MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gamblers Lounge (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=392)
-   -   Gambling confession (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135369)

kinster 12-31-2008 12:38 AM

Gambling confession

I started gambling 3 years ago in the summer. I am in debt at the moment at
-£614.03. My high point is near +£700 and low point is around near -£1000. I want to quit if I ever reach -£1000 again. I want to win my money back real bad and maybe quit but I doubt I ever will.

Tell me about your gambling story as I told you mine. Just wondering as if any of you people are is the same sort of situation like me.

azza 12-31-2008 01:30 PM

Re: Gambling confession

Always Pick Federer in early matches = 100% strike rate.

ryan23 12-31-2008 10:07 PM

Sorry to hear your story Kinster- ive been there and i'm sure most of the people on here have been, i got out of it luckily and i'm much better for it nowadays, theres always a way out m8 even if it means quit the gambling untill you can afford to do so,

nowadays i can afford to do it so i do but never at the expense of the important things in life e.g bills,roof over your head etc

Hope you get over it mate and i hope 2009 is better for you

its.like.that 01-03-2009 03:56 AM

When I was 9 years old I stole $50 from my parents to buy a basketball card which I then sold for a little over $400.

Thanos 01-03-2009 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its.like.that (Post 7953435)
When I was 9 years old I stole $50 from my parents to buy a basketball card which I then sold for a little over $400.

which player was it?

Gamblore 01-03-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacked82 (Post 7953741)
which player was it?

Most probably Michael Jordan. But cards back from 1990 to 2000 or so are worth squat these days. Unless its a signed card with a piece of used jersey.

TankingTheSet 01-03-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinster (Post 7944614)
I started gambling 3 years ago in the summer. I am in debt at the moment at
-£614.03. My high point is near +£700 and low point is around near -£1000. I want to quit if I ever reach -£1000 again. I want to win my money back real bad and maybe quit but I doubt I ever will.

The highlighted statement is one of the classic pathological thoughts that can lead to gambling addition and ever-increasing debts.

I'm not saying your situation is bad - the amounts you quote are relatively benign -- but it is a thought like 'I want to win my money back real bad' etc that can lead to increasing gambling problems/debts in some people.

It can help if you recognize such a tought as irrational, and just take it easy and try to view your gambling more as a recreational hobby in which case gambling can be more fun and relatively harmless. It's a lack of discipline with irrational thoughts like 'I want to win my money back bad', 'I need to win $xxxx by tomorrow/next month' that can cause problems.

The irrationality can be explained as follows:
1. Someone has $xxxx debt from gambling.
2. Wants to recover his debt by gambling.

Statement 1. suggests the person has a big chance of losing more money by gambling. Therefore statement 2. is irrational.

IvŠn 01-03-2009 04:33 PM

Is that from your own mind TTS or have you copy and pasted?

Lebowski 01-03-2009 07:48 PM

Quit your crying... something your father should have told you

MTF is the castrated community

bad gambler 01-03-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

That kind of entrepreneurship at such an early age should be embraced

Nathaliia 01-03-2009 09:15 PM

Tanking The Set is a pseudo intellectual type, so I believe it's his own production :p.

Kinster, hopefully you'll be fine. I had two thrilling adventures of this sort, but came back, although the second time (yeah, parlay with Mahut in Wrocław 2008) was painful enough that for a few days I didn't have money for a living as my salary got delayed.

Roddickominator 01-15-2009 11:01 PM

I started like a month ago....started with $100, got up to $2700 in 7 or 8 days. Put $2,000 on a 6-team parlay(NBA and college basketball) that'd have won me about $8,000.....A strong home favorite was upset by 3 points and I lost. Since then its been up and down....i'm down like a grand overall.

I think i'd have been better off losing early...because I can get a little too sure of myself and take too many risks. But i'm learning.

ryan23 01-16-2009 08:50 AM

Thats the problem when your on a winning streak you start to feel like you cant lose- but the tide will turn and thats when you know how good you are, dont get cocky!

Bolar Bolabi 09-14-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Can't beat what I did.

At an AFL practice football match one time in Lavington.

I printed off a whole heap of Mickey Mouse pictures. Signed them, then sold them to kids for $10 a piece saying Mickey Mouse signed it. I raised over $500 and was pretty happy with myself.

The smart thing about that was that if I sold it to them for more, their parents would ask what they need the money for. :wavey:

I would do it again in a heart beat. This time maybe a Miley Cyrus picture. That seems to be the craze at the moment in young people.

IvŠn 09-14-2009 05:31 PM

about 5 years ago i always use to start with say 100 pound and slowly build it up to about a 1 thousand, then the following week i would lose it all in a manic gambling spree of getting pissed off with certain losers.

in the last 2 years i have learnt to controll myself, i now value 400 pound say like 4 grand, dont get sidetracked by the number on your betting screen, as soon as you win a big amount witdraw it immedieatly into your bank account, leave a little to play with, if you lose it, wait two weeks and put in 100 pound again.