MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions & Questions (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ignore list recommendations (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=140362)

pogotheorist 03-22-2009 09:27 PM

Ignore list recommendations

The Ignore list is a great feature. For those who haven't tried it: it's on User CP, on the list at top right. Posts from ignored posters still appear - but collapsed so you have to click to see them. Spares having your mind involuntarily polluted. You can think of it as a private banning power.

My list? Confidential. No need to wave red flags in front of bulls. My recommendation? If you want a way to read what civil folk have to say without exposure to those who have made a hobby of being rude and obnoxious here, use the list.

Bold utopian suggestion: a "most popular ignorees" list: list of members in order of number of ignore lists they're on. Could be useful feedback; an extension of the arseclown concept. Arseclowns woud then vie to be at the top - but harmlessly, just cavorting in the void with no-one but arseclown connoisseurs watching.

I now throw the floor open to those brave or foolish enough to name names. That should provoke the provocable, and work as a thread-bumping mechanism.

Clydey 03-22-2009 09:30 PM

Re: Ignore list recommendations

I don't put people on ignore. I don't see the point. What could be so offensive about someone's posts that you can't bear to even see their name in a thread? I'd rather see what people are saying than put people on ignore.

Jōris 03-22-2009 09:35 PM

This message is hidden because pogotheorist is on your ignore list.

NinaNina19 03-22-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydey (Post 8318429)
I don't put people on ignore. I don't see the point. What could be so offensive about someone's posts that you can't bear to even see their name in a thread? I'd rather see what people are saying than put people on ignore.

Yeah, agreed. Some people take forums too seriously.

Certinfy 03-22-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

QFT. :)

pogotheorist 03-22-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

You still see their names, Clydey. And of course it's great if you like things the way they are. But people like Heartbroken, whose "Hating and Attacks" thread is locked but not yet sunk, feel a helpless wish for a more civil forum. With self-managed filtering, they can have it without having to somehow impose their own ethos on those who like the rough and tumble.

As for what could be offensive, it's more tedious: swearing, insults, homophobic slander, taunts about genitals, contentless "Close this thread!" disses. I'm old enough to have heard enough of that stuff to last a lifetime.

tangerine_dream 03-22-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arend (Post 8318452)
This message is hidden because pogotheorist is on your ignore list.

:lol:

Fee 03-22-2009 09:48 PM

http://www.menstennisforums.com/sear...archid=1522224

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=88825

etc, etc...

Clydey 03-22-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogotheorist (Post 8318498)
You still see their names, Clydey. And of course it's great if you like things the way they are. But people like Heartbroken, whose "Hating and Attacks" thread is locked but not yet sunk, feel a helpless wish for a more civil forum. With self-managed filtering, they can have it without having to somehow impose their own ethos on those who like the rough and tumble.

That won't change anything. The posts are still there. You just won't see them. All that might happen is that you will occasionally lose chunks of a thread. Wouldn't it be better to simply not respond, rather than remain oblivious to what they say? I don't see what is so offensive. Maybe that's just me, though, since I don't really get offended.

HeretiC 03-22-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogotheorist (Post 8318498)
But people like Heartbroken, whose "Hating and Attacks" thread is locked but not yet sunk, feel a helpless wish for a more civil forum.

Why is that thread locked? Btw, Fee, spot on posts in that thread. :yeah:

ORGASMATRON 03-22-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Roger that. What can someone possible say on the internet that could be so hard to bare? Thats what is so good about the net, you get to express your opinion without some alpha male getting all in your face about it. Its more civil.

Fee 03-22-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeretiC (Post 8318532)
Why is that thread locked? Btw, Fee, spot on posts in that thread. :yeah:

Thank you. :)

Why was this thread moved here? It belongs in non-tennis with all the other threads about using the ignore list.

Deboogle!. 03-23-2009 01:51 AM

The OP proposed changing the functionality of the ignore list, so it makes sense that it's considered a "suggestion"

As for why people would want to use the ignore list, it's more a matter of impatience, at least for me. I'd rather not waste my time trying to ignore or respond to people who annoy me, so it is great that I can just blissfully ignore them :)