MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Novak Djokovic Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=458)
-   -   Will Novak take a WC for a tournament next week? Should he? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135643)

uglyamerican 01-06-2009 05:14 AM

Will Novak take a WC for a tournament next week? Should he?

I don't have a positive feeling about this whole year!:o

We'll see if Novak tries to play next week.

Lee 01-06-2009 05:16 AM

Re: Bloody hard yakka, these slams---Australian Open 2009 thread.

Nole may get a WC to either Sydney or Auckland.

uglyamerican 01-06-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 7966289)
Nole may get a WC to either Sydney or Auckland.

I hope not. Real chance of doing more harm than good.

Lee 01-06-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglyamerican (Post 7966307)

He needs more match practise :shrug:

Herdwick 01-06-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 7966318)
He needs more match practise :shrug:

Definitely. He must surely go to Sydney now. Am concerned he looked so jaded so early though.

kalisita 01-06-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglyamerican (Post 7966307)

This match today showed he needs match play. He's rusty. Needs confidence. (But, I'd be real bad if he crashed out early somewhere next week as well.)

kalisita 01-06-2009 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herdwick (Post 7966331)
Definitely. He must surely go to Sydney now. Am concerned he looked so jaded so early though.

I am as well. His body language was bad from the start. It's like the MC never happended. :sad:

uglyamerican 01-06-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalisita (Post 7966332)
(But, I'd be real bad if he crashed out early somewhere next week as well.)

It would be worse to get to finals and be all worn out going into the AUS OPEN.

Only 3 times since 1990 has the winner of the AUS played a tournament the week before.

In 2002 Thomas Johansson lost in the first round at Sydney.

In 1990 Lendl lost to Yannick Noah 6-1,6-4 at Sydney, then beat Noah 6-4, 6-1,6-2 in the Australian SF.

Novak would hope to emmulate Pete Sampras, who in 1994, lost in the first round at Doha (to 205th ranked Karim Alami), then took a WC for Sydney--won Sydney and the Australian.

PS--I changed this thread title, since that's what we're discussing, anyway.

Saumon 01-06-2009 09:17 AM

Re: Will Novak take a WC for a tournament next week? Should he?

He can always play a match or two in Kooyong. No? :p

jitterbug 01-06-2009 09:35 AM

I don't care either way, I will be in both Sydney and Kooyong :lol:

Anyhowwwwww.. This article made it sound like he already accepted the WC:
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...uck_in_Sydney_

Quote:

Djokovic hopes to turn his luck in Sydney
Asia-Pacific News

Jan 6, 2009, 9:08 GMT

Sydney - Only hours after a first-round upset in Brisbane on Tuesday, Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic was set to head to Sydney to tune his tennis at the Medibank International.

The world number three was granted a late wildcard into the men's and women's event which starts on Sunday, one week prior to the Open.

The Serb crashed out 6-4, 6-4 to Ernests Gulbis in his opening match of the season in Brisbane but was saved by the free entry in Sydney.

It will be the Serb's first visit to the city. 'I'm very grateful to receive the wildcard to Sydney,' he said. 'It was disappointing to lose in Brisbane but I now have another chance for more high quality matches in Sydney.

'I've heard a lot about the tournament and I am looking forward to playing there.'

Djokovic will come in as top seed in the men's draw in a field which also includes 2008 Melbourne finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France and sixth-ranked compatriot Gilles Simon, Argentine David Nalbandian and four-time Sydney champion Lleyton Hewitt.

The women's field boasts Serena Williams, Dinara Safina, Elena Dementieva, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Australians Casey Dellacqua and Sam Stosur.

Herdwick 01-06-2009 09:41 AM

Cheers - good. He can't go into the AO with no match practice - that's asking for more trouble.

Am worried he hasn't used his off-season time as well as he could have though. Am sure we all hoped TMC success in November would provide him with decent momentum into 2009.

Saumon 01-06-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jitterbug (Post 7966831)
I don't care either way, I will be in both Sydney and Kooyong :lol:

duplicity? :eek: :p

jitterbug 01-06-2009 09:44 AM

He probably needed this as a good kick in the boll*cks though :) Anyway, I'll try my best to get Nole photos for you guys if I see him around in Sydney. I'll be volunteering so there won't be much spare time but I definitely need to hunt him down.

jitterbug 01-06-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saumon (Post 7966859)
duplicity? :eek: :p

Astral projection ;)

*Ljubica* 01-06-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jitterbug (Post 7966860)
He probably needed this as a good kick in the boll*cks though :) Anyway, I'll try my best to get Nole photos for you guys if I see him around in Sydney. I'll be volunteering so there won't be much spare time but I definitely need to hunt him down.

Thank you, - and enjoy your time there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herdwick (Post 7966850)
Cheers - good. He can't go into the AO with no match practice - that's asking for more trouble.

Am worried he hasn't used his off-season time as well as he could have though. Am sure we all hoped TMC success in November would provide him with decent momentum into 2009.

Totally agree! Far too much partying - TV programmes, opening restaurants, football matches, nightclubs and generally having fun :devil: BUT.......... from my point of view that's exactly why I love Nole :shrug: He may crash out early in Australian Open - nothing would surprise me :shrug: But I'd kind of hate it if he was a robot, who just practised 24/7 and didn't have a life outside tennis world. We're only in the first week of the season - last year was great for the first 6 months and pretty sh*t for the second........... maybe this year wll be opposite. Nole is always full of surprises.