MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Equipment (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Need help picking a new racket since my old one broke (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=138671)

gofmarat 02-17-2009 07:57 PM

Need help picking a new racket since my old one broke

I accidentally broke my racket while serving :sad:, the handle just slipped.
I have (or had) an old Prokennex Ti innovator oversize, if anyone familiar with it.
I'm a 4.0 player and want to buy a decent racket to help me improve my game, maybe a player's racket.
I hit a 1-H backhand and use top spin on my forehand, I don't think that a heavier racket would be a problem since I can generate power, what racket do you recommend me to buy, I saw the K blade / k tour, what do you think about the Head's liquidmetal series, cause I saw them on sale in a shop(radical/instinct midplus), not that I have a problem buying a 200$ racket if you recommend me a good one, I am really confused and would appreciate your help
thanks,

jazar 02-17-2009 08:20 PM

Re: Need help picking a new racket since my old one broke

rackets like the head liquidmetal radical and instinct are light players rackets; they suit people with relatively long swings and provide a nice balance between power and control. for a single handed backhand, i personally find the radical better. newer versions of those rackets will have the same specs and playability, just slightly newer technology and paint jobs. if you want more control then the radical is a better option, if you want more power then the intinct is better.

other brands are going to make equivalent rackets. wilson's equivalent to the radical is the kblade, which is just a little heavier and their equivalent to the instinct is the kpro open. you mentioned the kblade tour; that really is an advanced players racket and is rather difficult to use, so i wouldnt recommend it as much as rackets like the radical.

other similar rackets are babolat pure storm, babolat pure drive (theres a new one coming soon, so the current one will get reduced), prince 03 speedport black, prince rebel team, yonex rds 003 and 002 (again, new ones coming so soon to be reduced).

gofmarat 02-17-2009 08:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,
so if I need to buy a racket in the next few days, what racket do you recommend me, the kBlade 98 (does it have good control?) or pick the liquidmetal radical (what newer version is the radical evolved to?, does it worth picking the newer versions?) I see they all are around 11 oz, is the weight is enough or should I get heavier one? What is the difference between the regular and the tour versions?

jazar 02-18-2009 07:45 AM

the kblade has nice control as does the radical. the latest incarceration of the radical is the microgel radical, which has the same specs as the liquidmetal version and plays very similar. 11oz is a good weight, if you start to go above that you have to do more and the racket does less for you. any racket that has tour in its name is generally a heavier version of the standard racket.

if you want to save a little money, then the liquidmetal racket is a good option. theres absolutely nothing wrong with it, its just an older model and there isnt a great deal of difference between it and the latest version. i personally prefer radicals to the blade, as they are more flexible (more flex = more control, comfort and feel), but the blade is still a great racket and very popular too

gofmarat 02-18-2009 10:10 AM

Is the Head Liquidmetal Radical is a player's racket, and do you know who played with it.

jazar 02-18-2009 01:29 PM

its a light players racket

gofmarat 02-19-2009 01:23 PM

Sorry for the bother, but I spoke with one of the trainers in my club(not my trainer) and he said that the k Factor Ktour is a better racquet than the Kblade/Liquidmetal radical, what do you think?

jazar 02-19-2009 05:04 PM

the ktour is a lighter and more powerful frame than either the kblade or radical, so if you are looking to progress and improve then the blade or radical would be better. just be aware that the vast majority of coaches know absolutely nothing about rackets