it, like Krajicek did last year.

Did you see the match? I'd wouldn't mind knowing more about King. He played well at this tournament last year as well. Do you think he has pro potential? His results up to now aren't terribly impressive, but things can change rapidly at that age.

King's draw now sets up very well for him.

Smoke944 08-13-2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHB (Post 8952021)
Did you see the match? I'd wouldn't mind knowing more about King. He played well at this tournament last year as well. Do you think he has pro potential? His results up to now aren't terribly impressive, but things can change rapidly at that age.

King's draw now sets up very well for him.

I didn't see the match but watched them both earlier in the week. King is underrated though, I think. Like you said, he had a great run here last year, too. As for pro potential, I think he has decent pro potential after a couple years of college. A couple things to keep in mind are that he never played ITFs and is a year younger than other players in his class. So I think he has significant room for improvement. And certainly this is a big opportunity for him here.

out_here_grindin 10-08-2010 12:35 AM

He has just destryoed too strong college players. 6-2 6-1 each.

He may be #1 for UVA this year

SHB 10-10-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by out_here_grindin (Post 10419438)
He has just destryoed too strong college players. 6-2 6-1 each.

He may be #1 for UVA this year

He won the tournament, beating the #2, #3, #8, #9, #14, and #42 ranked players. He only dropped one set, to Quigley in the final. Impressive stuff.

The University of Virginia is loaded for bear this year.

jcempire 11-01-2010 04:18 AM

Nice, Keep going

out_here_grindin 02-04-2012 02:59 AM

Just coming back from injury. he did not play any of the fall ITA events. Dismantled the Texas #2 player today.