MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gael Monfils Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   "Indoor" season 2008 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=131658)

Truc 09-20-2008 08:34 AM

"Indoor" season 2008

I didn't know how to call this thread since he will play a couple of tournaments on hardcourt before the start of his European indoor season.
Here are the events he has entered for the rest of the season:
23.9: Bangkok
29.9: Tokyo
6.10: Vienna
13.10: Madrid
-
27.10: Bercy

They promote him nicely for Bercy, as usual!

Truc 09-20-2008 08:39 AM

Re: On the road to Bercy 2008

Boutter (Metz tournament director) is quite pissed that Ritchie, Jo and Gaël all play in Tokyo:
Un choix financier
I dislike that schedule too, doesn't make sense with these 2 events on HC at the other end of the world, it really makes them look like money whores.

amdany 09-20-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truc (Post 7655458)
Boutter (Metz tournament director) is quite pissed that Ritchie, Jo and Gaël all play in Tokyo:
Un choix financier
I dislike that schedule too, doesn't make sense with these 2 events on HC at the other end of the world, it really makes them look like money whores.

so true:o

MacArthur 09-20-2008 02:18 PM

That's sad cause the Metz tournament is great and the french players should seize every opportunity they've got to play behind their one. But that's the game, Tokyo has full right to organize the best tournament possible, if they have the money.

What's even more sad is the place of Metz in the calendar of next year : just during the asian tourney. :sad: :rolleyes:

Truc 09-20-2008 03:46 PM

Just *before* the Asian tourney, it will be at the same time as Bucharest. Pretty stupid indeed to have an indoor event all alone at that time of the year. And it sucks for Bucharest too.

As for them all skipping Metz this year, I find it so bad for their image in France, I wonder if it's worth the extra $$$?
It's really disappointing not one of them can show a bit more loyalty to a home event.

(Hmmm, the title of the thread is annoying me already - I liked the idea of Gaël being on his way to his first AMS title :rocker2:, but it's annoying. It's almost an "indoor season", Bangkog is played indoors, only Tokyo isn't afaik.)

Truc 09-21-2008 08:41 AM

He has a good draw in Bangkok:
(1) DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB vs BYE
BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs QUALIFIER
BERRER, Michael GER vs GABASHVILI, Teimuraz RUS
QUALIFIER vs (6) SODERLING, Robin SWE

(3) BERDYCH, Tomas CZE vs BYE
BELLUCCI, Thomaz BRA vs BOLELLI, Simone ITA
(WC) UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA vs MAHUT, Nicolas FRA
(WC) DJOKOVIC, Marko SRB vs (5) NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN

(7) SAFIN, Marat RUS vs PETZSCHNER, Philipp GER
ZVEREV, Mischa GER vs (WC) SMEETS, Robert AUS
QUALIFIER vs KENDRICK, Robert USA
BYE vs (4) MONFILS, Gael FRA

(8) MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs YOUNG, Donald USA
SANTORO, Fabrice FRA vs TROICKI, Viktor SRB
QUALIFIER vs BECKER, Benjamin GER
BYE vs (2) TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried FRA

amdany 09-21-2008 09:30 AM

Re: "Indoor" season 2008

good luck Gael!!!

Truc 09-21-2008 12:37 PM

He also plays in doubles with Troicki. They play against Söderling-Wassen in the 1st round.

Truc 09-24-2008 01:46 PM

I couldn't follow the match closely because I was working, but it looked like the typical Monfils match. ^^
He was serving big when I was watching, the rest of his game was more indefinable, but still good enough to get the job done against a guy like Kendrick. As usual. But it would have been boring without the inevitable injury sequence.

Before the match he really was all smile and joking (I think he was laughing because they were playing Soulja Boy when he entered the court or something like that), and everything was looking fine until he served for the match at 5-4 and was broken.

And then he fell and was limping and making sure even the guys in the last row had noticed he was in pain. As usual too.
I doubt it was serious since he didn't call the physio.
Kendrick was too crap to punish him and Gaël finally regrouped to win it in the TB.

The winner of Zverev-Petzschner next!

soulage 09-24-2008 06:22 PM

Bangkok seems to be the idealistic place for a second title :). Very nice draw with a Jo who is not yet at his best and a Nole who looks after his brother.

