MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The Federer Express (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Introduce yourself thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=137218)

juninhOH 01-28-2009 02:21 PM

Introduce yourself thread

Hello,

I'm quite sure a thread like this have been created before, but I decided to create another one because I kind of searched and couldn't find anything related. This is a thread where you should just, if you feel comfortable doing so, talk a bit about yourself. Your name, how old are you, what do you work with, how "commited" with tennis are you, etc. I'll go 1st. Ps. I'm very aware that some of you know each other, but lot's of new users don't, so...

My name is Antoniel, I'm a 23-year old Brazilian (doh!) from Joao Pessoa. I'm in the last semester of lawschool, but don't like it that much anymore. After I finish the course I'll try to figure out what I really want to work with. I live with my parents and currently work translating articles (english -> portuguese) and news to a poker website.

I started to *watch* tennis back in 2005. I still remember watching Roger beat Agassi in their USO final, but I really don't remember anything about the match, just remember I watched it. Around 2006 I started to follow the sport religiously and became an even bigger Roger fan. It was around that year that I started to really care about his results and become emotionally involved. Nowadays if he loses it can really ruin my day. I don't remember the exact day I got to know MTF, but I'm quite sure I was googling tennis matches and bumped into that old "tennis matches" thread in GM.

In 2007 I went to this resort and played tennis for the first time in my life, and I really loved it since the very first minute. That was around september, and by December of that year I decided to treat myself well, buy some racquet and start to practice tennis. Now it's been one year since then, and I go to the club 2-3 times a week to relax and play :).

Poker, traveling, swimming, movies and music are among my interests. I swim 2-3 times a week in the same club I play tennis. It helps my cardio and I also like it because I can think a lot while I swim. I love seeing the nature and those are the best trips for me, rather than an "urban" trip. Those are really great, specially the ones that involves nice desert beaches. I also like pretty much any kind of movie, it just needs to entertain me. I don't care if its a "Will Farrel" (?) movie of it's a Roberto Benini's, it just needs to be nice. The same thing applies to music (but not so much!).

Hm I think that is it. I'd like to know more about you guys, so please introduce yourself!

Eden 01-28-2009 10:36 PM

Re: Introduce yourself thread

Nice idea to start such a thread Antoniel, though there's already the Federer Express Passenger Thread

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=22944

where people can introduce themselves :)

Itís always interesting to get to know a bit more about each other and therefore I want to write something about myself as well:

My name is Doris, Iím 33 and living near Hannover in Germany. I work in the public library of my hometown and really enjoy it. Books have always been an important part of my life. As we are a small team with just 5 employees and one trainee I get to do the whole necessary work and donít have just one particular scope. One of the most interesting part of the job is it to meet a lot of different kind of people each day from all kind of age and social background.

I'm following tennis since nearly 25 years now, but unfortunately have never played tennis myself.

Within the years I supported a lot of players (Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Stich, Rafter, Agassi), but my 2 main favourites are Gustavo Kuerten and Roger Federer.

Guga is special for me as I enjoyed his tennis, his behaviour on and off the court. He always seemed to have a great time when he played, was so loose and happy. Beside this I treasure a lot how he dealed with the destiny of his family.

Roger is special for me as it is such a joy to watch him play. I was always really into the matches of my favourite players (being nervous, screaming, being happy when they won, being disappointed when they lost), but to follow Roger's career is even more for me. I'm amazed how he is able to put disappointments behind him and staying so focused. It's obvious how much he cares for the game and the tradition.
It's great to see that such a successful athlete is able to stay down to earth, being friendly to his opponents on the tour and getting a lot of respect from them. Roger has a great way to communicate with other people, not just the players, but also the crowd and his fans.

I regret it that I didnít went to tournaments earlier. It would have been great to see players as Kuerten, Becker, Sampras, Agassi or Rafter playing, but unfortunately there was never really someone such a huge tennisfan as me amongst my friends or familymembers and I didnít wanted to go alone to a tournament. In 2007 I said to myself I had to use the opportunity to see Roger playing at least once and so I went to the tournament in Hamburg together with someone who I got to know on the internet. It was incredible to be able to watch Roger playing live :worship:

Apart from tennis Iím interested in music, mainly from the 80ies (Depeche Mode, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams...) Iím a huge fan of the Norwegian band a-ha since 1987. Of course I like to read in my free time. I prefer history novels, thrillers and biographies. Already back in school I started to write stories myself, but I havenít written anything now for a while.

Iím going to the evening classes once in a week to learn French. I had it 4 years at school, but forgot nearly everything as I didnít used the language in my daily life.

That's it about me. Looking forward to read from other fans as well :)

juninhOH 01-28-2009 11:55 PM

that was really sweet, I liked reading your post :)

c'mon I wanna read about the other fans too :)

clever1980 01-29-2009 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eden (Post 8086780)
Apart from tennis Iím interested in music, mainly from the 80ies (Depeche Mode, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams...) Iím a huge fan of the Norwegian band a-ha since 1987.

