MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   wrist movement! (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135144)

timtennis 12-21-2008 01:24 PM

wrist movement!

hi! my name is tim and i just started playing tennis again after a 6 years break!:rolleyes:
so i have a question. my coach tells me the wrist must not move through the movement of the forehand and the backhand.. but i watched a slow motion video of pros in youtube and i can see they hit the ball with their wrist laying back!! so what should i do?? plz help!! thank you in advance.:wavey:

Bernard Black 12-21-2008 06:37 PM

Re: wrist movement!

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtennis (Post 7922364)
hi! my name is tim and i just started playing tennis again after a 6 years break!:rolleyes:
so i have a question. my coach tells me the wrist must not move through the movement of the forehand and the backhand.. but i watched a slow motion video of pros in youtube and i can see they hit the ball with their wrist laying back!! so what should i do?? plz help!! thank you in advance.:wavey:

Hmm, well you certainly use plenty of wrist action on the forehand in order to whip behind the ball and generate extra racquet head speed. Although you will see some clunky techniques which use mostly the arm. You need a more stable wrist for the backhand.

I've had a slight wrist injury for a while now and it mostly affected my forehand and serve as you'd expect, just can't get that same wrist snap. My backhand and volleys have been fine though.

GlennMirnyi 12-25-2008 12:23 AM

You don't pronate the wrist. You rotate the wrist. In fact you rotate the arm, the wrist rotates with it. :)

Kolya 12-27-2008 09:36 PM

I believe some players bend their wrists to get more spin or to hit low balls.

Watch Bruguera's forehand.

Bernard Black 01-05-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi (Post 7930116)
You don't pronate the wrist. You rotate the wrist. In fact you rotate the arm, the wrist rotates with it. :)

That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. With that in mind, the only shots in which you consciously utilise wrist movement for are serves and overheads - it's impossible to keep the ball in otherwise.

GlennMirnyi 01-05-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TidusZidane (Post 7962888)
That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. With that in mind, the only shots in which you consciously utilise wrist movement for are serves and overheads - it's impossible to keep the ball in otherwise.

Exactly.

My coach that taught me like that. The wrist angle with your arm never changes when you're hitting a forehand, let's say. What changes is that you rotate the arm and it seems like you're using the wrist, but the angle hasn't changed. In fact, if you close the wrist to hit baseline shots you'll fuck up your wrist pretty soon.