I was wondering about the schedule, sorry to be late, but why he didn't enter Lyon ? No Metz, no Lyon :sad: He's very popular like Jo and I'm sure french children want to see him play even if I know that there is Bercy for french fans. Did he get some problems with these tournaments ?

Truc 09-24-2008 06:44 PM

Moretton (the tournament director of Lyon) said in Le Progrès that they were negotiating with Gaël's staff, everything was looking good, and then Gaël changed his agent again 3 days before the entry deadline (he now is with Tiriac) and Rasheed called Moretton to tell Gaël wouldn't play in Lyon. :shrug:
So I don't think Gaël himself has a problem with the tournament - it's just another annoying decision of his agent/manager for whatever reason.
But well, it's not too bad in Lyon since they will have all the other Frenchies.

soulage 09-24-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truc (Post 7672150)
Moretton (the tournament director of Lyon) said in Le Progrès that they were negotiating with Gaël's staff, everything was looking good, and then Gaël changed his agent again 3 days before the entry deadline (he now is with Tiriac) and Rasheed called Moretton to tell Gaël wouldn't play in Lyon. :shrug:
So I don't think Gaël himself has a problem with the tournament - it's just another annoying decision of his agent/manager for whatever reason.
But well, it's not too bad in Lyon since they will have all the other Frenchies.

Thanks for explanations :) It's not bad for Lyon staff but for french supporters. As I said he's very expected. Well, it doesn't matter.

Gael is very funny after all his changes : coach, GF, agent :lol:

lisaplenske 09-24-2008 09:30 PM

Well dont you Think that perhaps they dont go there only for money reasons but to experience new things.They will play the best in tokyo, more than in Metz.
They made a choice but a career is really short and must be full of changes.
If they can compete with the best players and yes earn much money why not??
richard reached the finale in tokyo,he has lot of points to defend there.

Good luck to them.

Truc 09-25-2008 07:08 AM

No, I don't think so.

In L'Equipe today:
Quote:

Monfils peinard
GAËL MONFILS laissa pour sa part une forte impression… durant 95 % de sa victoire sur Robert Kendrick. Pour avoir très rapidement pris la mesure du gros service de l’Américain, il se détacha pour mener 6-4, 5-4, service à suivre, en cinquante-huit minutes. Une attitude trop passive lui coûta son break d’avance, mais il se fit surtout une grosse frayeur en chutant lourdement dans le jeu suivant. S’en suivit une fin de match bizarroïde : en claudiquant, le Français reprit son avance (6-5), cala au moment de servir une deuxième fois pour le match et… appuya sur le champignon dans le tie-break (6-4, 7-6). « J’ai très mal au muscle fessier gauche et je pense avoir un gros hématome, dit-il juste à sa sortie du court. C’est dommage parce que, jusque-là, je trouve que je tapais vraiment bien dans la balle. Couper une quinzaine de jours après l’US m’a fait du bien. J’ai retrouvé Roger (Rasheed, son coach) trois jours avant le début du tournoi et il me fait bosser dur. Mais j’ai récupéré de l’énergie. » À confirmer en quarts contre le vainqueur du match Petzschner-Zverev.
He made a good impression… during 95% of his match. He had no problem with Kendrick’s serve, was leading 6-4 *5-4, but was too passive then and got rebroken, fell and ended the match limping. So the end of the match was weird, he broke again, was rebroken when serving for the match a 2nd time and stepped on the gas in the TB.
He says his left buttock is hurting and he must have a big bruise. Too bad because he means he was hitting the ball well during the first part of the match. He took 2 weeks off after the US Open and it did him well. He met Rasheed 3 days before the start of the tournament and Rasheed makes him work hard. But he has recovered his energy.

Truc 09-25-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truc (Post 7659952)
He also plays in doubles with Troicki. They play against Söderling-Wassen in the 1st round.

They lost, as usual - I think Gaël hasn't won a set in doubles this year! :worship: (But playing with Josselin and Gilles didn't help his record either.)

I watched the end of the 2nd set, it was quite cute, they looked like they were trying! His job obviously was to reach the dropshots, his left buttock seems to be fine.

He'll play Petzschner tomorrow. 7am French time.