A-ha! It has been so long I haven't heard much about them, since moving to the U.S. "Angel in the snow" was my favourite. Also like "Move to Memphis".

Daniel 01-29-2009 05:16 AM

Hello everyone :wavey:

JediFed 01-29-2009 06:37 AM

Hmm, where to start.

The other thread calls me a "retro-sexual" nice guy, which I guess is pretty accurate.

I'm a 27 year old self-confessed country boy who lives in northern BC. I grew up around dogs and horses who were my companions growing up. I still ride from time to time, but less frequently now as life intrudes.

I have a history degree from the local university, and I current work as a data entry clerk. I've had all manner of jobs over the years, but my goal is to eventually become a high school teacher.

My boss would describe me as 'detail-oriented' and 'prickly' which would probably explain why I can appreciate Roger Federer.

I have played some tennis in high school, I used to do more soccer, track, volleyball, skiing and badminton. Sports were always just for recreation, never was all that fond of competition.

I watched my first tennis match in 2001, when I was in Vancouver going to University. I was watching Sampras/Agassi at the AO QFs where Agassi won a 5 setter. I remember that because there was an African fellow in the dorm, who spoke the Queens English, teaching a colonial the finer points of service boxes. I grew an appreciation for Pistol Pete, and would watch his matches from time to time.

I remember this fellow named Federer who some said he was better then Sampras, back in 2006. I couldn't accept such effrontry, so I started following him. Lo and behold, I took a shine, and here I am.

My interests are rather simple. I love to read, and read pretty much everything. I love a good meal from time to time, and playing games with my friends. I'll play anything once, but I am particularly fond of computer games and card games.

I enjoy going to mass on Sundays, and would like nothing more then brunch afterwards with my family and a good football game. That's handmelon not footie.

My goals? I went down to Texas when I was between jobs here in the frozen north and fell in love with a beautiful woman there. I proposed to her back in September, and I am looking forward to heading back down soon to be with her. I'd love to get married and get a start on my own family, but for now I'm stuck up here in my hometown.

trickcy 01-30-2009 12:47 PM

It's lovely to read about you Antoniel, Doris and Sean :wavey:
I hope more members post here too :D

My name's Lekha and I am 18 years old and I'm from Karnataka in South India. I'm doing my biotech Engg right now.

I first started following tennis from RG finals 2006. I was just changing channels and saw Federer vs Nadal on the screen and I remember thinking "Oh Federer, must be the one the newspaper article was talking about being as good as Sampras" vaguely and I was surprised to find that I was disappointed to watch I guy I'd never seen before lose :scratch: just followed scores in Halle. The next match I saw was the Wimbledon finals, and by that time, was aware enough of their Head to Head to be very very nervous :o :D I was very happy that he won :dance: and from then on watched tennis more often.

As sports, I used to follow cricket (we're crazy about that here Dravid :hearts: :inlove: :lol:) and I used to play badminton a lot before for my club, school, college and all that. I just play it for relaxation these days. And not too often, unfortunately :( I have tried playing tennis occasionally. Btw, I have a single handed backhand :p

Other than that, my interests include music, and reading. I learn Indian classic music and listen to all kinds of music, and I love reading books. Mainly fiction, but I do like reading in general.
:)

juninhOH 01-30-2009 01:50 PM

ei lekha, really nice that you like indian classic music. I'm very interested in asian music, like chinese music and indian music as well
do you play citara or something?
can you tell me some albums I should look out for?

trickcy 01-30-2009 03:21 PM

Nice to hear that you're interested in Asian music :D

Well, I sing actually :lol:. But I sort of know the basics of playing violin and to a lesser extent veena. Not sitar though.

Depends on which sort of music you like :scratch:
If you're talking about sitar, I'd recommend the artistes Ravi Shankar and his daughter, Anoushika Shankar. Just my opinion.
There is basically two main streams of classical music- Hindustani and Carnatic. So if you can tell me which you're interested in, I can maybe be more specific. :)

juninhOH 01-30-2009 05:10 PM

Well I don't know the name nor anything, I just like the sound of the instruments, I think sitar is very relaxing.

trickcy 01-30-2009 05:13 PM

Then for Sitar, like I said, in my opinion, music by Ravi Shankar and Anoushika Shankar is very good :yeah:

juninhOH 01-30-2009 05:21 PM

Okay I'm gonna try them out :D

trickcy 01-30-2009 05:27 PM

Hope you like them :scared: :D

Dini 01-30-2009 06:37 PM

Nadine, 17, London. Love Rog. To bits. I am obsessed.

juninhOH 01-30-2009 07:11 PM

hah Nadine don't you want to write a little bit more? :)