MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Western & Southern Financial Group Masters (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Cliff Drysdale & Mal Washington, our commentators...Oy Vey (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=13728)

Federer Fan 08-03-2004 12:16 AM

Cliff Drysdale & Mal Washington, our commentators...Oy Vey

It's bad enough we are stuck depending on ESPN for coverage but they stick us with Cliffy and Mal. Where's Mary? Where's Patrick? I dont know if i can handle the obvious insincerity of the two of them together. I always had the feeling that if you stuffed JMac in there with them, he would kill them.

playwithmybanan 08-03-2004 06:17 AM

Re: Cliff Drysdale & Mal Washington, our commentators...Oy Vey

hey, nothing but respect for cliff drysdale. he at least gives people like guillermo coria a chance. patrick and mary don't give a damn unless the person playing is american.

playwithmybanan 08-03-2004 06:18 AM

and mal, well... he knows a lot about the game. im not sure what his commentating is like, but when he's courtside and they give him 2 minutes of air time, he usually makes the most of it.

Lalitha 08-03-2004 07:05 AM

Surprisingly, I'll get to see this TMS from first round. Here in India, it will be late in the night when the matches begin, but hopefully I'll get to see a few matches.

I don't know whether they'll get the pictures from ESPN or anyother Channel who telecasts the tournament, but I hope I get a nice commentary.

Deboogle!. 08-03-2004 02:11 PM

I like Cliff fine... but Mal is absolutely insufferable. Just the two hours last night made me want to pull my hair out. This week is going to be difficult lol

EHendrick 08-03-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
I like Cliff fine... but Mal is absolutely insufferable. Just the two hours last night made me want to pull my hair out. This week is going to be difficult lol

my sentiments exactly. sometimes less is more, ya know? lol.

Federer Fan 08-03-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

I like Cliff when PMac or Mary is there to "soften the blow" so to say, but Cliff and Mal together. It can be a bit unbearable.

Deboogle!. 08-03-2004 08:14 PM

Amen... two matches from these two so far and I'm about to poke out my eardrums. It's REALLY BAD. Mal has permanent diarrhea of the mouth :o

Federer Fan 08-03-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Amen... two matches from these two so far and I'm about to poke out my eardrums. It's REALLY BAD. Mal has permanent diarrhea of the mouth :o

LMAO, LMAO. And i thought that Cliffy talked alot, but Mal actually out talked him. It's an unpleasantly amazing ability

Deboogle!. 08-03-2004 08:35 PM

I really don't mind Cliff at all.

but Mal just says such STUPID things. STUPID. And at least Cliff corrects him. Cliff talks a lot, too, but I think he's more fair and commentates more evenly and I also think he knows when he SHOULD keep quiet.

I've gotta say...this is making me appreciate PMac a LOT more. I'd rather hear "HELLO!" and "Eye Droppa!" 40 times a match than have to suffer through Mal.

Federer Fan 08-03-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

I've gotta say...this is making me appreciate PMac a LOT more. I'd rather hear "HELLO!" and "Eye Droppa!" 40 times a match than have to suffer through Mal.

That is so funny but so true. I was thinking the same thing. I rather hear "HELLO" then anything from Mal.

Deboogle!. 08-03-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federer Fan
That is so funny but so true. I was thinking the same thing. I rather hear "HELLO" then anything from Mal.

haha. well the way I see it... PMac is just annoying, a little obnoxious... but he knows his tennis and he's pretty knowledgeable about the players. Yes, he favors his Davis Cup kiddies and that should probably be avoided, but even then, I like the personal touch when he commentates matches from people he knows personally. But Mal, on the other hand, is just stupid. Saying things like "Roger could take the whole rest of the year off" and other such ridiculosities is just flat out stupid. And I'd take annoying over stupid any day :)

Federer Fan 08-03-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

. Saying things like "Roger could take the whole rest of the year off" and other such ridiculosities is just flat out stupid. And I'd take annoying over stupid any day :)

That was the dumbiest thing that I have heard in awhile. It's so obiviously not true. Including Cincy, there are still 3 TMS left, Masters Cup and a GS left. Come on, he should know better. And I agree, I would take annoying over stupid anyday. It's like he talks just to hear himself speak. But tell me, what do you think about the ever so whispery Mary Carillo?

playwithmybanan 08-04-2004 12:54 AM

the worst commentary ever was the CBC doing the finals of tms canada. i don't know why they had to make the cbc cover it. the guy kept saying 'Andy Roddick needs to come into the net more. he's not very good at volleying, but he needs to keep coming into the net.'
point after point, roddick would come in and get passed, and the guy would say 'i like what roddick is doing, he's playing smart.'

cliff is still the man, mal was talking about tennis clubs today and said one of federer's forehands was one you'd see at a club.... not the best stuff ive ever heard

EHendrick 08-04-2004 03:15 AM

OMG, that Roddick - Mirnyi match just now was insufferable. I was actually using the mute button on points. Shut up already, Mal! Let the tennis speak for itself. For chrissakes. :mad: :smash: :armed: :timebomb: